Lights to make a Jap MX'er enduro ready?

Do any of you have experience mounting headlights on a Japanese motocross bike, specifically a 250cc two-stroke? I mostly run hare scrambles events, which don’t require lights, obviously, but I’m considering doing some enduros in the future, which do. I currently ride a KTM MXC which has a lighting coil and would be a slam dunk to mount up a headlight, but I’ve always liked Yamahas and am considering going to a YZ250 for my next motorcycle and I’m just curious if any of you have had luck making a Jap MX 250 enduro ready and what is involved on the electrical side and the expense. Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions.

Bob - I've used the e-line kit and it's really well made but it's pretty bulky and it adds a fairly substantial amount of flywheel weight.

The Electrex setup is a much cleaner approach in my opinion. http://www.electrexusa.com/ . Ricky Stator is another option along the same lines.

Rcannon

Subscriber
Rich, do you have any idea how much weight this adds?

I have the 10oz F-wheel weight on my YZ (97) now. Would the lighting kits you talk about keep this weight about the same if I chose to add one? I dont so much care about the exact weight, but I love the feel of my bike with the 10oz. I would not want to add or subtract much from this.

Originally posted by Rcannon
Rich, do you have any idea how much weight this adds?
The kit for the YZ400F added 19 ounces.

Lissa

"Am I lost again?"
E Line coil

I have the E line kit on my 02 YZ 250 and 1 on Lissa' 03 KX 250. I Believe it adds about 10 or 11 oz to it. I hardly notice it. It is also super reliable but expensive.

Rob.

Hey Rich do you happen to know how much weight a 99 yz250 system adds? Pretty curious because of Maplesville 24hr race. Raced it the first time and needed 100w system for HID lights and who might have this setup, Tom.

I've only weighed the YZF version, sorry.

Thanks everyone for the replies and info. At this point, I’m just thinking about it and trying to determine what will be involved if I swap my orange KTM for a Yamaha. I’ve been riding the KTM for three seasons now, and it’s my first European dirt bike, other than my old Rotax-powered dirt track racebike from years ago. I like a lot of things about it, but there are things I don’t like either…such as fork seals that seem to constantly leak, finicky jetting, odd suspension characteristics and lazy handling. That’s why I’ll probably go back to a Jap bike next time. But I do really appreciate how the orange bikes are so off-road ready right out of the box with the lighting coils, heavy flywheels and big fuel tanks. It’s a definite tradeoff.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
I have the eline on my CR and it is great for trail/enduro terrain.  FWIW, I rode an '01 CR250 with an 11 oz. flywheel weight and it felt like it had a heavier flywheel than my bike. 

how can a light kit add flywheel weight? isnt it just a head light and a new stator coil? I've heard that light kits add the "effect" of a 10 oz flywheel weight but it doesnt store energy for coming out of corners like a real weight.... Can someone tell me why it slows a bike down??

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
Originally posted by Nevada Sixx
how can a light kit add flywheel weight? isnt it just a head light and a new stator coil? I've heard that light kits add the "effect" of a 10 oz flywheel weight but it doesnt store energy for coming out of corners like a real weight.... Can someone tell me why it slows a bike down??
The eline has a magnet that bolts to the end of the stock flywheel.  I haven't weighed the magnet on mine.  The coils are mounted to the inside of the cover.  It has been explained to me that the flywheel magnet passing over the coils further smooths power over a normal flywheel weight, but I've got no way of knowing if that is true.   

I've never ridden my bike without the eline, but I can tell you it really hooks up.

Here's a pic.

http://www.elineaccessories.com/lightingcoils.html

Last edited: