firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Well, after putting it off forever (due mostly to laziness, and being chicken) I finally got my bike up in the truck, without help.

Now I don't have a HUGE truck, but it is a Toyota 4x4 with 31" tires on it, and a relatively short ramp, making a steep angle. I've pushed the bike in there before sans engine so really it probably wouldn't take more than a year or two in the gym to be able to push the whole thing in there.

Well, a couple of years ago, I loaded it myself by starting it, putting it in first and walking it up the ramp. That backfired (tire spun the ramp out from under me) and I haven't done it since, until today; this time I used the safety hooks on the ramp.

Easy as pie. Now I feel REALLY stupid for begging for help for so long.

So anyway, I can't remember if there was a post here or on another forum, but that's the way to do it the easiest and it works! That bike's got an engine for a REASON!

Oh, BTW, I have one of those wide ATV ramps. Kind of expensive but worth it, for sure. It is aluminum, folds in half in the middle, and has rungs like a ladder. It's about as wide as my tailgate almost, unfolded.

Now I think I could probably just wheel the bike up like any normal person if the rungs were closer together--but I have to go slow, because it's really easy to put a foot through the center of them (ouch!) and then I can't get a running start. I may get a chunk of expanded steel to lay over the side I walk on, so that I can get a running start and just push her right in the truck.

But, starting the engine takes less energy.

Dede

May 23, 2004
way to go! :) Me & my hubby have been talking alot about buying a pick-up truck some time soon before spring time (as long as everything keeps going good for us). So it's cool to read about threads like this. Within the next few days of searching this site I'm hoping to have enough info about what we need in a truck & what accessories we need to buy to haul our bikes such as ramps, etc. One of the trucks we've been looking at is the Toyota Tacoma XCAB 4x4. What type of truck is yours and are you happy w/ it so far?

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
I have a 93 Toyota 4x4, reg cab, 4 cyl, 4x4, 5 spd. I really like it; it's my second one. It's cheap, easy to drive, and EXTREMELY reliable, especially considering the way I drive it and the fact there is almost 200,000 miles on it. The newer ones are even nicer! I'd strongly recommend a manual tranny, especially if you get the 4 cyl.

Tinkrides

Oct 7, 2004
good advice

Firecracker,
It's me, the "newbie" who had the thread about loading my bike. I have a stock 4x4 S-10, not huge, but I'm only 5'3". How tall are you? I was thinking of investing in the ATV ramp as soon as I have $100+ to spend... but I'd rather spend it than not ride! I think this weekend, though I'm going to have a guy buddy come and spot me and see if I can do it with the engine running, a step stool, prayers to the mighty dirtbike gods, and the regular ramp I have.... *sigh* I see broken bones.... :think:
Thanks so much for the tips - I'm inspired and really appreciate it!!
*Tink*

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
You won't break anything! You'll be fine. The extra height between a 4x4 and a 2x4 is significant. You said your truck is a 2 wheel drive, right? I can load a 2wd pickup myself without starting the engine. Plus, a longer ramp helps. Of course, then it hangs out the end of your pickup . . .

Anyway, don't worry about broken bones.

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
You should be fine. I'm 5'3"and I could load my 125 into my 4x4 Ranger. I just used a long ramp, and had a running start. What also helps is if you can park facing downhill. The first couple of times it can be kind of hard, then you get the hang of it. The ATV ramp will help a lot. Just remember to keep a finger or two on the brake. good luck!

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Yeah, I have to get something on that ramp so I can do the running start. There's no way to do it now. The bars need to be closer together. I've already stuffed a foot down through the holes, and that was going slow.

Kav

Crash Master
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2001
if you have a bike center stand you could use that as a stool. that's what I use to load my bike solo sence my ramp is to narrow to walk on and have the bike on at the same time

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Yep, Kav has the right idea. I use a rubbermaid step stool everytime I have to load into the back of the truck. But now that I have a motojack rack, its much easier.

Tinkrides

Oct 7, 2004
What's a "motojack rack"? I do have a step stool, so I think that will help. My ramp is pretty long, but it's just a 2x4, so I think I'll have to have amazing balance! I'm glad to hear that other "shorties" have been able to do it and tell the tale! I'm going to have some friends "spot" me this weekend, so I'll report back after that attempt. Thanks again so much for all the advice!

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
A motojackrack plugs into your receiver hitch and holds the bike sideways against the end of the vehicle. You see them a lot on the end of SUVs or trucks with a canopy.

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
Here is a link: http://www.motojackrack.com/

I've seen ads for them, but didn't really pay much attention. Looks pretty neat though. If I didn't already have a trailer, I would probably look into that.

Top Bottom