MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Saturday morning opened cool and crisp, a perfect day for trail riding. Badgerman arranged a ride with his co-worker Russ, and Ian, Sparkey, Craig and myself took him up on the invitation to go along. The Grand Rapids group met at a Park and Ride and buddied up, heading off to Russ' property on the southern edge of the trail.

Up the road north and west, we met the trail within a short distance. I hadn't been on the Little Manistee in years, and frankly on that ride I wasn't too impressed (a CCC ride), thinking it was basically a whooped out sand pit. We were all greated with a great surprise, as the first parts of the trail were fantastic! A variety of it all greeted us - nice fast single track, tight twisty hardwood sections, big whoops and sand, tricky up hills and downhills, smelly, stinky deep muck and a couple good water crossings.

This trail system has both single track and open ORV route stuff, so the squidley's on the ATV's and non-spark-arrested MX bikes pretty much stay to the open stuff where they can hone their talent on going straight, fast and impress no-one.

Twenty seven miles into the dream trail, I hit the wall with my glucose level. Darn it!! I felt it coming, but stupid me didn't pull over to take care of it when I felt it. I thought we had a little ways to go, but the next thing I knew I felt like I was going to black out or something. Good thing I bought some Chuckles just in case. After eating those and going through the sweaty shakes, I was quickly just fine, like someone turned on the light switch. Weird.....I gotta learn to work with this better than I have been.

Craig and Badgerman were off like lightspeed at each stop - man those guys are awesome riders. At least I think so, I don't get to see them actually ride much! Sparkey, Badger Jr, Russ and myself were a tighter group. Sparkey had just gone through an oil change on his bike and was trying at first to adjust to the different reaction, but quickly got used to it and picked up the pace.

Despite that fact that each of the parking areas on the trail had a lot of people parked there, we didn't see many people on the single track. The only time we ran into people were within a couple miles of each parking area, and then they were most often on the ORV route anyway. The combination Route/Trail system is pretty nice, keeping the ATV's and MX bikes on the route, leaving the trail to those of us that like that kind of riding. I didn't see many spots of single track that were over-run by ATV's like what's going on with other trails that used to be more single-track-like, but are getting widened by 4-wheelers.

The only fall was Russ. I came upon him after he got entangled in a couple good-sized logs. His big DRZ was right on top of him, only his head visible. I was just about ready to drop my bike and run to him and help out, certain that he was hurt. Somehow he got that beast off of him, it must have been adrenaline because he lifted it like it was a titanium-framed 125. Thank God he was just fine, it looked pretty gnarley.

I followed Ian through some of the hilly sections, and marveled at how much he looks like his Dad riding. He's got the same technique going, especially how he's able to rear-wheel steer around tight tree-filled corners. Very impressive! In another couple years I'm sure they'll be battling each other for the front line.

Unfortunately what comes with low blood sugar levels is also a drop in potassium levels, and at about mile 40 just about every muscle in my body started cramping up. Geez!!!! Anyway, Russ took the opportunity to bail out and we took off down the road to his place. Even though we were on the road, Craig and Badgerman were able to meet us at the road crossings.

Thanks to Badgerman and Russ for setting an awesome ride! I'll be taking in the Little Manistee again for sure!

I know this is a pretty shallow trail report, but it's really tough to beat YZMan, Nestrick and Woodsy with their prose!

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Nice report Mark.

Like you I was supprised how nice Little Manistee is. Until this spring I hadent rode it in years. It is in really nice shape. Just as you have described. I have been out there 2x this year and loved it both times.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Just checkin in, sometimes it pays off like this time!! Only Yzman beat me to the draw on a response to Mark for a report WELL DONE!!! Sounds like you guys had a BALL Mark, inspite of "sugar" problems. Yea, riding with that Badgerman crew will keep you on your toes, thats for sure! Really nice that the single track has that "highway" running beside it to keep the traffic down. I have also noticed that when that is the case the majority of riders tend to stay on the highway. Makes it FUN for us tree bangers dont it :)
Thanks for the GREAT report Mark!
Scott

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Mark,

You're my hero buddy!

Thanks for recounting the day's events for us...........best ride I have had in quite some time. Trouble is though..........now Woodsy's gonna go up there and shred that nice trail with his KX as soon as he's healed up! I guess the cat is outta the bag ;)

I would also like to thank the Carrieville gas station for the 93 octane and the butter pecan, as well as the Chase Creek Smokehouse (GREAT BURGERS AND BURRITOS!).

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Ah yes, we can't forget the Chase Creek Smokehouse! That place deserves a ride report of its own. For those heading to any trail in the Baldwin area, you have to plan a stop there for dinner on the way home!

I really debated putting a ride report on about the Little Manistee. Actually, I started one that read like "crappy trail, don't bother going there" then realized that's kind of selfish as I was trying to keep a good thing to myself!

Is Lincoln Hills in good shape as well? I remember parts of that being really prime riding, while other parts were really whooped badly.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
hey hey hey now your hitting a nerve. If it gives you any clue, I consider the south east portion of Lincoln hills as part of the Boon Trail (wink wink). And NO its not because I get lost there too (beating Young Ted to the draw).
Badgerman - Just be careful about those comments about Kadie - she only "shreds" when she has to - usually in self defense!!

Nestrick

Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 6, 2003
Hey Mark

Don't know you personally yet ... but I can smell what you like from what you write:

'... the first parts of the trail were fantastic! A variety of it all greeted us - nice fast single track, tight twisty hardwood sections, big whoops and sand, tricky up hills and downhills, smelly, stinky deep muck and a couple good water crossings."

Fancy prose may get you to the page ... but fun riding with your buddies will get you on the trail and give us all the flavor of your day. The trail mix you describe needs no fancy words ... it says it all ... sounds like a perfect day to me!

Regarding the 'low sugar' thing though ... please, do take your body's signals very seriously ... the effects are somewhat cumulative and become worse if you tend to ignore them. Be sure to respond immediately when you recognize the symptoms so you can have many, many more years of great riding ahead!

terry nestrick :cool:

Top Bottom