Truck12

Oct 15, 2009
I'm looking to get a used bike to putt around on, I'm 5'9" and around 150 lbs.

When I was younger I owned the last year of the air cooled CR80 bone stock and thought it was quick enough. I'd like to find something with the same power, I am about 30 lbs heavier now.
I've also owned the first year water cooled YZ80, it was way slower, also an '83 KX80 and a '79 RM80.

I don't need this so obviously I set my spending to under $1000. I found a 2003 CR85 ($900) that supposedly has a bunch of new parts, and a 2000 KX80 ($700) that seems untouched and in good condition.

I like the idea of the CR because of my past experience, granted it was 20 years ago. But I don't like the idea of a well worked on bike.

The KX I like because it hasn't been beat on, yet still needs little to nothing. I also heard a 100cc jug and piston will bolt right up, is this true?

How would each of these compare to the old 198? CR?

PS the last bike I owned was a 1992 KX80 with a 1987 CR125 engine. I built it out of a stolen recovery KX (found with no engine) and a CR that was in a barn fire. I cut the bottoms of the frames off each due to the exhaust port exit and ended up with a factory looking set up. I gave up when I couldn't find the right combination of sprockets, chain size vs bolt pattern. A guy down the road made me an offer so I sold it, he got it running and it was bad ass. So needless to say I like the idea of modifying things so if the '00 KX80 will accept the 100cc parts I might lean more towards it.

Which one should I get? The KX or the CR?

Truck12

Oct 15, 2009
I can't seem to find any 125's.
I'm just looking to ride fields and trails.
Seems to be heading in the direction of scrapping the idea.

My main question was how would the '03 CR compare to the '00 KX, and how would each compare to the '82 CR

Mar 18, 2006
Seek and ye shall find!

Don't know about the relative merits of the bikes. I do know that the '06 cr85 is a really, really good bike. We have 2 and they are tough little machines. I don't think Honda changed them at all in the later years, so the '03 is probably identical.

We also have an '06 cr125. Another good bike. Any 125 in excellent shape would be a good find. There should be tons of them around, but maybe harder to find a primo one. Ours is primo, but not for sale - hopefully not for a very long time.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
The KX has a power valve giving it better low end which is nice for a heavier rider in the woods. I would go for the less molested of the two.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Yup, the CR's and YZ's are top end (high RPM) screamers and don't have much of a usable "putt along" lower RPM torque. But the KX's and RM's powervalved motors make them better when working at lower RPMs... but they will scream too when you need.
However, at your weight you'll be outriding the suspension if you carry any real speed at all. I wouldn't sweat trying one out though if that's your choice, because these bikes are usually easy to sell if you decide it's not for you.

Truck12

Oct 15, 2009
Thanks for the replies.
I just picked up a 2001 KX85 for $200.
It's got new tires, pro circuit exhaust, and various other aftermarket parts. It has no compression though so I can't wait to tear into it tomorrow morning, hopefully the cylinder is ok.
One thing that sucks is that I was told it was a 2002, I put the VIN in at kawasaki and found it's a 2001, hope theres no huge difference there. :ride:

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
you must look like a monkey f'in a football on that thing! Fix that bike, flip it and get yourself a 125.

craigslist is a great place to find steals on bikes. Just keep searching.

Top Bottom