Lighter Flywheel???

owenlo

Oct 28, 2001
Anyone know anything about a lighter flywheel for a 2002 kdx 200? If not what about machining the one on it?? Has anyone done this? Is it worth it? Does the bike have a little more SNAP? Just curious!

Obie #8 ;)

owenlo

Oct 28, 2001
Did I FINALLY stump the mass'es? :think: This is definately a first. Never have I had a question go without an answer overnight! Hmmmm? This place is TOO full of knowledge for there not to be an answer to this one. By the way if anyone does know about the subject, How much was cost and Where did you get parts or machining?

Obie #8 ;)

Mac

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 17, 2000
Sorry I can't be of any help just wanted to let you know you're not being ignored just that lightening a KDX flywheel is not a popular mod so info on this will be scarce.

Since light flywheels are used in MX you may want to post this in the CR/KX/RM/YZ forum.

CO Dan

~SPONSOR~
Apr 20, 2001
Well, I had a different bike but the principal is the same.

On my 97 KTM 250 EXC, the flywheel weight was removable. As an experiment I had it removed.

Result - noticeably quicker acceleration but not a huge difference, stalled much more easily in the rock gardens, on roots, whenever the going got really gnarly.

Why? less mass to move made the acceleration quicker, but also made it easier to stop that moving mass, and therefore the engine

Conclusion? I put mine back on.

I wouldn't permanently alter the flywheel unless you can replace it. And I wouldn't do it unless I was going to ride MX or ride trails without much in the way of slow speed obstacles.

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
If its more snap you're looking for I'd look to your jetting rather than a lighter FFW. CO Dan's assessment is exactly what I would expect to hear and I'm sue you should expect the same results.

I'd suggest playing with new jet needles. If you want more snap look at a C taper needle. They can be had from Sudco, when they are in stock, for about $5. Check out one of the RB Carb mod threads for jetting specs. The starting points quoted there should be very close for you as well. Take note that RB modifies the slide from the factory 5mm cut away to a 7mm cut away.

You can also look at changing gear ratios. Stock the bike uses a 13/47 combo. Give a 12/47 combo a try and see how you like it. If its some thing you want to stick with go to a 13/50 combo when its time to replace your chain and sprockets. The 13/50 combo will require a 110-link chain.

David

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
owenlo:
Machining the flywheel has been done by at least one poster. 'Fraid I don't recall who, but you can find it with a search. He liked the result.

None of any riding I do would benefit from a lighter weight. That's why I tried a steahly and kept it on!

re: C-taper needles.

How you could use more SPIT in the woods than what you get with such a setup is beyond me. I can turn my bike into a REAL handful with a CEK.....and I doan WANNA handful!! ;)

I run a 12T CS sprocket most of the time. I can change to a 13T anytime I want to in just a minute. Can't do that with a 50T rear (change the ratio quick&easy). If it's something you want to be able to change (depending on where you ride perhaps) at all, keep that in mind.

Last edited:

owenlo

Oct 28, 2001
Thanks for ALL the info everyone. Like I said I was really just curious if it had been done. I already have 13/50 gearing and pretty much have the jetting dialed in, and YES it is more than I need. ;) I was really curious though, just to see if anyoine had done it and if it were a viable mod or not. Obviously not. I will stick with what I have. The great thing about this site---- You get a wild idea in your head then you ASK. That easy. I knew the stalling thing would come into play with a lighter flywheel but I wasnt sure iif it was that bad of a trade off.

Thanks again, Obie #8 ;)

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…