HighDesert

Member
Feb 14, 2004
8
0
Local's Update 2/6/05

My wife and I are going, so please put us on the list, or whatever you are using. I live in Spanish Springs (right near moonrocks).

We had a fairly warm day yesterday, it was about 45 and sunny. Quite a bit of snow melted just yesterday on the south facing hillsides around my house, but there is still a plenty on the north facing sides. Today is cold and overcast again, but we are SUPPOSED to have several days with some sun and warmer temps this coming week so I can see that making quite a difference.

Now that it is getting closer to the ride date, I will do some snow updates. Not just that, but yesterday was the first day where I actually saw some REAL progress with the snow melt. I will take a ride out there next weekend and see how everything is looking.

My name is Jamie, and I will be riding a KTM 250 mxc #38.

My wife Heather rides an XR100 and even though she is new to the sport, I have her hooked pretty good. She is really looking forward to the beginner group rides.

Like I said, from here on out I will try to keep everyone updated as best as possible.

Jamie K.
 
Last edited:

WaltCMoto

Sponsoring Member
Jan 1, 2001
1,934
0
Thanks for the help Jamie.
We out of towners are looking for all the input we can get. Eric (d36-108a) is also gonna do a recon ride report later this week. I need to know on Saturday the 12th, if we are going to go. Our trip out involves getting 11 bikes together from 3 states and Sunday would be the last chance to move the bikes around.

Thanks again, Walt
 

E-Ticket

~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2000
735
0
Yes!!

Thank you so much Jamie and Eric for monitoring the weather/melt-rate for us out-of-towners! :cool:

-- RandyB
 

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
9,535
0
Cool, OK bad use of the word!

I'm going to stick this baby.
 

HighDesert

Member
Feb 14, 2004
8
0
Hey again,
I know everyone has the conditions weighing heavily on their mind. Not only that but I am certain that quite a few of you most likely have large sums of money riding on this (good one). So I went ahead and checked it out this afternoon, my dog needed some exercise anyway.

I will be as honest as possible and try not to get anyone's hopes up or down. It is still your decision, and we do have a full 2 weeks. Basically, there is still quite a bit of snow on the ground. The staging area is completely covered with about 3-6 inches depending on where you are at, no visible dirt. Although, all the trails that wind through the rocky areas directly across from the little ravine behind the staging area were perfectly clear as they get a more direct angle from the sun. Believe it or not, but there were a few brave souls out riding today. I counted 7 bikes, 3 of those arriving when I was leaving.

In my earlier post I stated that the weather today was supposed to be all overcast and cold. It wasn't. It was almost like yesterday with only partly cloudy conditions in the lower 40's, so there was more melting going on as evidenced buy the little streams that formed in the ruts on the road that lead up to the staging area.

I mentioned the clear trails around the rocks. Well, I got there as 2 guys were about to fire up and take off. One was on a YZ-125 and the other younger fellow was on what looked to be a TTR-125L. The kid on the 125L takes off while the other guy was still warming up and proceeds to totally biff about 75 yards away, still in the staging area, no harm done though. The comedy continues, the guy on the YZ can't get any grip to save his life, he finally makes it out to the packed-snow covered road and is basically still spinning and foot pushin the whole time, he then slides off to the side and sinks in. About this time I caught up to him as I was walking up the road with my dog. I talked to him for a second and he made a comment about "should have put on that new rear tire". Yep. By this point his buddy is slowly coming back down the road and precedes to make the same comment, as he did have a new tire and was having a little bit better luck by this point. I pointed out the clear trails across from the ravine, they then went off that way to join the guy I had just seen a moment ago tearing it up over there on a 450 EXC. OK, so now the point. After going over to that side, which is followed by a large slow incline that is facing the sun, they were gone. I couldn't hear the bikes after a few minutes. So maybe they found some trails on that large sloped area (several square miles) and were off. I don't really know.

Now let us discuss the road conditions. Winnemucca ranch road is perfectly clear. The entrance road leading to Moonrocks is clear also until about 200 yards before the staging area, then it becomes snow. The problem is all of the connecting roads in the riding area that I saw are still packed snow, and slippery. I didn't make it as far as that second large staging area on the left, before the road turns sharp right, because as I started to crest on the large flat section well before the down slope I saw a good exposed area on the left (that small spot were people sometimes stage) to turn around and I took advantage of it (I didn't want to get my truck stuck even only that far in, with not many people around). Understand that this was all uphill while headed south, away from the sun's angle. So maybe as you go down after the top of the rise it is melted on the sun sloped side. I will certainly tell you by next Saturday evening.

