Linkage Bearing Cages? What the........

MXN4FUN

Jul 7, 2000
Upon disassembly and brushing of the linkage bearings I found these little yellow bits coming out. They appeared to be a fragile bearing cage that comes appart at any attempt to clean them. Can they be removed and replaced with grease? Or is this some kind of lube imbedded polymer. I need to know if these are necessary, ice ride this weekend.

mgorman

May 8, 2000
I have never had a linkage or swing arm bearing that had the needles caged. Some companies have been known to use a grease that solidified over time. Since the linkage is resticted in its degrees of rotation, I would beleive it to be safe to remove all foreign debris and put the needles back in with a good grease.

------------------
Psyclemaniac
To race or not to race... now that's a dumb question

MXN4FUN

Jul 7, 2000
Thanx MGorman. I already removed the "stuff", bearings seem to work with much less resistence. Friction is the enemy of linkage so out it came. I am sure if it is wrong I'll hear about it. Just did the 250f now must do the 426.

WWR

Sponsoring Member
Jul 15, 2000
I have seen this before. The "cage" is more or less just caked-up grease that seems to have "dried" (maybe?). Clean, regrease, and go!

------------------
Paul
'97 YZ250
'86 VFR400R
Mechanical "nut"

johnf3

Mar 21, 2000
As soon as you described that stuff, I knew you must have been working on a yamaha. They all come with that funky stuff. And by the way, my KX 500 has caged needle bearings in the linkage, I think all Kawis do.

[This message has been edited by johnf3 (edited 12-22-2000).]

will pattison

Sponsoring Member
Jul 24, 2000
it's a lubricant impregnated polymer- sort of a cross between grease and wax. if it's falling out, then it's gotten dry or worn out beyond usefulness, and should be replaced with a good waterproof grease. if not, leave it alone, but put some grease on the seal lips.

------------------
will pattison
engineer, racer
ignition
www.ignitioninc.com

Nov 21, 1999
While cleaning linkage on my 98 yz for the first time hit bearings with air hose and blew this stuff right out. Took this stuff out (stuff, lack the correct name) just put grease and needle bearings back in. Is this ok??

MXN4FUN

Jul 7, 2000
Thanx for all the input. I removed it from my 250f and left it in the 426. Will pull it apart in a couple of months and note any irregularities. Will keep you posted.

Jeff Howe

Apr 19, 2000
I looked at that stuff for awhile and kind of decided I was just more comfortable with grease. But, I'm one of them guys that's always got my stuff apart.

Run em' if you like, mine come out and get replaced with grease. The way they come from the factory there is little grease in there between the actual needles and the sleeve. Possibly those yellow cages would prevent any junk from getting between and below the needles which might actually be good. I'm just more comfortable with the grease.

Next time I get a new bike I'll leave them in for a test of sorts.

Word, do you know if replacement needles come in the cage, or do they come bare.

A tip for you Yamaha owners: There are 28 needles in every linkage bearing. If you have less than that, you dropped one on the floor!

GlennP

Jun 6, 2000
The best lube I've found for linkage bearings is marine grade moly paste. This is a waterproof, highly concentrated extreme pressure lubricant. Its about $10 for a 1lb. can. It works especially well on the lower shock bearings, which are highly loaded and always seem to wear out first.

Glenn
'00 GasGas XC250

YZBlue

Nov 4, 1999
Sorry to revive an old thread but this information was useful to me this last weekend. I took apart the linkage on my 2000 YZ250, and only the connecting rod bearings and the relay arm bearings had the "yellow cage" stuff. The swingarm bearings did not have the "cage", although those bearings are in a metal housing.

The bearings that had the "yellow cage" were mostly dry, although the bearings did not look worn. The yellow stuff must have some decent lube retention qualities, but I removed the stuff anyway. I'm guessing that as long as you give the linkage some attention once or twice a year, the yellow stuff is not needed.

Next time I lube the linkage, I'd like to replace the oil seals and bushings. Anyone know of a good replacement kit?

Jeff Howe

Apr 19, 2000
Wow, that was an oldie. My opinion is buy stock replacement parts for the seals and bushings, if you need a complete linkage bearing rebuild kit the Pivot Works stuff is an option.

I can add to this a little a bit now also. I've had YZ linkages apart that were never greased that still had this "lubricant" in them that were totally roached. I've also been surprised some of them were not really bad, but definitely needed some attention. Most of the wear has been on the bushing, but if thats the case you can bet them needles are not much good either anymore. I still think it best to remove this stuff, pack with a good grease and service at proper intervals. Also pay good attention to the lower shock mount bearing on the shock itself. The needle type bearing on the 01 and up YZ's needs grease too.

Yoken

~SPONSOR~
Oct 18, 2001
YZBlue,

For info, I have used SKF seals with great success on the linkage of my KX. Part # are G20x26x4 and G16x22x3 (in mm). Just check with SKF what sizes you need for your bike as they probably differ from my KX.

I guess other bearing manufacturers offer similar seals too.

Cheaper and apparently more durable than OEM seals. OEM seals on my KX dried out and cracked easily. SKF seals have a single lip and I installed them inside-out, so that grease is allowed to come out when you press the seal in place. And the dirt stays out...

Top Bottom