barrelgrli

Nov 25, 2006
I have a 79' Honda XR250 with what seems like the transmission locked up. It is currently in neutral and will not move into 1st or anyother gear. What do I do? I was going to sell it today, but it was shifting so they guy didnt want it. I rode it the other day with no problem, but now it is just stuck... Help?!

-Brittany :bang:

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Brittany.

First drain the oil from the gearbox to make sure it has oil in there and also look for metal grindings in the oil. If the gearbox has oil and it is fairly clean, remove the right side cover from the engine and check the shifting mechanism at the shift drum. Could be a dislodged or broken shift pawl spring or a broken return spring on the foot shift ratchet assembly.

Those engines are pretty easy to work on. The cases split horizontally. You can flip the engine upside down and remove the bottom case without disturbing the top end. Then, the entire gearbox will lift out.

Good luck. :cool:

dezryder

Feb 23, 2006
Ol'89r said:
Brittany.

First drain the oil from the gearbox to make sure it has oil in there and also look for metal grindings in the oil. If the gearbox has oil and it is fairly clean, remove the right side cover from the engine and check the shifting mechanism at the shift drum. Could be a dislodged or broken shift pawl spring or a broken return spring on the foot shift ratchet assembly.

Those engines are pretty easy to work on. The cases split horizontally. You can flip the engine upside down and remove the bottom case without disturbing the top end. Then, the entire gearbox will lift out.

Good luck. :cool:

Agreed, and maybe a bent shifting fork. As alrady said, pretty easy to work on. No special tools required that I know of.

barrelgrli

Nov 25, 2006
Well, unfortunetly I didnt check the replys until now and I took the bike apart about an hour ago. I looked through an online manual at the drum and thats what it was. I checked the oil (I drained it the other day and put some new stuff in) the old oil was fine and the new oil was as well.

I took apart the casing and the whole thing pretty much fell apart into my oil pan (yay... another problem) so I took at a few pieces and looked at the picture and I am now missing a pin and a rotor. I am going to go through the oil again and look for those pieces, but is it possible for it to run in the first place without it? My dad mentioned they could not even be there, but I dont think the bike has been taken apart, if it was no one mentioned it when I purchased it.

Thanks guys, let me know if you get any ideas!!

-Brit

barrelgrli

Nov 25, 2006
haha, i kinda opted on that. I ended up putting a nut on it and it is working fine now. I looked up a picture of it again and it showed a washer (a thick one, not a nut.. wierd.), but the nut is working fine for now.

Now I am stuck with something wrong with the compression release. It releases way to early. Halfway through my kick it drops in and then it misses everytime; unless I hold it out. I have NO clue what to do with this problem. I dont know anything at all about the compression.

For the record I bought this bike about 3 weeks ago for $125. It was working perfectly fine then and I rode it a few times only staying in 1st and 2nd (its a BIG bike for me.) So this is my project bike and I bought it ready for repairs.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
barrelgrli said:
Now I am stuck with something wrong with the compression release. It releases way to early. Halfway through my kick it drops in and then it misses everytime; unless I hold it out.
QUOTE]

Brittany.

The compression release on your bike should release about 1/4 to 1/3 of the way down the kick stroke. It only releases compression on the initial part of the stroke. Then it clicks off giving you full compression on the rest of the stroke.

It can be adjusted by adjusting the cable that comes from the actuating mechanism next to the kick starter and goes up to the cylinder head.

Top Bottom