KIWI KDX

Apr 21, 2008
hey all, i just bought a yz 80 to teach my wife to ride, i know a 4 stroke would have been better, but i got offered his
92 yz 80 for 200 bucks, with a blown top end stuffed cylinder and sloppy bottom end, or so they thought...........

so i was going to re power it with a 4 stroke, only when i stripped it down, big end has done maby 5 hours and the barell is fine, so all it needs is a piston and rings!!!

so my wife is going to learn to ride on an entry level mx bike
shee'l be rite!!!!!

anyway i want to limit the power a bit, im going to run 2 base gaskets to lower the compression a bit, and sleeve the thrortte cable inside the carb, so she can only get half throttle for now.

any other ideas??????

KIWI KDX

Apr 21, 2008
governing a yz 80

hey all, i just bought a yz 80 to teach my wife to ride, i know a 4 stroke would have been better, but i got offered his
92 yz 80 for 200 bucks, with a blown top end stuffed cylinder and sloppy bottom end, or so they thought...........

so i was going to re power it with a 4 stroke, only when i stripped it down, big end has done maby 5 hours and the barell is fine, so all it needs is a piston and rings!!!

shee'l be rite!!!!!

anyway i want to limit the power a bit, im going to run 2 base gaskets to lower the compression a bit, and sleeve the thrortte cable inside the carb, so she can only get half throttle for now.

any other ideas??????

KIWI KDX

Apr 21, 2008
governing a yz 80

hope this works this time........

shee'l be rite!!!!!

any other ideas??????

2fiddyEXC2T

May 4, 2008
with the sleeved sleeved throttle she should be fine

Blink-182

Feb 2, 2008
i dont think after restricing it that much youll need more with that throttle tube you could limit it really low not even half throttle?

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Gee when you merge a double post is looks like deja vu all over again.

sixds

Mar 25, 2007
3 identical posts... i thought i was getting Alzheimer's :coocoo:

remember that your wife has a mind, she isn't a curious 4 year old on a pw50.

just tell her to take it easy until she can handle the bike...

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
also you can shave the cylinder in the bottom face and get the proper clearance in the head to gain more low end and throttle response in exchange for some peak horsepower...

it´s better you buy one of the eric gorr´s book, there´s lot of information but you can cut 0.7 mm of the base gasket face in the cylinder and remove the same amount in the head squish band and be careful to lower the compression ratio, because this move will increase your c. r. a lot!!!

or just send the cylinder to him...

this could be really, really stupid, but in some bikes with some weak ignition systems you have to decrease the spark plug gap over the original spec to ensure your engine don´t misfire high rpm, so in the back way you could get more gap, say, 1.5mm and see if acts like a rpm limiter...

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom