Little info on riders for upcoming Nationals.

Mxracer695

Jan 5, 2002
This was posted on racer-x web site. Here is the link http://www.racerxill.com/041703_Dunlop_Day.cfm
for all who cant get there read what ive posted below.

Testing, Testing…
Dunlop Tire Day with Windham, RC, Alby and more
story and photos by Eric Johnson

During the off-season, the globetrotting race team that comprise the Formula 1 and MotoGP World Championship series use the Spanish race circuits of Jerez, Valencia, and Catalunya to not only shake down their multi-million dollar race machinery, and to test and develop tires. Tires play a crucial role in both forms of motorsport, and “getting it right” (whether it be the race teams or tire manufacturers) is crucial to a successful season.

On Wednesday afternoon at Glen Helen Raceway in San Bernardino, California, Dunlop not only introduced its factory-spec motocross racing tire (the D756RR), but also allowed many of the riders to get valuable track time in on the Glen Helen National circuit they will race upon in less than a month. And much like the F1 and MotoGP syndicates, a significant number of U.S.-based motocross stars showed up to test and dial in their National bikes and get a feel for the Dunlop rubber they will run come May 11. There were so many top guys there, it was like a mini-Glen Helen National preview!

After an enjoyable motocross Jeopardy session hosted by Art Eckman and six-time AMA National Motocross Champion and Dunlop racing principal Broc Glover – members of the media were called up to test their knowledge about everything from the Motocross des Nations to facts about Ricky Carmichael – dozens of riders took the immaculately groomed Glen Helen circuit.

Just who was on hand and putting in laps?

Six-time AMA National Motocross Champion Ricky Carmichael: “It’s nice to be riding on an outdoor track. I just want to get the supercross series over with. It seems like it’s dragging.”

Coming off of the injured list after more than a year, Kevin Windham is back with Honda and a satellite team supported by Factory Connection: “I feel great. My hands are toughening up. I’m in shape. I feel great on the Honda 450. I can’t wait for Glen Helen. It’s good to be coming back.”

Another Honda rider, Nathan Ramsey, is also back on the bike after a long time on the sidelines. Ramsey has missed the entire supercross season with the same femur break that Windham suffered. And like Windham, Nate Dawg was putting laps in on the Honda CRF450R to get ready for Glen Helen.

Red Bull KTM’s Grant Langston was back on the bike, saying “I’m pretty much healed up and ready to go” after surgery on his wrist.

Langston’s new racing teammate is Ryan Hughes, who just won the White Bros. 4-Stroke World Championships at Glen Helen on Sunday, but was on the KTM 125SX for Dunlop Day. “I feel good on the 125. I’m really looking forward to racing the 125cc opener here,” said Ryno. “I know Bubba and Jesseman will be tough, but I think I can be right up there.”

Ryno’s younger teammates Billy Laninovich and Steve Boniface were also on hand, as was Brett Metcalfe, who suffered that bizarre crash at the Pontiac SX. “I’m still sore from the crash, but I’m really happy to be able to get some time on the Glen Helen track before the first National,” said Metcalfe. “I can’t wait for the outdoor races to start. I think it’s going to be really good for me.”

Moto XXX’s Larry Ward was hanging out at the Dunlop truck. Larry’s teammate Clark Stiles was there, and so was Kyle Lewis – another rider who missed the entire U.S. supercross season, with a broken wrist. “Man, I can’t believe how much of a badass Mike LaRocco is in how he came back from his wrist injury so quickly last year,” admitted Lewis, the likable veteran leader of Moto XXX. “My wrist and arm injury was a lot like his, and I’m only now getting back on the bike. I have a ways to go, but I’ll be ready for Glen Helen. My wrist is in pretty good shape, but my doctor told me I’ll only have a 70-percent range of mobility in it.”

Yamaha of Troy’s Brock Sellards and recent Pontiac winner Ivan Tedesco were also at Glen Helen. “Man, it was nice to get that first supercross win,” said Tedesco. “It feels like I got a monkey off my back. They always say the first one is the toughest. When I finally won my first supercross, I was like, ‘That was pretty easy. Why didn’t I do that before?’” Josh Hansen, who’s coming off a good showing in Dallas, and back-from-injury Craig Anderson were also under the Yamaha of Troy tent.

And finally, Suzuki-mounted Greg Albertyn was on the track and looking very good. “I’ll be racing the Glen Helen National, for sure,” said the 1999 AMA 250cc National Motocross Champion and three-time World MX Champion. “I’m using it as a goal to get in shape and put time in on the bike.”

Top Bottom