It seems that it would all depend on the following statement. I am sure that there are rideable areas even right now, the problem is linking them all together. Watching the other guys out there today I wish I had my bike with me. But, I am not a beginner and I could put-put through the snow sections with not much trouble. Honestly though, if it is going to be just like what I saw today it would have been a crappy ride.

I am hoping for the best. Like Strick has stated in another post, if we could get some normal weather around here (mild and all sunny) it will probably be mostly melted in 3 or 4 days.

Here is my zip code to use for a weather search, it is close enough. 89436 Although, don't trust it very much because this place is kind of hard for them to predict because of the elevation changes and weird weather patterns, as evidenced by today's incorrect forecast. If it says precipitation, I would just ignore it. You must remember that the local storm that brought us all this snow was the largest on record since I think 1916, so I don't see anymore moisture between now and two weeks. Mostly, we just want it to melt as much as possible.

I will update again in a couple days as to how warm it was, and how much sun we are having. Also, I will go out Saturday morning and report again after that.

Hope this helps, keep your fingers crossed.
Jamie K.
 
Last edited:

alleycat

Member
Sep 25, 2002
25
0
Wow I was also out at the moon rocks today. I must have missed Jamie by about an hour. His description is right on. I did take some pictures. I will try to post them.
 

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
5,802
1
alleycat - pictures would be great! Can you please email them to me at [email protected] and I will post some. Thanks!!
 

Tinkrides

Member
Oct 7, 2004
150
0
:ohmy: I'm so conflicted! I'm a moderately advanced beginning rider (does that make sense??). I have reservations at Peppermill (which I can cancel w/o fees 24 hours in advance). I really REALLY want this to work out, but it's hard to figure out what's going on! Will there be some point where somebody says "yay" or "nay" for sure? Who's in charge of this operation anyway? :) I'll keep checking the posts - I really hope to see everyone in 2 weeks! :ride:
 

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
1,782
2
Jamie thanks for the update to give everyone.

Folks, I am going to give you a REALISTIC point of view. If we have high forties and even low 50's from now until the event date(s), there will only be riding down low. The Dogskin mountain range to the west of the pits will be unridable. Nearly all of the more gnarly ravines will be unridable. If you are wanting a social gathering and simple trail riding come out, otherwise-wait until next year.

Don't call me a gloom and doomer, because my glass is always half FULL! I just know all of you too well, and consider most of you my friend(s). I do not want you to come out here and become disappointed and never come back, not to mention the time, money and loss of work it may cause. My suggestion is the make the 5th LVDS in 2006.

If you want to call me my cell number is 775 771 8850.
Strick
 

E-Ticket

~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2000
735
0
Susan and I just talked to Strick. Here's a real brief, high-level summary:

== This was the biggest snow in the Reno area since 1916. They received up to 19" in some areas
== Off and on continued cold temperatures have not let them get up to normal daily highs (40-50s). This is one of the reasons why the snow is still hanging around.
== Strick still has 2-3" inches of snow in his front yard and a 5' pile of snow in his front yard from shoveling out the driveway/sidewalks. Point here: it's not melting real fast.
== Earlier this morning, Strick was driving on the road that goes out of Reno out to MoonRocks .. and around the area of the last sub-divisions .... was still seeing sagebrush w/ 8" piles of snow on their North-facing sides. Point here: if it is seeing/getting sun...things are melting. If it's on the North/dark sides...it's not melting much or very fast.
== While we were talking (Strick was on his cell phone driving) -- Strick was seeing a mix or rain/sloppy sleet hitting his windshield.

== More info: One local race was cancelled a while back... and an upcoming race will be two loops of the lower elevations. They are not doing any high-elevation loops at all -- even the experts can't do them.

Summary: If it's high, sun-shielded, or in a gully ... it will still be snow covered and either impassable or difficult. If it's open to the sun.... and the warming trend continues - the lower, open areas should be okay for general riding.

Randy's opinion: hmmmmm.... If a miracle occurs and a Pineapple Express warming trend rolls through.... it's still do-able. But short of that, it sounds like our favorite ride areas (the Waterfall, Pod Racer II canyon, the goat trail up on top) might be unusable.

We are not bailing yet -- but we are *starting" to consider passing on this year and aiming at the 2005 ride. :ugg:

Sincerely, Randy B/Susan P
 

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
1,782
2
gnarlykaw said:
Strick, what about riding further southeast??

