Little RJ rips up the track (following in big bro's knobby tracks)

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
Well, the Fall MX Series at Airway Heights just ended yesterday afternoon.

My son took 1st in the Series for the 80 cc Beginner Open Class and 2nd in the 80 cc Beginner Class. One siezed bottom end, one slightly scored cylinder, and one bug in the carburetor that plugged the main jet but, he stuck it out and with Karl's expertise at over the phone diagnostics to me in the pits we got him through the series, safe sound & rippin around!

The Cinderella story though is his little sister, my 9 yo baby girl. She inherited his 96KX60 last year coming off of the 74MR50 and LEM LX2. She wasn't too interested in MX until she saw all the trophies he was winning. So, she raced a few races in the Spring series, just kind of putting around the track pulling up the rear of the 60's Beginner Class, 60's Open Beginner Class and the occasional Women's Class.

She wanted a new blue helmet and a new blue chest protector to go with her blue gear so I made a deal with her - I'll buy both if you want to race the Fall Series. She said she was in. We picked up her new gear and picked her Fall Series Classes. She started to really pick up speed each moto, each lap even. She started battling back & forth with the kid just ahead of her, soon she was picking off the next one up until, this Sunday and she put on her race face!

Like I said, she raced a few moto's in the spring and we went to the track where I followed her around a couple times over the summer. She did well in the first couple rounds of this Fall's Series but was still last or close to it but she really only had about 10 - 12 real times out on the track. Two weeks ago, she rode the 60 Beginner Class and while waiting for her brother to get his trophies, she looked up at me and said "I want to run 2 classes next time." woohoooo, no problem!

So, on the way to the track yesterday, she was discussing some of the sections on the track with her big bro - the 80 Beginner. He told her she could clear the double along the gate and she said she thought she could too. They talked about various techniques and she was totally ready to ride.

She decided to ride the 60 Beginner Class and the Women's Beginner Class because one of her friends had just started racing the Women's Class on her KX85 in addition to her quad racing.

1st Moto in the Women's Class, she's at the gate on her little KX60 with 2 new CRF230's, a KX125, and a KX85. Gate drops & she's 2nd or 3rd out of the gate and a solid 3rd around the first corner with one CRF230 and the KX125 ahead of her. The CRF230 gal has really picked up speed over the Series too but my baby is determined to catch the KX125. She tried the double on the first lap and came up a bit short but saved it and kept right on flying. She was riding so fast it was scaring me to death. She finally cleared the double sometime during the moto, I was too worried about her to keep track! She came in 3rd just a few bike lengths behind the KX125.

Next moto was the 60 Beginner Class which they ran with the 80 Beginner Class with her big bro & his buddies on a split gate. She got a decent start and was running a strong 4th out of 8 against the 60's. Her bro's buddy took 1st in the 80's and caught her at the finish line just before she was going to get the white flag and one more lap so she took 4th but he big bro didn't catch her.

2nd moto in the Women's Class, she was first out of the gate but the bigger bikes soon overtook her in the corner. She looked like a bee chasing the KX125 all around the track. She was clearing the double, none of the other riders were even trying, she was clearing the table tops and just hauling booty!!! I was a nervous wreck!!!! She took a better line & shot in front of the 125, then the extra cc's of the 125 kicked in & the gal passed her in the straight away. She kept working to get by her again and she was almost past the 125 coming up the finishline hill for the checkered flag but again, the greater power of the bigger bike kicked in and she came in 3rd by a bike length!

2nd moto of the 60 Beginner Class and she was again at a split gate with big bro & buddies. The 80's took off & big bro was looking fine in 1st place. I turned to watch the 60's gate drop & she hit the holeshot, first through the corner but two zippy little guys caught her. One of the normal leaders went down just out of the gate (he's one of the kids in our pit too and his dad's been warning him that my daughter is working to get past him). She was holding a strong 3rd but the boy that crashed was up, mad and riding FAST!

He finally caught her but she was holding her own for a good lap. She had a small get off on the backside and the other 3 behind her got by. She caught them on the frontside and was riding awesome hitting the double everytime. Karl & I were nervous wrecks from trying to watch both kids, fly around the track. I saw her go past another little guy on a KX65 then, I saw a little green bike fly over the tabletop, overshoot the landing and cartwheel. "Oh, no it's the other little guy on a Kawi" I told Karl. As I moved closer to make sure the flaggers were aware of the crash on the other side of the jump, I saw the other little guy on the Kawi come around the corner to where we were. I yelled to Karl "IT"S RANDI!!!" and took off at a full sprint. The other little guys dad was already there, talking to her, the EMT had just arrived and was checking her out. Everything was okay but she had a big bump above her right eye. The bike has bent bars & the front wheel needs some straightening but she got up & walked back to the pits with me.

