Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
So i was talking to my dads friend. And his dad had an old dirt bike sitting in his garage, So from talking and whatnot he offered me the bike for $20. (Had to buy it!)

At first we didn't know what it was, but with some research we found that it was a 1981 Honda XL185s. Me and my dad want to fix it up so its ride able. And BikeBandit has a lot of the main parts to fix it.

It turns over, but gets stuck at the top of the cylinder. (maybe hitting valves or something else in there, so we didn't force it.) We will start tearing it apart hopefully soon.

Ok, i'm done ranting. Here are some pictures.

S5000201.jpg

S5000202.jpg

S5000203.jpg

S5000204.jpg

S5000205.jpg

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Very cool. Please keep us updated on the restoration.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Nice work! A few trips ago to the metal recycling yard, low and behold there was an 81 xl-80 sitting atop the heap. A new sparkplug cap and it runs like the eveready bunny! Similar wiring also. Wait a minute, its a dirtbike, and now its lighter, and have a pile of copper wires! Restoration or just exploit what is there?

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
VintageDirt said:
Your kickstand is leaking.

:) . No it isn't, if you look right above it its the gas line from the gas tank. It was leaking what was left i guess...

Ill take pictures and keep you guys informed. I'm excited. A good winter project.

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
Moparman1539 said:
:) . No it isn't, if you look right above it its the gas line from the gas tank. It was leaking what was left i guess...
That's lucky, because there's nothing more worser than a leaky kickstand. Well there's priapism...

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
VintageDirt said:
That's lucky, because there's nothing more worser than a leaky kickstand. Well there's priapism...
which can be real bad if it's also leaky

that's all kinds of issues, man

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
I'll give you $27.50 for it. ;)

When are you going to take it apart?

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
JuliusPleaser said:
I'll give you $27.50 for it. ;)

When are you going to take it apart?

lol, no tanks ill pass.

And ill take pictures of the whole process. And I'm not sure when we are goign to tear it apart. Me and my dad are going to do it, but i don't live with my dad....

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
GETMETOCA said:
I like the staples.

On the fenders? I think those are zip-ties.

When he was making the holes for the zip-ties, he should have drilled a hole at the end of each crack. Then they would not have spread so far.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
dirt bike dave said:
When he was making the holes for the zip-ties, he should have drilled a hole at the end of each crack. Then they would not have spread so far.
That sounds like a guy who knows his vintage stuff! ;)

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I plead guilty to zip-tieing and drilling crack-stopping holes in the fenders on my '84 KDX. I loved that bike too much to part with the factory plastic ;)

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
dirt bike dave said:
I plead guilty to zip-tieing and drilling crack-stopping holes in the fenders on my '84 KDX. I loved that bike too much to part with the factory plastic ;)
Fenders are cheap, compared to an airbox. That was a true work of art zip tied back together. Busted an 06 450 honda at the track, time to load up ang go, no, wait a minute, I have an idea! My cheap son loved that airbox, got it hanging in the garage. Right next to the trophies and plagues.

stumanarama

Aug 29, 2007
i remember my twenty dollar dirt bike. it was a 1974-76 yz80. after tinkering with it, i gave it to my friend and he had more dough to spend than and got that sucker running. Not sure where I was going with that, but have fun with your new toy, and keep us posted the whole way.

Top Bottom