South east of Reno is the Yerington Nevada (Wilson Canyon camping area) riding areas. They are fine and rideable, however the social/nighlife is nearly non-existent.

I just don't want to see people waste their time and money for at best, so-so riding. The last four years were epic conditions, remember the dusting of snow EVERY morning two years ago?

I say either wait unti later in the year, or 2006, I am just one voice. I am still here to help. Sorry for my inactivity, but life's struggles continue for me.
 

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
3,217
0
Strick, I hope things start going better for you soon and that your knees are healing well.

I pretty much decided I'm out, as much due to money considerations (no tax return to speak of this year) but also because of the weather. It's been warm and sunny up here for about a week, then cooled off again but it's still warmer and drier this winter than it has been in a long time. We'll take all that Nevada snow up here in Washington, please!!

Anyway, we'll have to figure out some other ride ... perhaps later in the year, or in 06. It's too bad it didn't work out. I will miss seeing everybody.
 

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
5,802
1
Alleycat's photos
 

Attachments

  • Im000144d.jpg
    Im000144d.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 308
  • Im000143d.jpg
    Im000143d.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 294

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
5,802
1
More alleycat photos
 

Attachments

  • Im000140d.jpg
    Im000140d.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 295
  • Im000142d.jpg
    Im000142d.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 297

Tinkrides

Member
Oct 7, 2004
150
0
:ugg: I'm SO sad. But I think I'm going to bow out this year and hope for better conditions next year. The snow is beautiful, but even if it melts into mud, I don't think it would be good for my (low) level of riding. I'm sad I won't meet everyone, but I'll hope for another time! :bang: For those of you who do go - take lots of pictures, be safe, and share your stories! :ride:
 

HighDesert

Member
Feb 14, 2004
8
0
Everyone,
I just got the following off of the tail end of a discussion from nvoffroad.

c-ing_red
Offroader


Joined: Mar 02, 2004
Posts: 69

Posted: Feb 07, 2005 - 07:29 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WSRA is putting on a D-36 enduro in September and we needed to get some course riding in. So we hit Moonrocks. In the lower elevations, there was about a foot of snow. In the higher elevations, heaven dirt. It was a great ride until I got my bike stuck and had to drag it out. It is rideable, as long as you are on the higher elevations.




Doug
Administrator


Joined: Aug 28, 2003
Posts: 2750
Location: Reno, NV
Posted: Feb 07, 2005 - 07:38 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wow, that sounds like the opposite of what it would really be!!



That is as far as the conversation went, I am waiting to see if anyone elaborates. If not then I might register there just to ask for more info.

As far as the snow melt goes, it hasn't. Yesterday was yucky, today was a little bit better. But like I stated the other day, the better weather is not supposed to roll in until tomorrow or so anyway.

It seems like a lot of people coming from far away are cancelling. With the uncertainty I can't say I blame them. For the people who are still coming no matter what, I will still do these weather updates. I am still going, but since it is 20 minutes from my driveway I don't have anything to lose.

Jamie K.
 

ironworker

America since 1908
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2004
286
0
I am in either way, next year or this year, if everyone decides to bring the bikes then I am with you 100%, the damn ride is still 10-12 days away and alot can happen in that amount of time.

give me a PM and let me know if anyone else is going and I will bring the MOHO and camp right at Moon Rocks.

There has been to many people going back and forth on this issue, until I hear different I consider the event to still be on.

Rich
 

jak525

Member
Jan 19, 2004
17
0
Yeah I feel the same way. 9 days away for me. Alot can happen in that time.(good and bad) Reno was 44 degrees today as far as the news goes. So far Im in. Ive riden there with a little snow on the ground and it was a blast.Its going to be a last minute decision for me.
 

D36-108A

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2002
367
0
recon ride today

I took my bike up to Moonrocks today for a recon ride and took a few pictures.

It was basically unrideable. I found trails without snow but had to ride through snow to get to them. Anything south-facing is clear, even dry. Anything north-facing is snowed in.

The good news is it is melting and we are headed for some warm weather.

The picture with my bike against the tree is facing north, so it's of the south side of the hill. Ditto for the picture of the moonrocks from the staging area.
 

Attachments

  • Moonrocks050210A.JPG
    Moonrocks050210A.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 281
  • Moonrocks050210B.JPG
    Moonrocks050210B.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 284

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom