vesparover

Feb 13, 2005
Hey everybody, After selling my last dirtbike (cr250), years ago I'm about to get another. I have a friend with a white 95 ktm 300 (or maybe 360) exc, or whichever model has the headlight. He hasn't ridden it in years, since he managed to strip the kickstarter as well as the shaft. He said it was always a real bitch to start. Any cure for it- or is that a common problem (possible compression release on it anywhere)? The bike is in great shape as he hardly ever rode the thing- and I'm capable of rebuilding the carb and whatever else it needs. He wants $1000 for it, with all sorts of riding gear that had never been worn. Does that sound like a steal or the going rate for such a bike? Anybody out there ride anything that old- seems most of the posts I have read are of newer bikes.
Thanks for any insight you may have on it
Brian Bertolini :ride:

ScottS

Dec 29, 1999
Any bike that runs is worth $1k, if it is a 360 there were problems with the primary compression being too high making them hard to start but some of them also had bad ignitions.

The fix was a bleed port , I bet Eric gorr knows how to fix it.

Rick H

Nov 6, 2000
95 / 300 exc

I don't believe that the 360 came out untill 1996, in 1995 they still made the 440. I had a 95 300 and it was a great bike. If the bike has been sitting for a while the case behind the water pump impeller is probably eaten away by the antifreeze.

vesparover

Feb 13, 2005
I know the bike isn't going anywhere. Did ktm switch from white to orange in 96? I'll probably pick it up one of these weekends, but I'll probably tell him i want to get it going first and make sure of no major problems (as he is a friend of mine).
Thanks for the input.
brian bertolini

killerbeez 75

Oct 26, 2004
I think its a good deal.Just because its older doesnt mean a thing.Eric Gorr on his site states that it is 95%rider and 5% bike and it is very true.I am a intermediate rider and just got rid of my 02cr250,my brother has a 1990 cr250 and he kills me on that thing,hes just a good rider.Now I have a ktm520sx and he will probably still kick my butt.

Maverik

Feb 22, 2005
I have a 94 EXC and I almost like it better then the 03 RM. Thats probably just because i havent developed a feel for the RM yet, but anyway, KTMs are great bikes. Let me know of you want to throw a set of inverted forks on that 95, because i beleive most 95s came with conventional. Hard starting could be caused by many things. Check the compression, check the reeds, check the carb settings, etc... You will just have to check things out one at a time. My EXC started 1st or 2nd kick when cold, everytime no excpetions. And when it was warm, it was ALWAYS 1st kick. either way 1000 for a 95 is a good price, Thats what i paid for the 94. Not to mention some riding gear goes with it.

Top Bottom