Johnnyboy

Aug 25, 2001
I've been riding an 83 kdx 200 for 4 years and I feel that I need a new ride. I rode a new one arond a parking lot today and up a steep little divider and I liked the power delivery, kind of like an electric motor. But I want it to have a little more zip when climbing hills. Granted the jetting was off, but just above idle the bike cut out on me and died as I was attempting the hill climb at low speeds. My 83 would, at this point pull a wheelie if you wanted it to. SO. Can these bikes be made to have strong power right off idle and still pull into the upper revs while maintaining the smoothness? What is the magic combo for torque?
I am definetly buying a 95 or newer kdx. Sweet package.
Anyone want to buy my 83? :)

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
'Can these bikes be made to have strong power right off idle and still pull into the upper revs while maintaining the smoothness?'

Yes.

If you buy it and never rejet it, it won't ever work like that. But it most certainly '..be made to..'

Johnnyboy

Aug 25, 2001
"If you buy it and never rejet it, it won't ever work like that. "

Duh.

Will the stock pipe pull hard on the bottom end or do I need to seek aftermarket vendors?

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Duh indeed.

Unfortunately, proper jetting....or even a 1/2 fast approach to proper jetting is often shied away from because it's perceived to be some black magic sorta baloney. In fact it's relatively straightforward and it pays off in huge benefits.

But there are a whole lot of riders that don't do diddle with it.

re: '...or do I need..'

Duh. ;)

Consider the stock pipe to pull hard on the bottom. In which case, the correct choice of aftermarket pipe will make it pull hard++ on the bottom.

It's a matter of relativity. It's not that the stock pipe is a dog that must come off post haste, but the replacement of the stock pipe is right up there with consideration as the biggest bang for your 'investment' $$.

Now THERE'S some black magic for 'ya! Considering anything put into your dirtbike as an 'investment'!!

Top Bottom