XR400RMan

Dec 11, 2000
Well I am going to be getting a 1991 XR250R hopefully. Me and my dad went and looked at one today that the owner is trying to get rid off. When my dad talked to him on the phone on Monday the guy said that he was running the bike to lean and it got hot and burn't a hole through the Piston. So we go look at the bike today and the guy already had the head of the motor off the bike so my dad looked at it and then the guy was showing him what happened. There was no hole in the Piston. This time the guy says that he was running the carb lean and it got hot and Dropped a Valve and then the piston went to the top and smashed into the valve thing. I was going to put down about $450 to hold him over until me and my dad can pick it up. when my dad looked into the head of the motor he didn't like what he saw. So he is going to call some engine shops around to see what they can do. The cool thing when we first went into his garage I saw the bike and it looked like a Honda CR250R with white plastic. all of the plastic is after market and it looks awesome. The headlight and taillight is gone buts thats ok. I just thaught I would share this with everyone. Thanks Matt

DualSportr

Aug 22, 2000
RUN - Don't walk - away from this one!!!!!!!

I can't stress enough that if you buy this bike, it will be nothing but problems.

Four strokes - especially XR's - run FOREVER with all sorts of stuff wrong with them. You can abuse them, run 'em out of oil, over heat them, over rev them. While you're doing this, damage is happening inside that engine, but the bike just keeps chugging along.

Any time a four stroke breaks down, it's not just ONE thing that caused it to fail, but all those horrible things finally catching up with it.

If you fix the one thing that is obvious, then put the bike back together, all the other stuff will come back to haunt you. It's frustrating, it's expensive, and it could be avoided.

NEVER buy a four stroke that has had overheating or oil delivery problems unless you're a mechanic and you know what you're in for.

I don't care how cheap this bike is, it'll cost you in the end.

mtngoat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
I'd have to agree. I'd temper the eagerness to get a new (used) bike with a little patience and more shopping. There's plenty of bikes out there that don't get ridden much and have never been messed with (jetting so lean it breaks an XR motor!). This bike may well have suffered other abuses. Better off in the long run to keep shopping.

XR400RMan

Dec 11, 2000
Well my dad and the guy that owns the 1991 Honda XR250R were talking when I was over checking the bike out and I could not hear what they were saying so he told me today that the guy took the head to the honda dealer and they said that he reved it to high or was in like 5th gear and pulled the clutch in and downshifted to like 3rd gear and had the throttle pinned when he let the clutch back out and then it dropped the vavle and everything. He said that the dealer feels like he had it pinned to long and the valve dropped and when the Piston rotated back to the top of the Cylinder that it hit the valve and shattered the inside of the Head. Thats all I know. Thanks for the replys guys. Matt

Top Bottom