She said she had just passed the other Kawi and wanted to catch the little boy that was ahead of her. When she hit the face of the jump she was in 4th and full throttle instead of her normal half throttle. The front wheel hit a braking bump past the landing and she just flipped. The other dad said that's what he saw too.

So she's taking a few days off from soccer and I let her stay home today to rest up and keep on the Jr. Motrin. Her eye has a bump above it & a slight scrape but so far it isn't swelling shut or too black and her little hip is stiff so she's icing the bumps. I asked her if she wanted to race still and she said "Well not right now but when I feel better I will."

We will be working on more technique that is for sure. She amazed us with how quickly she picked it up and with how brave and determined she is. Everyone at the track was amazed at how quick she went from putt-putt to speed demon. I think a good motocross class is in the works for her next spring - I know it helped her brother improve safely.

Karl & I took a little ride after we got home last night - I don't know if it's the adjustments we made on my suspension or the changes I tried in technique that he suggested but I think it was mainly the thought in the back of my mind that I better step it up & get faster or my kids will both be leaving me in their dust but I rode faster than I ever have! I've known for quite awhile that I can't keep up with my son on but now I won't be able to keep up with my little girl either! :eek: :cool: :ride:

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
That's awesome. Tell her great job on the races..even if she did crash and burn (been there done that!). That's cool she can look up to big brother!!

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Wahoo, way to go Randi :) (and Pat)
You're going to have to turn into a mx mum lol. haha, I can just see that (not).

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Wow, what a couple of great kids there! Ya know, I just hate getting smoked by them little 60's on the MX track in the women's class. That's probably why I'll stick to the woods! :laugh:

Hope Randi's feeling better soon. Sounds like she has some great potential there!

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
Great commentary bbbom! It almost felt like I was there. I think your kids and the zoomer kids should get together for a little race action. Sounds like they may be able to give the little zoomers a run for their money! :)
I can't believe how fast kids pick this stuff up and improve practically over night. Wish it was that way for some adults. :laugh:

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
gospeedracer said:
I can't believe how fast kids pick this stuff up and improve practically over night. Wish it was that way for some adults. :laugh:

Tell me about it! I can't even get the guts to try the double!

Thanks for all the well wishes gals, she's back a school today and the eye looks good. She has just a small dark bump there and a little stiffness in her hip so I told her she could skip P.E. for the week.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Cool deal Bbbom! Tell Randi congrats for me.

Who all was there? I heard Kalee Morris was out with a broken let. Was Lacee there?

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
I'll tell her for you FC.

Yep, Lacee was the one on the 125 with Randi nipping at her rear tire, it was really fun to watch her on her little bike come buzzing up & Lacee would see her & twist it to get in front of her.

The gal in first is a new older (my age) woman that showed up at the Spring Harescrambles and took the women's class (only entrant). She was really slow early this season too but has really picked up speed. I talked to her a few times & she doesn't like air but she really hauls on the straights and holds good speed in the corners.

There is another gal that is friends of the Morris' from Canada, probably 30's - 40's that rides a new CRF230 too, she's just starting out.

Kalee is out with a broken leg from the first round of the series. She landed sideways on the backside of the same table Randi crashed on.

Kinz is on the KX85 now in addition to her quad racing. She's just getting used to two wheels but she rips on the quad. I'm sure she'll be getting her speed up soon too.

Lisa raced the women's class Saturday but was helping to score laps on Sunday, she likes to do it for fun. She's been trying to get me out there but I have my hands full with the kids (good excuse & I'm keeping it!).

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I finally made it up to watch my nephew (Devin "The D-Train" Carscallen) race at the finale, bbbom, and noticed your daughter! My brother made a point to tell me that she smokes "Twistin'" Tristain Ward (my bro and I aren't big fans of young Master Ward's father). If that gal hadn't been on the 125, I know your daughter would have beat her!

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
Thanks XRP!

Which class was Devin in?

It was pretty entertaining to watch her battle the big bike with her little bike, especially when I think back to her putt putt mode when she first started in August. She definitely has the determination to race.

On the way home she said "I know I can get first." Had to agree with her but also tell her she needs to work on controlling her air time better!

Are you doing the Scarescramble? I guess they are adding a Jack & Jill Class so Karl & I may just do it this time. We are hoping for rain cause we like the mud!

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Dev was in 50 beginner, 'til last week when he wrapped up the title (not bad for his first year), so my bro moved him up to Junior, and I believe 50 super mini (whatever that means -- same kids in the race). The kid is gonna be something if he can keep his head in it (and if Dad's pocketbook can keep up!)

We have not committed to the scarescramble yet, since we "retire" after every race up there, only to forget how much the rocks beat us up by the time the next race rolls around. While I don't like the dust, I could do without mud ;)

C

CaNaDiAn,Eh?

That's awesome, I'm glad she had a good time, to bad she had to crash in the last race. Still though she's doing awesome!!!! It's great that you let her race, I know I would love it if my parents would let me race mx.

Top Bottom