justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
The Heartland Spodes had a mini reunion this weekend. Two thirds of the original members showed up with new people being added to the list.
I arrived at the farm Friday night around 5:30, set up the trailer and settled in early for a good night sleep. As the sun came the next morning my son and I were on the bikes making a lap through the trees, hanging arrows and removing trees and other general trail maintenance. After a little time with the staple gun(200 arrows) and the chain saw, I called it good and headed back to camp.
Lorin arrived first, followed by bswift, who had mooched hid dads way nice motorhome. A little later okkxer and son(referred to as the fast kid on the 80), craig_enid's daughter arrived, she made the trip from college, (what a family they meet to ride bikes,) any way eventually craig_enid, wife and son arrive. mx547 and daughter arrived as well.
After my son and Criag_enid's son got through playing chicken on the bikes the day went pretty good. After giving small groups the nickle tour we began taking some loops through the woods.
Craig_enid's wife and kids rode in the open pasture as well as mx547's daughter and my sons.
Since it was my home turf I led the first loop through with bswift running sweep. The thing that impressed me was the fast kid on the 80, I mean he had a little trouble hanging with the big bikes speed wise but he handled some tough terrain on a small bike and it was only like his fourth time in the woods. One hill in particular that I remember was about 10 ft tall, rock stair steps every couple of feet. The kid came up with his front wheel in the air, rear wheel spinning, on the gas hard. All I could do was look and point.
The next few laps we switched the lead back and forth, letting different people have the fun of trying to navigate through the leaf covered trails. At one point bswift or mx547 were leading when craig_enid came out of nowhere on his KDX hard, flying by me and them taking the lead. I don't know anything but that between him going around and the others trying to hold off the charge I got a lot of roost. After a few laps the trials got in good shape and everyone seemed to be doing good, even in the tough technical parts. Saturday ended with the kids spending more time playing in the campfire than riding, me learning to respect the fast kid on the 80, craig_enids daughter smiling as she showed the battle wound she had on her leg when she found out what happened when you give a kx 80 to much gas in a creek bed, mx547 proving he's still faaaast.
Sunday morning started without craig_enid and family and okkxer and son as they had all headed home Saturday night. Sunday did find mike and son arriving, another kid on an 80, gosh those little bikes are fast. We made several trips through the trees, with me showing them all that the trails had to offer. They all survived quite nicely. There was the one vine that stopped bswift dead in his tracks. That's what he gets for going around Mike, just because his thumper had died.
We spent a little more time on the little section with jumps we call the motocross track. The mxers make it look real easy.
It's amazing that I couldn't rattle these guys, I mean I know every cheater...uh I mean alternative line on the place. I would rev the bike, bump their back wheels, pull up beside them in corners. They all handled it well, I mean bswift did stall the mamba once or twice, and lorin had trouble getting in a rhythm, but overall they handled the best I could throw at them.:)

Last edited:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
The vine was a booby-trap, I tell ya! I felt like a calf bein' roped. By the time the second thorn was crossing my neck, I found the brakes. This was a way cool ride. OKKXer's son did a fantastic job in the woods. A few more trips and he'll be in the lead position. The dirt was perfect, no dust and tacky. There were just a few places where there was mud but nothing bad at all.
I stole a ride on the KTM 65, I thought that thing was just gonna shoot right out from between my legs.
Justql, thanks for the good ride and hospitallity. Your family is really cool. I look forward to the next ride. I could do without the kicker jump in the trees but I DID keep it upright. Sawblade, you missed a good one dude.:)

craig_enid

Mar 23, 2000
Thanks, justql

Well, I had been looking forward to getting the family together at a place like justql's. Plenty of tame fields for my family to play around on. Justql made his wife's KX80 available for my wife and daughter to ride. The size was just right for them to get some good experience.
Weather was perfect, light mist kept the dust down without slicking the terrain up.
Got to ride with justql, lorin, bswift...a Red River reunion,
Met okkxer and his son, and met again mx547 and his daughter.
Had a great time flying through the woods.

