KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
Nov 19, 2002
I just took apart my linkage. And what else is new?!?!... the stoopid needles fell out! So... Im like, fine ill get a new bearing. anyways, to my question... HOW IN THE WORLD DO YOU GET THEM OUT?!?! I tried pressing it wiht my vice, and smashing it with a hammer and socket, but that damaged 1 side, so now I DEFINATELY have to get a new one.. Luckily there 14 bux. Any ideas?

eldrm

~SPONSOR~
Nov 3, 2000
i had a friend who is a machinist press it out,they seem easier to put in with a vise or socket,but coming out was another story!

91KDX

Jan 23, 2003
I have a shop class in school and last year I replace the bearings on my swingarm and linkage in Metals Class. I rode my bike into town, Took it all apart, had to press most of the bearings out, put in new bearings and put it all back together. AND I GOT AN "A" I told my shop teacher it was my class project. My classes are 1 hour and 45 minutes so it took me like 2 and half classes to do. I live in a pretty small town so nobody noticed that I was riding my dirt bike down main street!!

Ben

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Depending on which part you're whacking on, you can easily cause a whole lot more than $14 damage.

By 'linkage' I presume you are referring to the unitrack and shock stuff?

And the 'one failed' is the bottom shock bearing?

You can count on this bearing being shot most of the time. Even with a decent maintenance schedule (say 3-4 times a year) it will go away.

Heat is easily applied to that bearing. No reason at all a vise won't get the job done. Of course, I'm not talking about a clamped on 2" panavise..but a 'real' vise.

Keep in mind that you should replace the seals...and you must replace the sleeve.

When you install the bearing, be sure it is placed in the middle of the knuckle. You don't want the assembly 'off center' in the knuckle.

Use the best grease you can get! NOT your one-each off-the-shelf chassis crap from the local schucks/pep-boys/kragen/whatever.

Get some waterproof belray grease (for example) from your bike shop.

While we're talking stoopid....

NOW is the time to check your swingarm bearings. If you think the unitrack is hard to work with, you may be in for a bad time getting the pivot bolt out of the swingarm.

KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
Nov 19, 2002
no.. to tell you the truth... i greased all of my bearings 1ce or 2wice last season. When I took off the seal bushing things to get at the bearing, the needles just fell out. Why does the middle sleve have to be replaced? it is in fine condition.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
That's not possible.

If the bearing is bad enough that the rollers fell out, the sleeve that rides on those rollers is toast.

Well...notwithstanding having something like an uncaged bearing where the rollers just do that (as from pivotworks). In which case pick up the rollers, clean 'em up and put them back in a likewise just-cleaned and packed shell.

Replacing the one (bearing) without the other (the sleeve) is stupid.

Yep. Sez me.

It's also a fact. ;)

Top Bottom