Looking at a '99 E/XC 300, what to watch for?

74Elsinore

Sep 23, 2002
Guys I am looking at a '99 E/XC 300. What should I be looking out for on this bike, as far as used ones go? Is this an OK year for this bike?

It LOOKS like it's in really good condition. It has a FMF Gnarly pipe, no dents Plastic is decent, a couple scratches. Asking price is $2999 from the local Honda shop, marked down from 4-something for 'clearance'.

I am a decent mechanic so I can handle about any repair. I just don't want to have to do a lower end rebuild a month from now!!

Thanks!!!
Pete

DanS

Sponsoring Member
Dec 6, 2000
I bought my '99 a little over a 1 year ago for $3000. Left over new '02s are going for $5400. So I guess $2999 from a dealer would be about right if it's really nice. Some things to look for are oil drips at the counter sprocket caused from a bad seal (easy fix and not uncommon), worn Heim bearing where the shock connects to the swingarm (put it up on a stand and see if you can move the rear wheel up and down) agin it is a regular maintanence item, and check the clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder for any leaks. Those would be the main KTM only things. Everything else is pretty much the same like engine compression, swingarm bearings, leaky fork seals, etc. Overall '99 was a very good year for the 300exc. Mine has been pretty much bullet proof except for the clutch hose coming apart last weekend (it was still the 4 year old stock hose). That's the first time I cut a ride short since I've had the bike. I have yet to DNF a desert race and I've put it down hard a couple times.

gomojo

Jul 6, 2002
I had a 99 300 exc. it was the best bike I,ve ever owned, not one problem with it. One problem that seems to be inherent with some 300s is the main bearings. I'd pull the flywheel cover and check for any movement. Move it a quarter turn then check again and so on. Gresham KTM in oregon has a new 2001 300 exc for $4500 if your interested. That was a few weeks ago.

Top Bottom