List bikes this engine will fit in

cleopatrisha

Dec 16, 2006
I inherited a good running 1981 yz250 motor and would like to know which bikes this engine will fit in. so I can go on a hunt for a frame for it. because this engine is too good to just sit around collecting dust.

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
A good fabricator could make that engine fit in any bike. If fabricating isn't your forte in life then probably a YZ 250 frame from '77 to '81 (I think). I believe '82 was the first generation liquid-cooled YZ. It'll probably drop into the '78 to '83 IT250 frame as well.

WoodsRider

Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
2 strokes for life said:
It will also fit in the DT250 frame. But who really wants that?

Right, but I remember reading an article in a British motorcycle mag that the DT/IT/YZ frames were the same. As were the engine cases. Suspension and internal engine components were the biggest differences. I know the monoshock DT's kept the steel swingarm, when the IT/YZ went to aluminum. The article also said Yamaha was still selling new DT's in the South American and Asian markets. Maybe a "late-model" DT frame, with the swingarm and front-end off an IT/YZ.

Jan 3, 2007
WoodsRider said:
Right, but I remember reading an article in a British motorcycle mag that the DT/IT/YZ frames were the same. As were the engine cases. Suspension and internal engine components were the biggest differences. I know the monoshock DT's kept the steel swingarm, when the IT/YZ went to aluminum. The article also said Yamaha was still selling new DT's in the South American and Asian markets. Maybe a "late-model" DT frame, with the swingarm and front-end off an IT/YZ.

That might also work. I love all those bikes and would not mind having one of those newer DTs.

WoodsRider

Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
2 strokes for life said:
That might also work. I love all those bikes and would not mind having one of those newer DTs.

I'm sure it would be fine and perfectly legal for post-vintage MX. The rules seem to change quite frequently and differ between various vintage organizations.

Only reason I'd go with a DT frame is chances are it would've been less abused than a YZ or IT frame. No use putting a good motor in a frame that's bent, stretched or has more cracks than a plumbers convention.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom