Looking at a new CR250, what's dealer cost?

FlyinHawaiin

Nov 15, 2003
Brand new 04 CR250 your looking at $5,999 with an added $100 or $150 so called assembly fee I always argue about. You could get a brand new 03 model for about a grand cheaper which is what I'm doin. Luck to ya

MXSparx

Mr. Meltsomeglass
Jul 25, 1999
NoVa
5999 is MSRP not dealer cost.
I believe spode wants to know how much under the MSRP the dealer actually pays for the bike?

Moto Squid

~SPONSOR~
Jul 22, 2002
I don't know for sure but I can check on monday. For a comparison my crf250 msrp was 5799, I think, and dealer was 5049 or so. My guess on a cr250 would probably be around 5200, I'll check though.

CRspode

May 6, 2001
Thanks for the replies guys,

Yep, I'm wondering what they cost the dealer. My dealer actually has a leftover 01(new) that I may make an offer on as well. I guess it had the second generation frame on it. Is the new third generation frame that much better? I bet I could get that 01 for a sweet deal. I'm just an ole fart getting back into riding after a while and I want something that will keep me happy and going fast on casual riding days.

Thanks again,

Scott

DKT735

Sponsoring Member
Mar 16, 2000
I've owned CRs from 2000 up to the new 2004. The 2001 CR250 had the best motor of the bunch. They handle well and have good suspension. The 2001 model is a solid bike with excellant performance.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
I just saw in bike trader, a 01 bike (think it was a CR) still new at the dealer for $3700.. Remember this, the dealer is making payments on that bike, they probably want too get out of it in a hurry..
Good Luck,
Rick

PS.. If you are paying cash, dont tell them,they will give you a better OTD price if they think you are gonna finance.. they make $$ when you finance, a finders fee.. Makkes no difference if you finance or pay cash, either way they get there money..

Wraith

Do the impossible its fun
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
Hey Spode, I don't know what the dealer actually pays for them. But I'm guessing it is lower then we all might imagine. The only reason I say this, is for the fact that my local Honda dealer has been running ads in the paper for quite some time now, with really good deals to start off with. They have leftover 03 Cr 250s for $3800 I believe it was. Their 04 CRF 450 I checked into was $5400. I thought about looking into the CRF 250, but they were sold out for now. I'm even thinking of getting one of there 03 leftover CBR 600RRs. They are going for $6300!!!!!!!!
And the thing that really gets me is, these are Out The Door prices. And on top of that, these are the prices that they start off at. So good luck I hope this info helps, because I think they are getting them cheaper than we think

DKT735

Sponsoring Member
Mar 16, 2000
The CRF450 price of $5,400 is the lowest I've seen.
The leftover 03s for 3,800, man that is a great price.

Feb 28, 2004
I will chime in here since I just bought my bike one day before the Super Bowl. I bought a brand new, leftover, 2003 YZ250. Originally the bike sold for $5,899. Because it was a leftover, they had a price on it of $4,999. Thats a $900 savings. I told them I was very interested in the bike, and wanted to know how much better, if any, would they do on the price. He went and talked to the manager and came back and said they couldnt do any better at all. He said at that price of $4,999, they were making $5 on me, lol!! He said the bike COST them $4,994! :think: I know that cannot be true, but you know what? I bought it anyway. I just fell in love with the bike and it was a $900 savings, plus they didnt have any 04 250s in stock, not that I care for the goldtone forks anyway. :laugh: Oh anyway, there was $199 freight charge fee that he said there was no way around, which was ok I guess. Grand total came to $5,509.88. Bike, freight, and tax. Havent regretted it one second since then. :yeehaw: Mike

Slips

Jan 24, 2004
The way they used to play the game when I worked at a Chevy dealership might help give some insight into the motorcycle game. Not sure, but maybe.

They would quote some guy a price that was "200 dollars over invoice" or whatever. They would actually pull the invoice and show it to the guy. He might even bargain them down lower. I saw a guy do that all the way to where they were saying they had to make 25 bucks on the car. He bought.

What he didnt know was they got holdback from Chevy, and they were getting some incentives as well. Now in That case the incentives were not meant for the buyer, but only for the dealership. Anyway, they made around 500 dollars or so on the guy for the twentyfive plus the holdback. Then they got incentives for sales on top of that.

Trust me when I tell you there is no car dealership selling anything where they dont make at least 10% profit overall. Bike dealerships are pretty much the same way. But they have to make money to stay in business.

trout

~SPONSOR~
Apr 23, 2003
from what I gathered, there is not a whole lot of mark-up on dirtbikes. I bought a leftover 02cr250 back in 03 and got it for about 5500 otd. No other local dealers could beat that. I think your location has alot to with it too because I have heard of great deals but none in my part of town. I was also buying a new xr100 at the time, which is pretty cheap to begin with so it was not discounted much either. I felt that the guy was being pretty honest and not trying to screw me. I was able to get 2 helmets thrown in and a 10% discount for life on parts/accessories.
If you cant get too much $ taken off the bike, try to make up for it with other stuff.
Good luck.

Wraith

Do the impossible its fun
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
I know for about the last 2-3 years the local Honda/Yamaha dealer has been buying dealer repos. And they have been killing the used bike saled around here, as well as making the other dealers mad for selling bikes so low (no joke). They have people coming in from out of state all the time buying bikes, because they are priced right. Shoot, even there watercraft are priced right (I guess), because some dude from Texas came up a few weeks back and bought 3.

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
I think you can get a new 2003 for 4700 out the door at the local dealership here. It might even be cheaper now that the 04s are here. I expect one could get an 04 for $5500 or so OTD.

My guess is that dealer cost on these bikes is somewhere around 4200-4500.

Top Bottom