Like new, barely used, mint condition

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
I don't know where some people buy their stuff new???

I just wasted another 3 hours of my life looking at a "LIKE NEW" bike this weekend. The picture on cycle trader looked good so I call the guy and then head down the road. I arrive to find a fairly dirty bike, with numerous scratches, a smashed radiator, 25% worn tires, and a worn out chain. Granted, the bike was very nice overall, but I would never try and pass that bike off as "LIKE NEW." I would have even bought it IF it were priced more like a used bike in good condition...but he was trying to get a LIKE SHOWROOM price for it.

Not too long ago, I received a "LIKE NEW" dented exhaust pipe from an ebay auction. The pipe is usuable and not bad overall...but once again, the picture was deceiving and the seller wasn't quite familiar with the fact that new pipes, or pipes that are "like" new ones don't have dents. I gave him a neutral rating and moved on.

Before that, I drove all the way to Southern GA to buy a "LIKE NEW" 2001 CR 250. Pictures looked great but when I got there, I could see where the bike had fallen terribly hard on the left side, bent handlebars, bent lever, smashed radiator, and it had about two pounds of sand in the intake/boot/carb. Which shop sells a new bike that is bent and full of sand?? :think: Price got better and I did drive all the way down there...so I brought it home. Parts of it looked new anyway and the outside was clean....it did clean up real nice.

Even longer ago, I received a "LIKE NEW" pipe that looked like it had been used to crush skulls in a DeNiro movie, run over by a lawn mower, and then a half-hearted repair attempt had been made. Once again, got burned by the picture and I did file a claim for this one. The seller is still pissed because he thinks I don't know what a "like new" pipe should look like.

I am finding that pictures may say a thousand words, but it's the words that are left out that get me.

I don't think I am being unreasonable.....I often buy stuff that is used and in good shape....but don't tell me something is like new unless it is.

PS: Everything I have bought from DRNers has been EXACTLY as described. :thumb:

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
Originally posted by Truespode
I have a like new pair of underwear for sale if you are interested?

:p

Ivan

I have about two pounds of sand for you to pack up your :moon:

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
i try to describe everything i sell as honestly as possible, even if it might hurt my sales chances or prices. i have 100% positive feedback.

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
How much you want fer 'em, Ivan?? :laugh:

jski

Sponsoring Member
Apr 5, 2001
I have been burned several times on e-bay with like new parts being complete junk or for the wrong year but I also have had good exp. as well. Hey I even got burned on here when I bought a Like New pipe that was full of dents and rust but I think this was a rare case because I have bought several items from here and have to say that everything went perfect.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
My wife is the worst eBay shopper ever. I should write a program to disable all keyboard/mouse input whenever she is browsing that site.

Most recently she bid on some doll clothing. Meaning to place a bid of $15, she mistakenly typed $1500. Needless to say, even with the "confirmation" page, she was the high bidder on that auction.

And just last week, she bid on a "Wizard of OZ" DVD. When it arrived in the mail, only then did she realize that it was not the colorful, Judy Garland, MGM version we're all so familiar with, no.... it's the 1925 black and white, silent film version.... and the storyline is different. The kids, especially my 3 year old, are going to love it as we sit around reading subtitles.

My wife is the easy prey that crafty eBay sellers hope for. While bidding on a $25 Trike for our son, she was ecstatic at the smoking deal she was getting. Well, that is until I pointed out that the seller was charging $69.95 for shipping and handling...

You can get great deals on eBay, but it's easier to get snookered these days.

Last edited:

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
Originally posted by TheJunkMan
thats what ya get for being an e-bay'er

The money I have saved on stuff that I bought from honest people has paid for two bad pipes many times over. That's what I get for being an ebey'er.

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
I'v been screwed on Ebay and on DRN also. I bought a pipe from a DRNer that was supposed to be like new. It was described as having "no dents or dings" in it. When it arrived, it had a few dents and dings in it, but looked OK overall. When I tried to bolt the pipe onto the bike, it was apparent that it had been nailed in the front at some point. The back of the pipe hit the left side engine case, and it had a nice little engine-shaped dent in it, too.

The moral of the story? USED PIPES SUCK. :think:

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
Originally posted by Truespode
I have a like new pair of underwear for sale if you are interested?

:p

Ivan

Do they come with a skid plate? :moon:

whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
Originally posted by TheJunkMan
thats what ya get for being an e-bay'er
This from the Junk Man :confused:

I sell and buy quite a bit on eBay and have found that you have to ask questions and if I don't get responses, I don't bid.
I happen to have a pipe on there right now, and though I did not list it as "like new" it is without dents or dings. I have tried to sell quality stuff and will back up any sale I make. There have even been times something never hit more than a buck or two and I miscalculated shipping and took a loss of a buck or two, but I went through with the sale, that's business. I also bought an expensive item recently only to find out it was damaged, the seller asked me to send it to the manufacture and have it repaired and he covered the repair as well as the shipping. eBay is a blast to shop for me, one GIANT yard sale, and I can look, buy or not, anything you can think of, except Ivan's thong.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
I just picked up a hood for my sled on e-bay, it was in better shape than the seller indicated, the guy drove 4 hours round trip to meet me (this was arranged AFTER I was already comitted), and then he proceeded to try to give me back $60 because the auction ended higher than he anticipated.  Oh yea, and it came wrapped in fuzzy blankets in a huge crate on a pallet, held down with tie downs.  He insisted that I keep all of that too! :laugh:

kelsorat

Knucklehead Newbie
Nov 5, 2001
After seeing a couple of bikes my buddies have purchased on Ebay, I'm convinced you must stick with bikes for sale in your local area. Pictures are decieving--You gotta inspect before you buy.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
I bought my KX on Ebay.... sort of.... but it was just as nice as advertised. Ya gotta read between the lines and ask lots of questions. But in the end: Caveat Emptor

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
Originally posted by Smit-Dog

Most recently she bid on some doll clothing. Meaning to place a bid of $15, she mistakenly typed $1500. Needless to say, even with the "confirmation" page, she was the high bidder on that auction.

Yeah; and I am still waiting for my $1500.00!!!! :p

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Trixie is seldom clothed anyway. After a few shots of "courage", I'm usually too clumsy and awkward to undress her.

Top Bottom