ThePearl

Sep 7, 2008
I need an upgraded lighting coil for my 2002 KDX 200. I put a dual sport kit on it and the stock coil won't even light the headlight. Who makes the best? I think Moose(65W) and FRP(85W) make them.
Anyone know who rewinds them for a cheaper price?

Shayne from Canada

By the way - love the KDX

ThePearl

Sep 7, 2008
I have the electrosport dual sport kit. An easy add on. Everything works well but it won't charge off of the stock stator. I have to keep charging the battery in the garage. As long as I don't need the headlight, the battery would run everything else all day, but the headlight drains it fast. I think I will go with the Fredette 85 watt stator. That's the highest wattage that I have found for the KDX that is not sent out for a rewind. I have a spare stator too so the bike does not need any down time for me to send it out for the core refund.
I would try to reind myself, but I am clueless when it comes to electrical stuff.
Shayne

theckeler

Feb 1, 2009
If you dump the stator think you'd sell it to me cheap? Looking to replace mine. I put on a Acerbis Dimension headlight (12V 35/35W) but who ever owned the bike last put in an odd stator (or did something to the existing one) and has an extra white wire and don't think it works anyhow.

rhansen

Nov 18, 2007
I had Baja Designs rewind mine to around 75 watts for $120. Their turnaround, from the time it left my house, till it arrived back at my house, was less than a week. The work was top notch, and the rewind carries a lifetime guarantee.

I think you'll find that no matter which stator/rewind you go with, the KDX still doesn't have much juice to go around. Remember, that 75 watts is probably at peak rpm. My turn signals are pretty dim, if:

I'm at idle, the 750 mah battery pack is dead, and I have my headlight on (ie. Baja Designs kit). Setting the idle a little higher, or revving the engine at a stop light is usually all that's required. I try to keep the battery pack charged as best as I can, and the switch to an LED taillight bulb has helped greatly. I don't think there would be any issue at all, if LED turn signals were used.

ThePearl

Sep 7, 2008
Hey theckeler,
I have an extra that came with some parts I bought. That's probably the one I would send away to get rewound. then I would have a spare in case something happens to the one in the bike.
If I buy a new high output one like the Moose one, I would cetainly sell you one of them. I have to do this soon so stay tuned.
Shayne in Canada!!

theckeler

Feb 1, 2009
ThePearl said:
Hey theckeler,
I have an extra that came with some parts I bought. That's probably the one I would send away to get rewound. then I would have a spare in case something happens to the one in the bike.
If I buy a new high output one like the Moose one, I would cetainly sell you one of them. I have to do this soon so stay tuned.
Shayne in Canada!!

Cool thanks... I haven't gotten my bike started just yet to keep testing it to see if maybe that extra wire is a floating ground or not. But, guessing it's messed up anyhow since most of the stuff on the bike was.

Top Bottom