-when craig_enid came out of nowhere on his KDX hard, flying by me and them taking the lead-
.... I bypassed the tree section you guys took, as you were leaving the trees and getting on 2nd gear, I was just hitting the power in 4th. A running start to a straitaway sure makes for easy passing! :p

I posted the group photos, had to really tweak them as they were pretty dark.
http://community.webshots.com/album/25473668lgcpqJxhpT
Looking forward to the next ride!
Thanks again for the hospitality, justql

justql

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
craig- Thanks for posting the pictures, aren't we a pretty bunch.:D

bswfit- I had forgotten your Pastrana imitation. Good save.

tx246-You missed a fun time, a little more food would have been good but thats what happens when you leave a woman in charge of groceries.:eek:

craig_enid

Mar 23, 2000
pics

I don't know what everyone's scanner situation is, but I've got one available. If anyone needs pics scanned, they can send them to me and I'll do it. It's not rigged up right now, but it shouldn't be a problem.
We took some shots at the mx track, will scan them when they are developed and add to the group shots.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
My hat's off to all the guys that rode without barkbusters. I banged the bars so many times I forgot. MX547 looked like a pinball with a foot on a tree helping him make the turns. :p
I remember on the first loop, the turns were slippery in the leaves. I made one turn, coming in pretty hot, both wheels sliding until I hit the berm. Kind of made be think I was Billywho at Dirtweek, then reallity sunk back in and I was just another spode.:)

craig_enid

Mar 23, 2000
Mary's Thanks to Justin and Julie

I can honestly say that Lone Chimney was the most fun riding experience I have had to date. Thanks to Justin for inviting us and making it doable and most enjoyable for 3 very ' rank' beginners. The trails were great and allowed us to test and even enhance our skills and courage. And, thanks Julie for letting us use your '80! Way more fun and manageable than the monster bikes Craig has been trying to teach us on( i.e. the dreaded DR 250 which I can personally testify weighs in at about 1200 lbs and stands a good 6 feet tall. ) As Justin mentioned, my daughter Anna has new found respect for 80 cc's of "go" , but is most proud of her crash wounds, giving us daily updates on the color and configuration of the scrapes and bruises that continue to appear. I'm quite sure she spent the rest of the weekend back at OSU in shorts to adequately display her battle scars! Son, Clay was a little under the weather this trip, kinda quiet, but when he rode, I saw him trying things and pushing his own personal 'envelope' on the trails, so I know he was having fun.
Finally, Justin I probably shouldn't, but feeled compelled to respond to your complaint about the food availability......we have a magnet on our frig that simply states, "you never hear of a man being shot BY HIS WIFE while doing the dishes"...
perhaps you should consider a possible addendum of "or doing the shopping for the camping/riding trip"; could add years to your life expectancy!
Thanks again, it was great.
Mary (Craig_enid's spouseling)
p.s. Justin, my offer of $50 for the '80 still stands!!!!!:p

Last edited:

justql

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
OK, so maybe Mary was right. I'll ease up on my wife. I'm glad you all liked the 80, I did actually notice Quint sitting on it once this weekend. Actually seeing the thing being ridden sparked his interest in it. Maybe he'll be on it next summer, so I better pass on the $50 :D

I would like to say that several members of the family(mom, dad, aunt , uncle, cousins) had a conversation about all of the riders. They were asking Julie if everyone was having fun, if they liked the trails, if they would ever return. It seems that even though they don't ride they like the sounds of the bikes ripping around. I guess it stems from my grandfather who owned the place. He never rode a bike but could tighten chains, change tires, clean filters and mix premix with the best of em. I guess 8 grandsons that rode almost every weekend on his farm and all summer gave him lots of chances to learn. He would stand in the kitchen look out over the pasture to the small pond with the jump and evaluate how we did jumping. He once told everyone that "Justin can out jump all the big bikes on his little Honda." I politely told grandpa that I rode a Yamaha YZ 80, NOT a Honda, it didn't matter, they were all Hondas to Grandpa.

