long rod 125 motors

Sage

dirtbike riding roadracer
Mar 28, 2001
does anyone know how much longer the 125 ktm rods are that team suzuki, and team honda are running in their 125's

EricGorr

Super Power AssClown
Aug 24, 2000
Sage, the rod length on a KTM is 110mm, 5-6mm longer than Jap OEM rods. They're changing the rod to stroke ratio, which enables the piston to dwell at TDC longer so as to produce a higher pressure rise before the piston starts on the downstroke, which should raise the overall BMEP.
Not exactly a new development, back in the mid-1980s we were buying up old Honda NSR 250 cranks and stripping them down for the 110 mm rods so we could fit them to CR125s. Over the past 20 years rod ratios have gone from 2.01:1 to 1.77:1, and now they're moving back closer to 2 again.
Theres a lot of other factors to consider when installing a long rod kit, spacer plates for the base and modifications in port timing are needed.
One common myth is that a long rod changes the displacement of the cylinder, but it actually it increases the crankcase volume. Some tuners like the guys at Honda stuff the crankcases with epoxy to compensate for the volume added by the longer rod.
Its not for everybody and it takes a lot of planning to implement a long rod kit effectively.

Sage

Mar 28, 2001
Originally posted by bclapham
sage...long time no hear! :)

I've been working a lot at the shop, racing limited off road events, just started road racing this month and got a part time deal with No Limits Honda as a road race mechanic starting this weekend at sears point, married, 3 kids (1 @ 4 months old), so time has been flying by to say the least..........

as for long rod kits (not stroker kits as Eric stated) that’s something my partner is trying to get together before the WMX world cup for his daughter, our KX 125 is so close to 40 hp it keeps us both up at night thinking of ways to get it over the edge and keep a broad power curve, if we can get a simple package together like racetech has done for suspension then it will most likely go to the market. (but it has to work first!!!)
thanks for the input, See Ya, Sage

Sage

Mar 28, 2001
Originally posted by EricGorr
back in the mid-1980s we were buying up old Honda NSR 250 cranks and stripping them down for the 110 mm rods so we could fit them to CR125s.

I was looking for RS rod specs for the same reasons but found none? Its funny how times change but ideas always repeat themselves.

Thanks Again, Sage

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
92 Husqvarna had 110 mm rod , just try to find one . ProX used to make and sell at LA Sleeve but-NLA- .

MikeeeP

Dec 7, 1999
They are considered amateur even in the Pro class so you are allowed an .80 over bore or stroke - there is your hp that you are looking for.

Of course, a couple seasons ago all the women were running (ahem) 167 kits which were totally illegal so... then again they out of respect for one another never tore each other down.

I know Stefy was running 125s though because she had to run the same engine for WML racing and for AMA racing when she tried to qualify for the AMA Pro class (not WML Pro).

With that said, think about the big bore .80 over kits. They put you out to 133cc and are totally legal in the womens classes.

MP

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001

OK, i am not going to stop until ive driven Eric insane with my questions, and if evenone else knows then chip in!!!

Eric, on the site you are talking about the long rod retro fit on the RMs. Since the cylinder has already been ported to your MoBetter 144 specs, does it need additional porting to work with the long rod setup? does the increase of additional crank case volume create a big isse with this kit?

thanks

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…