Looking at Gas Gasser's / Few questions

Mikeb

~SPONSOR~
Jun 8, 1999
I rode an EC250 last weekend for the first time and WOW!!! That bike was like my KDX on steroids. Dont tell Canadian Dave and the rest of the KDX'ers but I am seriously considering buying one. Just a few questions for you Gassers:

1. What are the main differences between the EC and XC bikes?
2. There is only 1/2 hp difference between the 250 and 300? Is there a big difference in the way they ride? One would think the 300 is torquier than the 250 but 1/2 HP?
3. My little KDX is by far the most reliable bike I have ever owned. How reliable is the Gas Gas? I have heard some say they have "glass" transmissions?
4. How expensive are the parts compared to the big 4 Jap bikes?
5. Is it true that the frame is KX based and KX plastics will fit.
6. What are the main differences between year models?
7. Any models to stay away from?

I value ya'lls opinions MUCH more than some dealer or someone trying to sell one. Any help will be apprecited.

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Mike - I know exactly how you feel. :)

1. What are the main differences between the EC and XC bikes?
2. There is only 1/2 hp difference between the 250 and 300? Is there a big difference in the way they ride? One would think the 300 is torquier than the 250 but 1/2 HP?
3. My little KDX is by far the most reliable bike I have ever owned. How reliable is the Gas Gas? I have heard some say they have "glass" transmissions?
4. How expensive are the parts compared to the big 4 Jap bikes?
5. Is it true that the frame is KX based and KX plastics will fit.
6. What are the main differences between year models?
7. Any models to stay away from?

1. The XC has higher compression, lighter flywheel and a smaller lighting coil. Maybe some other stuff too, but in short the XC engine revs quicker than the EC engine.
2. Offroadr would be the best person I know of to answer this question for you.
3. I've heard that too, maybe some years had the problems more than others. My '98 has been crunched, miss-shifted and a host of other things numerous times without a failure (knocking on wood desk). I run Spectro 80wt in the gear box and change it frequently.
4. Parts are about the same except for pistons. You have two options, a $200 (factory) piston with a $25 replacement ring set or a $110 (aftermarket) piston with $30 each replacement rings. Some parts are expected to come down in price due to a recent change in the importer.
5. Pre-'01 bikes use the same plastic as the KX except for the shrouds. '01 and up have a different left side panel. '02 has a KTM-type front fender. Stock Hebo plastic has always been competitively priced though.
6. The main changes have been the counterbalance shaft. Zoke to WP forks. And some other stuff mentioned above.
7. Not that I've heard.

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
2000 models changed to Nissan brakes, overall my 300 has been excellent. The 300 has more torque and is popular with the "more mature" riders.

euro gasgas

Sponsoring Member
Sep 18, 2001
Differences between 300 and 250? The 300 doesn't have the crank stuffed and comes with a reed spacer to smooth power delivery. Conversely the crank is stuffed on the 250 and it doesn't have the reed spacer so the motor is more "perky". The 250 motor signs off 1000 rpm higher than the 300. Everybody says the 250 is faster than the 300, but the 300 is easier to ride...

The tranny's were revised in '02 to have full bearings - so there shouldn't be any more tranny issues. For previous years, tight gear tolerances meant that if one didn't change the oil frequently or used the wrong oil it might seize up on you. The factory recommends 10W30, I wouldn't use anything thicker-er...

jeff
'01 gasgas ec300
www.gasgasrider.org GasGas Rider's Club

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
Knowing you current bike and your style, I really don't think you will like the XC. It has a MX type hit. The EC is more like your KDX power.

The 300ec fits my riding style in the woods over the 250. The 300 has a nice wide torque curve which allows you to shift less and clutch less. You can really lug the motor. I ride in the lower RPMs and lug the motor when its tight which makes me smoother. But when its time to get with it just fan the clutch a little and your moving!

Not sure what Jeff means by the 250 is faster. My 300 pulls harder and has more top end speed than my 250. On a mx track the 250 is more fun because you can rev it out. I do about 5% of my riding there so thats no big deal.