You all are welcome anytime.

justql

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
Originally posted by BSWIFT
[B MX547 looked like a pinball with a foot on a tree helping him make the turns. :p
[/B]

Yea, the guy would slide up to the tree put his foot out and push off of the tree, it was impressive until there was that one tree that mx shoved off of on one lap but the tree was waiting the next lap. He ended up with the left side of the bike against the tree. His left leg behind the tree where he couldn't touch the ground. When he tried to give the bike some gas the rear wheel wold spin on a root and rocks and just sit there against the tree. After a few panicky seconds, and a few words I'm sure, he was able to unlodge the CR. I never saw him push off of that tree again.

OKKX'er

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 10, 2001
My thanks to Justin and his family, good folks! It was a great time. Through
DRN I have met some really nice people and we really enjoyed the whole day.

Justin said he was roosting so much to clear the trail, but we all know the
real reason.

justql

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
No really I was brake sliding and spinning through the corners just to remove the leaves, it had nothing to do with my fascination with roosting Kawaskis.:D Bswift should have warned you about my problem. He has tried to get me to go to a self help group, but I don't have a problem.:think

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
self help group

Let's analyze this statement.
Self - I, me, mwah, no one else.
Help - to aid or render assistance
Group - a gathering of more the three (two = couple, three = several)
If your are 1 (self) and you render assistance (help) to yourself, why do you need a Group? Seems that you wouldn't need help if you assist yourself, therefore no group needed.
Mike have you named that GasGas Getoff, yet?

MikeOK

Aug 6, 2000
LOL I'm still thinking Bswift, I crack up every time I think of it, he tried so hard to save it but how can you when you are riding backwards on the front fender???

BTW, if you guys decide to rent Sunset MX count me and the boy in...

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
the best woods ride ever

i don't know what to say. i'm still overwhelmed by it all. you guys that didn't show, really missed out.

justql

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
It was fun. I don't ever remember five bikes wheel to wheel zippping through the the trails like that. Sparring back and forth bumping tires, trying to pass, boy I get hyper just thinking about it.

As far as my get off, it was the weirdest thing I've ever done.

Last edited:

justql

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
Great Pictures Craig.
I'm back at the farm this weekend, going to try to cut a couple new sections in and reroute some old ones. A couple of bridges are also in my plans. I'm going to try to take the tractor over and do some work on the motocross track as well. Lots of plans, but I've got all day Friday and part of Saturday.

justql

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
Help is always appreciated. But I understand the family thing, I'm at my folks today. I'll be at the farm from this evening til Saturday, if you get bored come over I' m sure we could get a little riding in around the work.:D

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
i don't believe i ever said thanks. thanks to justql and mrs. justql for putting this together; the excellent place to ride, the good food, the good people, the loan of the generator (even if it did run at 120 db) and everything else. this was just about as close to a perfect ride as it gets. if you ever get the motocross track finished, i'll just quit my job, move out there and ride every day (will you still feed me?).
my daughter had a great time riding with the other kids and playing in the camp fire-i had six boxes of matches in my trailer, there is only one box now. she's always been a little afraid of camping but she really did well out there. i'm sure that she will want to return.
the riding was awesome. it's fun to ride with several riders all about the same speed. it makes for a much more interesting ride. the trails were very good, even for a woods rider in drag.:debil:
the comradery was the best part. i got to meet a few new people and see again some that i had met previously. good people make for good times (although none of them were interested in getting up at 5:30 a.m. and watching the meteor shower with me).
i am looking forward to the next ride at the farm. it should be even better. once again, those that didn't show up, really missed out. this was the best. i envy justql. i don't think he realizes it but he's really got it good.

now if i could just convince him to fix my numerous flats everything would be perfect.:cool:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Lone Chimney Lake, revisited:

I met Justql, Craig_enid, and cousin Randy for some trail work. Justql and Craig_enid have added some new trail. I helped repair a couple of creek crossings. Justql had to ask, "Can you get a cooler next to the chainsaw on your ****?" I said, "I could, but the convenience store was out of Shlitz." Had good time even though I didn't bring the Mamba. It is a lot easier to transport a chainsaw and a shovel on my ****. However, some of the trails are just too tight for the **** to traverse and I had to make an alternate trail.

justql

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
We were LAO watching bswift bulldoze through the trees on the ****...:)
Bswift did a pretty good bubba **** rider imitation.:p

Top Bottom