houndman

Apr 6, 2008
ok so i got a 84 xr250r when i ride hard and the motor is hot (i know these motors run hotter than most)it sounds like my motor is low in oil ...but it is not i check it before every ride i run 20/50 castrol 4 stroke oil so what could be the problem valves clearance ? .....preformance isnt down still goes like sh*t just that im worried that i might sieze it and dont want to end up rebuilding it any help would help :clue:

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Could very well be valve clearance. Could also be a worn piston or if the valves were run too tight, you could have damage to your camshaft, rockers and sub-rockers. First thing to check would be valve clearance.

Sounds like it could be a maintainance issue to me. Or a lack of one. :nod:

houndman

Apr 6, 2008
it runs quiet when i first start it up only after i ride it hard and the motor heats up it doesnt lack power got lots of power ....well valve clearance check before next ride i guess ,must order clymer now only had bike 6 months maintance time i guess

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
I'm with Fox. Most times I've had noise problems after it warms up and not when it's cold, it has been jetting or timing.
I'd check valve clearance, timing, timing chain slack and clean the heck out of the carb and jets. Fresh gas and oil, too.

houndman

Apr 6, 2008
gets fresh gas everytime i ride and just changed oil and filter before last ride well going to shop :( this week some time i'll ask them to check that also.dont think its a jetting problem cause the bike is stock and runs and idles fine ....oh well tooo the shop till clymer comes :bang:

houndman

Apr 6, 2008
just got bike back from shop one valve loose by.08 and one tight they said if the same one gets tight next time it copuld be time for valve job" sound right ?"

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
You are supposed to tell us if your bike now runs correctly. 8 hundredths of an inch is a lot! When they get too tight, they are not closing all the way. Sounds about what 89er said?

Top Bottom