Parts isnt that big of a deal. For one thing you won't need many!! I haven't had to replace ANYTHING other than normal items on either bike. Remember when the GGNA team lent a bike to Trail Rider? It had 5000 miles on the original piston and rings!

I think you'll like either choice Mike!

Add Mully and JustQL to the list of new GasGas 300 owners as well! Its a growing list for sure!

Mikeb

~SPONSOR~
Jun 8, 1999
Thanks for the words fellows.

So whaddya mean my riding style ..Slow IS a riding style Jay. :scream: I think you are probably right about liking the EC better than XC I really like the lug my bike and wick it up only when needed. I too feel faster that way. I am really looking for SMOOTH linear power No big hit anywhere.

Can a flywheel weight be added to an XC to make it more like an EC?

Jeff What do you mean the crank is stuffed? Also so your saying make sure that oil changes with proper oil were done before buying a pre 02 GAS GAS?

$250+ for a top end ? Ouch!

Any good Gas Gas Sites out there ?

Still looking for opinions guys so keep them coming.

euro gasgas

Sponsoring Member
Sep 18, 2001
Flywheel weights? Check out the technical article that is on the smackover motorsports site about moments of inertia (the flywheel effect calculations for various weights of flywheels). I think the net of it is that adding flywheel to an XC will not get you totally to the flywheel of an EC... Smackover Motorsports stocks flywheel weights in four or five different sizes - check out the products section of their website (they recently updated it).

Crank stuffers? The crank has holes in it - on the 250 this is filled with plastic plugs, on the 300 they are left out.

GasGas Sites? smackovermotorsports.com, lt-racing.com, and gasgasrider.org for starters. The gasgasrider.org site has a pretty good links page and lists of all aftermarket products that are available along with a crossover parts page showing what parts from other bikes will fit onto the gasgas.

Last edited:

Offroadr

Jan 4, 2000
LOL Mike, thats not what I meant!

Keep in mind that a XC also has stiffer suspension. I think you will like the EC better as it is much plusher.

Offroadr

Jan 4, 2000
Originally posted by Kiwi Bird
"more mature" riders.

Is that in age or intelligence? Are you saying I am old? :eek:

LOL

euro gasgas

Sponsoring Member
Sep 18, 2001
In recent years, the difference between EC and XC models in the suspension department is not that great ('02 model ECs are now available in U.S. with new distributor in place). Newer EC models also come with WP or optional ohlins inverted fork - no more conventional zokes on newer models. My '01 euro/canadian spec EC actually came with stiffer suspension in the rear than the U.S. XC models of the same year. I opted for the front ohlins fork and am very glad I did.

jeff
'01 gasgas ec300 (with ohlins forks).
www.lt-racing.com GasGas Performance Accessories and Services
www.gasgasrider.org GasGas Rider's Club

DahlElama

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2001
Mikeb - Everyone has just about covered it already. The only thing I'll add is that I am a KDX to GasGas convert. I really liked my KDX but I love my Gas Gas. You won't regret the switch.... just do it.

Come over to the Euro side....

woodchuck

May 2, 2000
I second that last post. I switched from a KDX to a 99 GG EC 300 and have no regrets. I absolutely love my bike. It handles great, excellent suspension and has torque out the whazoo. I occasionaly ride my KDX but the Gasser is the bike for me. I preffer tight, steep, slippery technical stuff, and for my size (220 lb) and tough conditions this bike is awesome.

WoodChuck
99 GGEC300 with Michelin X11 trials tire
94 KDX200

justql

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
Mike, I sent you pics of the EC. Come to Stillwater OK the weekend of the 22-23 and you can ride the EC 250 and a 01 XC 300.at our enduro. I'd sell the 300 too. All the pics and time describing the 250 makes me realize how good a bike it is. The 300 has alot more power. I'm hoping it is easier to lug around yet has more up top when you get it there, I don't have enough saddle time on it to say for sure. The 250 is more KDX like. I'm not for sure if it's the ec/xc or 250/300 difference. Smackover is the best gasgas sight. Go to the talking smack section. Even if it's not my bike you gotta get one, You will not regret it.

