motoxpress

~SPONSOR~
Oct 22, 2001
I need some tips...

I ride MX tracks in Utah and most of the tracks have a lot of deep sand. The worst is the corners. Just yesterday I was at a track located in Delta, UT -Bunker hill raceway. This track has 2 corners that are full of sand and I could not get through them without a lot of effort.

What is the best way to approach and exit a sandy turn? I also wonder about the setup ofmy bike. It's a '01 250F that has lightweight fork oil and 46 springs. I am wondering if I need to adjust the forks dampning to help the front stay steady. Right now it feels like it want to dive in this type of condition.

Advice?

George Loch

dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
In my bike manual it says that you can add a little more rebound on the shock and forks to help in sand.

I suck at these corners too, so i cant help you out there.

kevinkdx

Mar 25, 2001
well first off how much tire pressure are you running? i run about 7-8PSI in both my front and rear tire. I have lots of experience in sandy corners as that is all i have where i live. all i do is push on the outside peg(as you do to get through any bermed corner smoothly) and reach toward the front wheel with my inside leg. keep steady on the gas, but the most important thing is the tire pressure.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Are the corners tight or sweeping? One of the tracks I ride with sand has a switch-back that most people just about stop at, I try to slide the back around and gas it because I'm so slow any other way.

motoxpress

~SPONSOR~
Oct 22, 2001
They are not tight in my definition although one of them is right after a downhill table top so, you have a lot of momentum coming into it.

George

thomas123

Oct 31, 2001
Does the corner have a berm? if it does then weight the outside peg, raise you inside leg as far as you can, lean the bike and nail the gas, I find that I can lean the bike to the point of draging my handlebars in loamy sand. The first few times I had to do it (at a mxschool) it was wierd and scary, just be on the gas hard, if you let off you will fall over...

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
thomas has something there

if your front end "washes out" or feels like it is falling over, you need to get on the gas. when you get on the gas the front will hook up. it changes the weight distribution. you dont have to pin it but make sure you dont let off. a lot of cornering theory depends on current bike set up. some people, like jeff gilbert, describe a rear wheel steering. i like a front end set up. does your bike seem hard to corner (just goes straight)? is your sag set correctly? where are your forks in the triple clamps?

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Re: thomas has something there

Originally posted by tx246
some people, like jeff gilbert, describe a rear wheel steering.

wait a minute, you've seen me ride. I didn't know you could steer with the front wheel :confused:

You're right though, I'd prefer to not slide around a corner but steer thru it instead. I think you know the one I was referring to (at Burleson)I just can't get thru that dang turn very good without getting the feeling of a hi-side.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
One thing that helps me in similar corners is to feather the front brake. It takes practice especially if your brakes are tight. Be sure and be ON the throttle a bit...rolling on when you feel like it's hooking. Lean lean lean....
The feathering of the front should help the wheel stay steady and tracking, but only with momentum.
Try not looking down at your wheel, instead look ahead to the exit of the turn. Hard to do, but works wonders.

After re-reading my post, I want to add something.... riding technique is a bit like golf. If you play you will understand when I say that you can think too hard. Too many things going through your mind at time of execution usually ends up hurting you more. Try to think about things a few times in that corner to get yourself acclamated to doig the right thing, then try it just busting the turn and not worrying about it. You will end up eating those turns alive eventually if you don't let it worry you too much.
Best of luck!

Last edited:

bscottr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 2001
Originally posted by Jaybird
Too many things going through your mind at time of execution usually ends up hurting you more.

Jaybird,
This is the quote of the day. Very true. Now if I could only do it. :confused:

Scott

Top Bottom