YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
I thought I'd try my hand at a woodsy report. Here goes.

It's 7:30am and the alarm is blasting in my ear. What the heck am I doing getting up this early on a Saturday. Oh yea... I'm going riding today :yeehaw: Pop up outta bed and head to the 7 yr old kids room to roust him from the dead. That done I throw some clothes at him and head out to hook up the bikes. Come back in the house and wake the kid up again, this time it sticks and he mumbles something at me under his breath :think: and starts getting dressed.

Its 8:00am and we are on the road. Hit the ATM, go back home to pick up all the things that I forgot, then hit Mickey D's for some grease and settle in for the short 1-1/2 hour drive to the staging area.

10:00 and We arive at the staging 7 mile staging area. Man that place gets farther away every time I go there. I spot my buddy Joe (530 KTM) and his wife Pat. Oh there is Jim from Manistee (wr426) and Lori from Ludington. I park the truck and here is Gary from Scottvile rolling in with his yz426 in tow. I head to the bathroom to get rid of an egg mcmuffin. Ahhh Thats better. Step out and there is Keith (yz250F)from Muskegon, his brother Kurt (WR250F) from Wayland, His other brother Kevin on a quad and Dan also on a quad. The gang is all here.

Well its off we go. This is gonna be an interesting ride. I am bring my kid along on this one. He is on a TTR90. He is 7yrs old and has been ridding since he was like 3-1/2 yrs old. So far the farthest that he has rode is 18 miles of Ceder Creek. So today is gonna be a challange. So we head out on the 2-tracks to get to the start of the connector trail that heads up to Lincoln Hills. The kid goes down in the sand right off the bad. Hmmm this may not have been a good idea to bring him. :think:

But he soon gets the hang of the sand and makes it to the connector trail. Once on the single track he does much better and zipps right along. We had to stop quite a few times in this section to remove trees from the trail. My kid is working out pretty good for me out there.

1. I have to keep an eye on him so I cannot be stopping all the time to remove trees and such
2. His speed is just about right that we can all work the trail cleanup and keep up in a group.

We started counter clockwise around Lincoln Hills and soon hit that logged section with all the down trees (you know the section Woodsy). That was fun. Give my kid a little folding saw and he is a happy camper. Although I think he is vying for Joes spot as the new trail boss. Every time we stop for a breather he is hollering at us to get moving. He screams out to us "I WANNA RIDE!!" I try to explain to my kid that he should take advantage of these moments and rest. I tell him that it is gonna be a long day and he is gonna need his strength. But nooo he keeps right on going. Oh well he will learn soon enough. His youthfull energy cant last forever can it??? CAN IT??

We continued on toward the bridge until Gary rides up and tells us about the fire in the trail that he just put out. We all were like HEHHH!!! He said that he rode right thru it before realizing that the trail was on fire. By the time he got back to it it was like a 4' section of trail on fire. He stomped it into submission with his boots until he was sure it was out. WE still dont know how that started. There were some campers in the area. Maybe an ember from there fire floating in the wind. Maybe a leaf laying on one of the 4 strokes exhaust ignited and fell on the trail. I really dont know. Kinda creapy.

We finially get to lincoln Bridge to find Pat and Lori in the chase truck mushroom hunting in the field. Um yea. I can tell who is doing all the work now. Its right about here that my kid informes me that he has to poop. God I love beeing a parent sometimes. So its off to the woods to teach my kid his 1st leason on pooping in the woods. 1st ya hotta find the perfect tree to drape your goods over. Hmm that aint working. Next best thing, squat down and lean back on a tree. yea this is working just grand. Ahhh what is that smell. No more mcdonalds for you kid. Nasty. With that wonderfull adventure outta the way its back onto the trail.

Next we come into a nice mile long section of sand woops. Oh joy this is gonna be fun for my son. He Starts hitting the ground left and right. Each time he hits the ground I can see a little bit more energy leaving his battered body. The end is near. We finially clear the sand woops and hit some really nice trail. No sand and tight. I am loving it. So I follow my kid for like 5 more miles. He is zipping along pretty good. No mistakes. But I know that it cant last. We have covered almost 20 miles and he wont last much longer. Finally we hit a xing and he says dad how much further is the truck?? Ahh the end has arrived.

The chase truck shows up and we load the kids bike up and send him on his way with Pat and Lori. Finially I can ride.

So I blitz on ahead to catch up with the rest of the crew that is like a mile ahead and start helping them with the trail work. Wow the trail is a lot more wooped out now that I am outta 2nd gear (behind my kid) I was getting so restless behing my kid I was starting to sing movie theme songs.

We finially get back to 9 mile road and it is everyone for themselves. It becomes a drag race, the quads on the wide track and the bikes in the single track. The quads have a slight advantage

ANd so the trail maintance is over. We load up and head to Twin Creek inn for some dinnner and......refreshments. A great end to a great day. For some reason my son seems to still have energy and is roaming around the place. That wont last long cause as soon as we hit the road for home he is out. Get home at like 7:30 and he stumbles into the house, hits the couch and is out again. AH haaa I have worn him out. It is possible. Kids do not have endless energy reserves.

Well its now 9:30pm and he is still out. I dont think he is gonna move from the couch tonight.

Well today I learned that I do not like teaching my kid to poop in the woods.

I learned patcience is sooo important. Its so easy to get exasperated at them. Ya just gotta remember that they are doing the best they can.

I learned that my kids maximun range is about 22 miles. Up from 13 miles last Sunday.

I learned that 4 strokes can apparently start forrest fires. God I hope I am wrong though.

But most importantely I learned that I can have a good time ridding with the guys with my kid in tow. Its happening, slowley, but it is happening. He is becoming my best ridding buddy.

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Oh by the way. The trail is clear, clean, and fast. Tear it up boyz!

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
YZMan, your story reminds me of my first rides with my kids. My oldest is the only one that still likes to ride. He started on an XR100, and I too would wait for him most of the time. Then he graduated to an XR200, and we rode fairly close to each other. Then he got my old XR250, and has since gone to a YZ250F and a CR250. Since the XR250, I haven't seen him much on the trail, he's off like a shot! Enjoy your riding buddy while you can still ride with him, he'll soon be waiting for you! :laugh:

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
"He is becoming my best ridding buddy."

IT DOENT GET NO BETTER THEN THAT FOLKS!!!!!!!!!
Sounds like "poopin in the woods" runs in your family there YZMAN, when you get real good at it you can go from a tree stand while bow hunting :) May I suggest that maybe the greasy stuff from McDonalds dont agree with you guys, perhaps Renie could help??
THANK YOU for the excellent trail report. I am sitting here at the PC with my leg numb and back throbbing and REALLY needing a ride - reading these reports is seconded only by actually riding!! I THOROUGHLY enjoyed your ride experience...
KEEP AT IT!
Sheeesh, that fire deal dont sound like much fun.. Good thing you guys were there!!!! All we need is for the National Forest Service to have another "issue" to blame on us!!
Also, THANKS to you and the West Michigan Trail Riders for the trail maintenance!! You guys are AWESOME!!
Woodsy

Nestrick

Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 6, 2003
YZMAN400 ... Hey, this story is a great tale ... you need to print it out and make sure to save a copy in a scrapbook for your son [put it with one of the pictures you have of him at this age in his riding gear with his bike] ... he's gonna grow up so fast from this point and his memory of events will likely not contain many of the details you have so openly divulged for all to see [and perhaps smell?]. I also recommend you ride as much as possible with him while you can ... once they get a bit larger, you only see them for 30 seconds at the drop site once the bikes are started.

My son & I began biking when he was 15 and I was 55 ... sort of the opposite of your development curve ... however, the outcome was the same, just in a much faster time frame for me. I never got to wait for him ... we skipped that part ... he only waited for me for the first season ... second season he would wave as he rode off with the refrain: "Take it easy Dad, don't get hurt ... see ya back here in an hour ... don't worry, I'll come look for ya if you're not back by then" ... really put me in a rather 'uncomfortable' position, especially when he'd say it loud enough for the other riders to hear.

Regarding 'pooping in the woods' ... I think this is very special training ... sort of 'above and beyond the call' [of nature that is] ... something your son will certainly remember his whole life. It made me smile and lol ... considering my own sorry situation [so to speak], I never got to poop in the woods until I was 56 years old ... had to teach myself and learn with all my riding gear on to boot! See what a service you have done for your son ... !!! What a story this will always be for you to tell at all the wrong times ... wait for his first serious girl friend, and then the wedding, and finally, those grandkids who will just soak up Grampa telling them something this funny [raunchy?] about their Dad.

I certainly enjoy your stories ... keep emulating Woodsy ... everyone has their own style and, from the reader's perspective, they're like eating different flavors of ice cream to me ... I enjoy 'em all.

terry nestrick :thumb:

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Yea we had a good time.

It was fun passing Keith as he was bending over to pick up his gear and giving him a boot in the butt.

Or passing Jim so close that I clank our handguards together.

I traded bikes with Joe and got to ride his big 520 KTM. Jeessss that thing has some grunt.

Ya know what they say "Youth and exuberance is no match for old age and tretchery" I still have enough trail tricks in my bag to keep the kid in my dust for years to come. Cant teach them everything there is to ridding. Some things they gotta learn the hard way.

2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
Great write up!

The Baldwin unit (USFS) has been putting out fires constantly for the past couple weeks, according to the Rec Manager I spoke with Friday. Interestingly enough, I went by one section on Friday which was fine and went back by it on Sunday and it was burned. Lots of fire break furrows in the area, some very fresh but I couldn't find the dozer doing it.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Great report YZMan!

Everytime you wipe your kid's butt, just remember that they may very well be wiping your's one day! And I'd much rather be wiping a little butt than a big one (not IMPLYING anything there!).

Several years ago my dad was waiting in line at a bank with his dad (my grandfather). Grandpa was pretty old and losing his facilities. Well, while standing in line, my grandfather informs my dad that he has to go to the bathroom. No, wait a minute, change that to "went" to the bathroom. Number #2. In his pants. Loose bowels. Yep, there's my dad, cleaning up his dad, in the bathroom at a bank. No hiding that smell either.

Be good to your kids, for it is they who will choose your nursing home...

Last edited:

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Smit-Dog said:
Be good to your kids, for it is they who will choose your nursing home...

No nursing home for me. I'm gonna die in the woods on my bike. :yeehaw:

I wanna be creamated :flame: and have my ashes spread over the start at Red Bud before the nationals. :aj:

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
Don, I'll take a guess that if your son can keep riding as he grows up he will not have the energy or desire to think of ways to get into serious trouble. But this is exactly what could happen when the 'nuts' stop us from riding in the public lands.

Top Bottom