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
Mike, as you'll remember at dirtweek I was on my hopped up KDX but have since acquired one of these fine Spanish machines, seems like KDX'ers like the GasGas when they choose to upgrade, these things are excellent. Coming up from the KDX240 the EC250 has too much power for me at times, but it's nice to know it's there.
<vader voice on>Come to the dark side :) <vader voice off>

Mikeb

~SPONSOR~
Jun 8, 1999
OOOH OOWW OOHH You guys are twisting my arm ;)

I really like my KDX but the saddle time on a 250 EC made me realize there is a whole new world out there. I will probaby be making the move real soon.

Euro Gas thanks for clearing up the stuffed crank thing. I have been on all those sites in the last week. I will go back and read the flywheel article.

Justin, I cant wait to get home to see the new photos. Stilwater is still almost 10 hour drive for me. Long way man.

Timr ... I may be OLD but I am NOT mature :confused:

Jay ... You aint old cause that means I am REAL OLD.

Thanks for advice fella's. Look for more Newbie questions coming real soon.

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
hey mikeyb, you know me, i think the best things in life are orange, but i suppose reasonable minds can differ, so i'd like to try to help out. 1) a few months ago, southaven kaw had a 300 g-g for sale that they said they'd let go out for a test ride. i think it was a '99 or '00. 2) also, 2 buddies & i will be making that long drive to stillwater, we're doing the blackjack enduros this year. i bet we could find space for another bike, if you & jql strike a deal. just let me know! john

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
Don't tell Canadian Dave and the rest of the KDX'ers but I am seriously considering buying one.

LOL Mike you're busted :eek:

Mike how much to ship a bike? Canadian $ is really taking a kicking. Could be some money to be saved shipping one south? Oh and I promiss not to test ride it before sending it on its way LOL.

You'd be looking at about $5500US for a new 300EC. That's retail so expect some movement on the price.
David

Mikeb

~SPONSOR~
Jun 8, 1999
OK you caught me Dave! I really dont know why I want a different bike The KDX is been A GREAT little ride .. just want to try something different. I really cant scrape up the $$'s for a new one right now. I'll try to call you soon.

Lawman .. I just might take you up on that offer. Give me a call a couple of days before you leave and I will let you know. Number is on MMC member list and is also in the phone book under Collierville listings.

Shawn1

Jul 4, 2001
I thought my KDX was the best all around play bike that I ever owned, until I bought a GG. My 01 XC200 is everything the KDX was and much much more, especially suspension wise. I was always pushing the front end of my KDX to the limits, and it tossed me around pretty bad in the woops. I can hammer my GG as hard as I want through the woops and it begs for more and then take it in the tight, rocky, steep junk and it is still at home. You won't regret buying a GG.

Mikeb

~SPONSOR~
Jun 8, 1999
Lawman, I will be driving to Ark this weekend to look at an 01 EC250 so thanks on your generous offer but I wont be needing you to pick up the bike from Justql. Talk to ya soon.

Mully

Moderator / SuperPowers
Jun 9, 1999
I have a 10 oz. flywheel weight on my XC300 and it will lug down real low, lower then any other bike I have owned. When you get tired in the later stages of a HS this really comes in handy for us old, I mean mature riders.

Mully

This bike could make it into the "Top Three" favorite bikes that I have owned. Just weighting (sorry bad pun) for the first Enduro on it then I will decide.

WoodsRider

Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by Mully
Just weighting (sorry bad pun) for the first Enduro on it then I will decide.
The Summer Bummer is less than two months away. ;)

cetris

May 8, 2001
Do you guys (& girls?) know what the lighting coil capacity is on the 2002 300 XC? Someone near me has one for sale and I am very interested in it, but I would like to dualsport it. I sold my KTM 360 not too long ago and I am riding a DRZ now....like the DRZ but once that European 2-stroke stuff gets in your blood, well you know. :cool:

Oh yea, can anybody that has ridden a GG and a KTM compare the level of vibration. My 360 was a real buzzer, and I have heard that the 200 KTM vibrates a lot too- not sure about the 250's & 300's. Are the GG's much smoother since they have removed the counter balancer?

Thanks alot.

Top Bottom