jbroom

Jan 5, 2006
I'm looking at getting a good trail bike to ride here in texas, and i know that the KDX200/220 fits the bill. I'm also thinking about a 250 fourstroke... depends on what i find in my budget (1-2k). This will be my first dirt bike.

I found a KDX200 and it seems like a good buy, but the guy says he has been racing it and runing it on Jet Fuel? :whoa: I race road bikes, so i know all about VP Race Fuel and all that, but Jet Fuel? Even if it was VP, isn't that stuff hard on gaskets and parts in general? also, anyone recognize what these forks are from? they appear to be inverted MX style forks, but i'm not sure.

http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/421325603.html

any other general advice to spot problems is appreciated. i did a forum search and found a couple pieces of advice here and there, but the more the better!

Thanks for the Help!

Jon

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
Here is some extremely specific advice. RUN AWAY!! from that bike at that price. If it was in such great condition, then why are there no fork guards to protect fork and route the brake line properly?

The forks look like 1993 - 1994 KDX200 forks, so I guess it is a 1993 or 1994 KDX200. It has a Ceet brand seat cover on it, not a stock 1989 OEM cover (which Ceet makes a replica of - the one on the bike).

The lights are gone, the kickstand is gone, fuel tank is somewhat brown stained from gasoline, seat seems to have a nasty layer of black crud on it (left outside??).

You can find an excellent condition late '90's or early 2000's KDX200 / KDX220R at the $2,000 price range. If you are lucky, you might find a recent model at that price, but condition may not command a $2,000+ price.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
LMAO - Jet Fuel. Jet fuel is similar to diesel and kerosene. Do ya think a bike will run well on diesel?

Bike looks a little rough. Pred will be in soon to tell you that KDX's suck.

jbroom

Jan 5, 2006
haha... thanks guys. i'll keep looking

found this one too. looks pretty clean, but not much info. i contacted the seller via email and he said:

"I purchased this bike from a gentleman in Lubbock about three years ago and ride it a little bit every once in a while. The only issue I have had is a spark plug going bad and that's it. It runs great and is in good condition ready to ride."

http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/413000968.html

bonus is that its a 220, and from what i've read i think i'd like a 220 better :debil:

jbroom

Jan 5, 2006
ohh... i just called a local kawi dealer. he has a new 05 200 still on the floor that he'll let go for 3500. also found a new 04 220 for 3500 out the door... mmm...

this will be my first dirt bike, but i've been racing street bikes, so i'm not afraid to work on a bike. is it worth paying the extra 2k for new?

crhines

Aug 27, 2006
The KDX is a solid bike, but it's old technology. The motor is solid (but will need mods) and the suspension is very poor. For $3500 you can buy a newer (used) KTM or 250 4-stroke that will smoke a KDX in every way. Just my opinion.

popthree

Sep 6, 2007
hey crhines
can you fill us in on why the suspension is poor ? would you say it is poor for mx racing or poor for an average joe riding trails ?

crhines

Aug 27, 2006
For starters the spring weight is for a 150 pound rider, but that can be fixed with a heavier spring. The suspension in general does not have the compression and rebound characteristics of the newer bikes - its more rigid and less forgiving.

jbroom

Jan 5, 2006
i read a couple posts reffering to the kdx suspension and how its dangerous unless upgraded, but for the most part everyone seems to think its fine.

i'll only be on trails for the most part and i'm about 150#s, so is the stock suspension good or does it need upgrading?

popthree

Sep 6, 2007
ignorance is bliss i guess.....
i'm just getting going again after a 20 plus year layoff from dirt riding. the kdx suspension feels pretty darn good to me compared to the old Carabela i rode back then . course, i'm just shy of 160lbs @ 5'9".

Ewetah

Jun 29, 2007
Jon,

You should be able to get a new 05 220 for around the $3200.

For trail riding you will not find any problem with the suspension with your weight.

I always stay away from used dirt bikes regardless of the brand unless you know the entire history of the bike or have the ability to assess the mechanical condition thoroughly.

The KDX is a solid bike that is very reliable and makes a great trail ride for many happy owners. It is not a race bike.

Good luck on your hunt.

euromutt

Sep 14, 2007
Be patient and you will find a much better deal. FYI Jet fuel is not diesel fuel but it is very similar if not identical to kerosene. IT WILL NOT RUN IN THAT KDX or any other 2 stroke. Pump gas will work just fine, however if you are going to leave the bike set without running for a period of time you will want to drain the fuel.

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
ebeck said:
Th suspension is perfectly fine for trails and play.
Agree. I put XR400 springs and Gold Valves in mine and raced it in GP-type hare scrambles, trail rode it, play biked on it, rode it around the MX track, rode it in the desert, etc. It was fine. It was fine before I did the mods, too, but better afterwards. As noted above, us old-timers well remember 3" of rear travel that usually did nothing but travel. Damping adjustments?? Whazzat? And we still had a lot of fun, as you will on a good KDX.

Just FYI, I sold my '96 last year with a fresh top end, fresh reeds, fresh rear tire, fresh chain/sprocket, 2 air filters, ProTaper bars, new front Acerbis light, full hand guards, and suspension mods for $1400. It had zero problems and was ready to go.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
euromutt said:
FYI Jet fuel is not diesel fuel but it is very similar if not identical to kerosene.
Jet-A, JP-1, Diesel, and home heating oil are derivatives of kerosene.

ebeck

Dec 13, 2006
Avgas is a high-octane fuel used for aircraft and, in the past, racing cars. Avgas is a portmanteau for aviation gasoline, as distinguished from mogas (motor gasoline), which is the everyday gasoline used in cars. Avgas is used in aircraft that use piston or Wankel engines; gas turbines can operate on avgas, but typically do not. Turbine and diesel engines are designed to use kerosene-based jet fuel.

I used to use Avgas for my high boost turbo car btw...

jbroom

Jan 5, 2006
how about this 03 kdx 220 for $2000:

http://dallas.craigslist.org/mcy/423983693.html

info from owner:
I do all my own maintenance. I run silkolene oil in the cases and motul in the tank. Air filter cleaned and oil changed every three rides. The bike does not have any leaks at all & runs great. Yes those are bark busters with tag bars. I have the owners manual and the service manual. I just put new piston & rings in it. I talked to Jeff fredette racing he said the stock piston has a tendency to crack on the 220's, That is the only reason I replaced it. The only thing wrong is the rear fender is cracked from looping it over from playing around. You can see the crack on the under side only.

sound like a reasonable deal or too high?

i gotta say, he sounds like the most literate guy selling i bike i've talked to. he used periods and everything! :)

ridejunky

Dec 6, 2005
jbroom said:
how about this 03 kdx 220 for $2000:

http://dallas.craigslist.org/mcy/423983693.html

info from owner:
I do all my own maintenance. I run silkolene oil in the cases and motul in the tank. Air filter cleaned and oil changed every three rides. The bike does not have any leaks at all & runs great. Yes those are bark busters with tag bars. I have the owners manual and the service manual. I just put new piston & rings in it. I talked to Jeff fredette racing he said the stock piston has a tendency to crack on the 220's, That is the only reason I replaced it. The only thing wrong is the rear fender is cracked from looping it over from playing around. You can see the crack on the under side only.

sound like a reasonable deal or too high?

i gotta say, he sounds like the most literate guy selling i bike i've talked to. he used periods and everything! :)
That looks more like it, If its in good shape its worth it :nod:

jbroom

Jan 5, 2006
I've got a shiny, new (to me) '03 220 in my garage. $1850 left my pocket, and i took a green bike home :) :)

1413240212_4ff64e00d8.jpg

Last edited:

jamesh75

Sep 6, 2007
Nice looking bike. While we're on the subject of what a used KDX is worth, I need some advice as well. Someone near me has a 93 KDX 200 for $1150. He says it has 500 miles on the top end and has FMF pipe, fresh oil, lubed chain, and clean air filter. For me, going any more than that in price isn't an option. I already have too many expensive hobbies. I plan on going to look at it this weekend, but want to know if it is worth the price.

Thanks.

NATESASR

Sep 15, 2007
two weeks ago i got my first kdx200 from a long time friend he was original owner its a 95 modle he raced tccra 2 seasons ran at marshall creek and rocky ridge all the time only thing he ever did was pick up dessert fmf and power core silencer changed trans oil between each race replaced rear tire once still has original front has original bars im just sayying its pretty amazing he allways lubed his cables oh he put a good oring chain the bike but still has oe sprockets.......engine never been cracked still starts on the first kick he allways ran silkoleen 32:1 and silkoleen light gear oil....these things were really built to ride its alot more cozy than th rm...

NATESASR

Sep 15, 2007
jamesh75 said:
Nice looking bike. While we're on the subject of what a used KDX is worth, I need some advice as well. Someone near me has a 93 KDX 200 for $1150. He says it has 500 miles on the top end and has FMF pipe, fresh oil, lubed chain, and clean air filter. For me, going any more than that in price isn't an option. I already have too many expensive hobbies. I plan on going to look at it this weekend, but want to know if it is worth the price.

Thanks.
i paid 900 for my 95 kdx200 with all his gear and all his chemicals oe pipe and silencer 95-06 are alot alike alot of the parts are interchageable 1150 isnt a bad price if the bike is good for you

ridejunky

Dec 6, 2005
NATESASR said:
two weeks ago i got my first kdx200 from a long time friend he was original owner its a 95 modle he raced tccra 2 seasons ran at marshall creek and rocky ridge all the time only thing he ever did was pick up dessert fmf and power core silencer changed trans oil between each race replaced rear tire once still has original front has original bars im just sayying its pretty amazing he allways lubed his cables oh he put a good oring chain the bike but still has oe sprockets.......engine never been cracked still starts on the first kick he allways ran silkoleen 32:1 and silkoleen light gear oil....these things were really built to ride its alot more cozy than th rm...

Quite possibly the worlds longest run on sentence.

Top Bottom