Scott in KC

~SPONSOR~
Aug 28, 2000
Planned on heading down to Oklahoma to try my hand at the sand next week. Man, it looks like regular temps are going to be mid 90's! My buddy says it's dry & windy and really not too bad. Sounds freaking miserable to me. The heat doesn't bother me too much...kicking an overheated Husaberg in a helmet & riding gear, in a desert (however small it may be) doesn't sound that appealing. :scream:

Any locals have a take on it?

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
we rode out there for two days in '99 at the end of july. it was over 100 but it was no big problem. you ride fast enough on the dunes to help keep you cool. the bad part is the camping. get electrical hook ups and bring a fan or air conditioner and it's tolerable.
have you ever been there? it's an awesome place to ride.

Scott in KC

~SPONSOR~
Aug 28, 2000
Never been. But excited to go! Thanks for the info, I feel a little better about it now. I figured with the more moderate speeds & dry air it might not be too bad, just wanted to confirm with some other riders. We're staying in a hotel. Screw camping in the summer!!! I can't sleep when it's all hot & muggy.:scream:

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
do you know that you have to run a flag on your bike?
we go out there about 3-4 times a year. there are not alot of bikes there, mostly quads and buggies. get ready for the best riding of your life. it's a blast.
for more info check out www.waynoka.com/littlesahara.htm

Scott in KC

~SPONSOR~
Aug 28, 2000
Picking up a flag this week. The dude I'm going with knows the drill down there and rides a 400ex quad, looked like he had a blast from the vid I saw!

I wasn't real sure how fun riding a 2 wheeler in the sand would be? Sounds like you enjoy it!

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
my buddy rides an xr400, so your berg should do as good or better than it. i recommend a paddle tire but it is not a must. if you run a paddle, be sure to run your rear wheel as far back as possible. the paddles can rub the swing arm and tear up your mudflap if it is too close. you might want to pick up two flags. i guarantee that you will break at least one. if you buy one at the dunes, be prepared to pay alot more.

Scott in KC

~SPONSOR~
Aug 28, 2000
The 'berg likes to run that's for sure! Not the best bike for tight tight trails, but man you get it out in the open and it pulls like crazy. We'll see! I'm definitely more excited after getting a few answers from you guys.

Thanks again

Scott in KC

~SPONSOR~
Aug 28, 2000
Just got back.......I'M HOOKED! The 'berg did great...still had some starting issues, but the power was more than enough to rip it up! I rode my friends 400EX quad some and it's a real toss up between that & a bike in the sand (I hate riding quads usually.) The quad was fun in the really deep sand, high banked trails where the bike was futile. And a quad is definitely more recreational than a bike, like for less aggresive types, kids, etc. But, in the open dunes and for jumping & climbing the bike is WAY more fun! Just unlimited air everywhere. It's like snowmobiling in the powder...which until now was the ultimate. What a rush carving the face of one of those huge sand bowls 4th gear pinned!!! Yes, it was hot. But, not nearly as uncomfortable as it is here in KC with the humidity. Dry as a bone down there. Riding from morning until 2pm was good, then back out at 6 pm until dark. Everyone down there, locals & riders alike were very friendly.

Thanks again for your help!

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Originally posted by Scott in KC
I'M HOOKED! What a rush

did i tell you it was a blast or what? if it wasn't so far away (4 1/2 hours), i would probably quit racing and just ride there.

Top Bottom