gbruno21

Jun 12, 2010
I have a 1988 KDX 200. My kick start lever locked up and will not move. I opened up the crank case and removed the entire clutch basket hoping to find something locking up the kick start gear. Everything looked fine. After the clutch basket was out I tried the kick start lever again and it moved freely. Does that mean that there is a problem with the piston or something other than the kick start lever? :bang: Any help would be appreciated. I am an amateur mechanic and trying to figure this out on the fly.

GB

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
sr5bidder said:
how bout the stator or flywheel, maybee the magnets dropped out off the flywheel?

Really? that sounds like a possible scenario to you?

I'm guessing it's something a little more obvious and a little more plausible..

Not that the magnets can't fall off, but since they are magnets, and the flywheel is steel.. I'm guessing it's just not something that happens very often.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
take the jug off, you have toasted rings, or worse. guess all day, or get the thing apart and fix it

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
IndyMX said:
Really? that sounds like a possible scenario to you?

I'm guessing it's something a little more obvious and a little more plausible..

Not that the magnets can't fall off, but since they are magnets, and the flywheel is steel.. I'm guessing it's just not something that happens very often.

happen quite a bit on the older kdx's..(83-85) so i was just throwing it out there

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Indeed it does. I dunno if the 88 flywheel is shielded like ours are, but the older ones certainly were not. They did like to shatter magnets. I dunno if that would lock it slap up though. Magnets shattered on my buddies old KTM, and you could still turn the kickstarter with an awful grinding noise. We thought crank bearings at first, till we pulled the cover off......

Beaubeau

May 17, 2022
I have got a problem I have taken the clutch basket off and stuff I push the kickstarter it does it fine I put the basket back in and it locks up I have no idea what’s wrong

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom