Feint Drift

Oct 27, 2003
About four of us went to a national park about an hour and a half away from where I live. From the start the trip was a disaster, for starters it had been raining the previous day so the trailers were like riding on an ice rink. Though the four wheelers were just having a blast in the mud. Within the first 5 minutes one of my friends hits a tree really messes up his thumb bad, its like it was put in a press; meat all coming outta places it should be, sick. So we had to leave take him to a doctor, well on the way out of the park, the guy I was riding with punched the (in the truck)gas kinda hard and made a left turn. Next thing I know he said man your bike just fell off the truck, I didn't believe him cause he always tries to scare me like that. I look and the bike is being drug down the road upside down with only 2 side straps still holding on :( We get out and check out the damage and see what happened. Come to find out the inside strap broke, there were four straps holding it down! I was shocked when we checked out the damage, its was my little bag on the back that saved my rear fender! Check out the pics: http://www.freewebs.com/feintdrift3/bike1.jpg
http://www.freewebs.com/feintdrift3/bike.jpg

The fender on the trailer caught part of my fender and the trailer tire burned a hole in my fender,smoke was all coming off, but I think it was also keeping the bike from completely just dropping to the road.

Its better it broke going down a regular road than if it had broken the highway :(

Feint Drift

Oct 27, 2003
any Ideas about replacement fenders, or parts, I'm thinking factory will parts will work but I'm wondering about some "cooler" looking fenders?

gwhII

Mar 31, 2003
Feint, you lucked out! Could have been LOTS worse.

-Greg

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Stop using straps and get a shoe. Here is a photo of one I got off eBay for about $30. It clamps the front wheel. A neat side benefit is that you don't compress your forks when transporting the bike.

Attachments

• shoe.jpg
    shoe.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 252
Last edited:

Feint Drift

Oct 27, 2003
Originally posted by skipro3
Stop using straps and get a shoe. Here is a photo of one I got off eBay for about $30. It clamps the front wheel. A neat side benefit is that you don't compress your forks when transporting the bike.

I haven't seen that before, looks like a very good alternative, much more reliable as well. I'll check on some of those, I guess it bolts to the trailer?

Y2Z

~SPONSOR~
Apr 6, 2002
straps get very loose in the rain, ours have come un-done a few times too. Tie the slack in a knot at the beginning of it to prevent it from pulling through.

KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
Nov 19, 2002
thats not too bad... when mine fell off my friends trailer, and got dragged down the rad for probably 20 feet... it burned a hole through my front brak elever, marked up my rear fender, and bent my subframe. you lucked out man.

Feint Drift

Oct 27, 2003
yea I was very very lucky, we were about to get on the highway soon. It was strange the strap broke right where the hook connects, the hook was still in the loop of the trailer, crappy straps, + the dummy that was driving just doesn't know when he needs to drive cautiously, and will be the last time he drives with my bike behind it :)

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
You can bolt it to a trailer or to the bed of your pickup truck. I've seen some guys bolt them to a piece of plywood then they move it from one trailer to another. I leave mine on a trailer, mainly because if a strap broke on my truck, the bike won't fall out of the bed.
When I first got it, I wasn't sure I could trust it, so I went out into a field and at 35mph, I whipped the trailer back and forth enough to get a wheel of the trailer off the ground; first one side, then the other! That bike wasn't going anywhere.

Feint Drift

Oct 27, 2003
also how about a new fender I guess they come in a set of 2 left and right sides, how much do those run, any certain brand to use ?

Thanks

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
I found some tie downs at Wallyworld that clamp down instead of cinching down,
They hold my bike really solid and don't slip at all.
The strap could be a lot beefier though!

I hit a nasty water bar last nite leaving Johns Peak!
I can't see very well at night anyway and without my glasses I was flying blind!
I nailed that thing so hard stuff was flying all over in the cab! I got out and I was amazed that my bike was still there!!

Attachments

• tie down.jpg
    tie down.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 134

Feint Drift

Oct 27, 2003
Originally posted by wibby

Huh? Lefty and Righty? you sure you aint riding one of them Four wheeled thingy's

lol yea I'm sure :) mine seems to fall over often its defenaitly 2 wheeled(especialy in the mud)

So where can I get some nice fenders its just the white parts on the bike pics a few threads back, its 03 kdx 220.

Dennis Kirks mag didn't have anything I could find, any ideas?

gwhII

Mar 31, 2003
Skipro3,

Would you mind measuring the length of the mounting crossbar (the bar with two screw holes perpendicular to the tire)? I've got a three-rail trailer and want to see if it'll fit without me cutting and welding on a skid. I'd love to retire my tie-downs.

My other option is to buy a couple of the PC Racing fork supports and keep using tie-downs.

Best,
Greg

Feint Drift

Oct 27, 2003
Originally posted by Twiztid One

you can get the UFO panels here but in green . http://www.frpoffroad.com/index.php?page=kdxposed

yea I'm thinking the white will look better than green, gotta keep looking, the ones in the pics look cool but guess that isn't for my bike year/make

91KDX

Jan 23, 2003
You guys are really lucky. I would rather be any one of you than me. A buddy and I were driving in a remodled buss, we were going down to ottawa il. for a day of riding. We put the bikes on the trailer and get going. Well my bike was on the outside slot and the inside strap broke. Now sitting in the front of this huge buss made it hard to see the trailer so every 30 minutes somebody would have to go to the back of the buss and check on the bikes. Well need less to say you can travel pretty darn far in 30 minutes but luckily my bike was only dragged for about 2 miles. It destroyed everything on the front left hand side. The tires of the bike were still on the trailer so the entire side wasn't ruined. The road wore right through the top clamp and left fork. You can see now how lucky you are. And I will never use one of those trailers again..

Ben

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
First things first:
1. Wibby, I see you are a Jeff Gordon fan.
2. gwhII, it is 11 inches. Photo enclosed. PM me for more photos.
3. 91KDX, send us photos if you got 'em. If that happened to me, I would be sick over it, but since it didn't, I just want to see the gore.

Attachments

• dsc00038.jpg
    dsc00038.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 75

KDXNick

~SPONSOR~
Oct 15, 2002
Always use tie downs that are in good cond. and clean. Tie off the slack too, they cant slip this way. Those things that you can stick between your front tire and fender help too. My best friend (and riding buddy) has the same problems because he uses dirty or frayed tie downs while driving like Paul Tracy. Always tie your own bike too. I let my friend load mine once only to watch my bike fall after an old tie down snapped as I followed him with the gear in my truck (he swapped one of my Ancera's to use on his KTM, but fortunatly my bike fell into his KTM and not over the side of the truck).
-Nick

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Multiple straps! Let me stay it again multiple straps! I use no less than four high quality straps per bike while in the bed of the truck. When on a triple rail trailer I use no less than Six straps. All straps are my straps. Inspect them every time you use them. Never borrowed them. I always tie down my bike. Never letting anyone do it for you! Note: Triple place trailers want to eat your bike! Tie down your bike the same way every time. On the triple rail trailer I will use a short ratchet style strap to secure the front rear tires to the rail, two heavy duty straps from handle bars to the trailer frame for front, and one from each rear sub frame pulling backwards. When doing multiple bikes on the trailer. I will do an X pattern with the straps between the bikes I also have a 2"x2" wedged between the frame in front of the fuel tanks so they pull against each other. Remember to check your straps while on the road. The bike you save most likely it will be yours!

91KDX

Jan 23, 2003
I took pictures of my bike, but have not gotten the film developed yet. When I do I will need somebodies help to put them on the internet.
Benjamin

Feint Drift

Oct 27, 2003
Originally posted by 91KDX
I took pictures of my bike, but have not gotten the film developed yet. When I do I will need somebodies help to put them on the internet.
Benjamin

I can put them up for ya, drop the pics off at drift@triad.rr.com if ya want me to put them up.

Top Bottom