Line Xing the plastics (PLEASE HELP)

yotahawk07

Jan 8, 2009
I have a buddy who works at a Line X shop and he told me that he could spray my plastics for my KDX 250 ive tryed to do a little research but have found nothing telling me if it will mess them up or eat through them and he has never done them b4 and one know if its possible or if its a good idea to do it he would be doing all the plastics and my tank.. and if anyone has had it done does it look good and how does it hold up to the trails?

Thanks
yotahawk

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I don't know why you would want to do it in the first place since anytime I've seen the LineX stuff it is thicker than the plastic on the motorcycle so all I can see it doing is adding weight which is counterintuitive regarding dirt bikes but if I was going to see if I liked how it worked I would find an old used piece of plastic at the local dirt bike shop and spray some of it on there for an experiment and then if I liked it I would think about doing it to my own plastics but I'm not sure I'd do it to my own plastics as I said before it would make them very heavy even though they would probably hold up to a lot of abuse on the trails but they would probably be kind of ugly and wrinkly

your pal
pred

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Papakeith said:
What possible benefit would linXing your plastic give you?
I wouldn't scratch as easy when you dumped a load of bricks on it and it would weigh more with the extra coating. I guess having all the ridges and stuff would help mud stick better as well. Now maybe in our world those are negatives but some folk have a different perspective. :laugh:

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Long sentences

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
I have used it on several different applications on automotive projects where I coated interior plastic and dash panels with it in different colors and using a different texture inorder to achive a custom look and it looked pretty good and it stuck to the original plastic very well in fact it is almost impossible to remove but I can't imagine why anyone would want to coat their gas tank and side panels with it because it would look like your gas tank and side panels had a bad case of the mumps.

SVTMc-G

Apr 1, 2006
Maybe it will help collect dirt samples from each place the bike has been. Some use jars on vacation....other may use dirtbikes!

yotahawk07

Jan 8, 2009
well looking at the weight wise it would add about 4 lbs which is nbd when your 175 ld on a 250 and the integerity of the plastics would be far more then bare but i just dont want it eating the plastic but i think im going to give it a shot on some of my old ktm **** and you can paint it what ever color you want so i dont think it will be ugly but thanks for everyones input

Gaffs-09

Dec 6, 2010
what is linxing it? some sort of coating, i once sprayed my ooooold rm125 '86 model. not linxng it but using paint, a proper job with a decent undercoat and overcoat clear. looked very good and it didnt reali scratch on small falls, still was perfect but it got a bit stuffed when i completely buckled my rear mudguard.....just saying...

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Even for free, it is a bad idea/waste of time. But from the kdx crowd? If he charges a bunch of money, it must be worth it! The rb website highly endorsed it! Vintage Bob

ridejunky

Dec 6, 2005
yotahawk07 said:
well looking at the weight wise it would add about 4 lbs which is nbd when your 175 ld on a 250 and the integerity of the plastics would be far more then bare but i just dont want it eating the plastic but i think im going to give it a shot on some of my old ktm **** and you can paint it what ever color you want so i dont think it will be ugly but thanks for everyones input
4 pounds clean but ride in any mud and you are going to have 20 + pounds. I cant imagine any circumstance where linex would give you any advantage over bare plastic. I put 303 protectant on the underside of my fenders to help keep the mud from sticking. What is it you are trying to accomplish besides destroying its resale value?

Top Bottom