Looking at KTM 400MXC ... opinions?

E-Ticket

~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2000
I have a Honda '97 XR400 that I LOVE to death for it's stump-pulling torque at "43 rpms," it's "can't-kill-it-with-a-rock-reliability," fit-n-finish, and overall grin factor.

But I'm starting to get more into the racing side of life (Grand Prix's, occasional MX play-days) and hearing the siren call of the e-button...

So am now mulling over pumping more moo-lah and parts into ol' reliable ... or just go get a KTM 400 MXC.

Anybody have direct experience with both the KTM 400 MXC and the XR400? Would love to hear major pluses/minues between the two bikes.

Concerned about losing the XR400's best-of-class ability in the "snotty-rocky-muddy" places that you can hardly walk through.... (I ride in the Pacific Northwest woods up in Oregon.)

Thanks in advance! - E-Ticket

BigBore

Jun 16, 1999
Really, besides price, there is no disadvantage to the KTM. Well, OK, changing the oil kinda sucks (two filters, two screens I believe), but other than that, its just a kick ass bike. I've ridden quite a bit on my friend's '02 400 E/XC, and I really like it. I've got considerable saddle time on XR400's (including a nicely equipped XR440)......and I'd take the KTM if you can swing it.

Don't worry about the KTM's ability in the extremly nasty stuff. It does every bit as the XR does, and then some.

Last edited:

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
I've owned both XR4 & XR6, the KTM's are thoroughbred's by comparison. With the MXC or EXC, depending on your weight and riding abiltities, you may need to increase spring rates front and rear. Get the suspension dialed in, and these bikes are in a league above.

Unit74

Dec 16, 2001
All I can say is " Stand by for blast-off" I too have ridden both the XR and the RFS and the KTM with a good rider will match a smokin' XR rider. The KTM instills confidence and the power and suspension is far above the Honda. If you have the cash, the EXC/MXC line is your ticket to winning. The parts are pricey and oil changes are more labor intensive but after racing and riding for 17 years, I can only say I wish I would have bought the RFS a long time ago. My score sheets would look much nicer and so would the trophies! Get the RFS and leave the competion behind. ;)

KevinB4stk

Jul 5, 2000
I've taken the XR400 about as far as you could possibly go, my brother Don's 02 400EXC is far superior than the XR400 in every way. I'm not saying that the XR isn't a good bike, it's a great trail bike but, for racing there realy is no comparison. You will get used to the maintenence,it's no big deal, it's just part of ownig such a great bike that you don't realy have to do anything to to go riding or racing.

EM rider

Apr 27, 2001
I have an XR4 and an EXC 400 and love them both. If I had to pick one, the KTM would win by a mile. I had the XR4 first and got the KTM for the same reasons you mentioned. From zero to half throttle, they are nearly identical bikes. Excellent torque, easy to control smooth power. Can climb anything. But from half to full throttle, they are very different. The KTM has MUCH more power and keeps pulling long after the XR4 cuts out. The KTM is also much less forgiving. If you hit a rock or land off a jump and blip the throttle by accident, you can get into big trouble fast. At this time, the KTM FAR exceeds my riding ability but I think I'm making more progress on it than I was on the XR4.

Just changed the oil and tightened bolts/spokes on both this afternoon. Took about 20min for the XR4 and probably 40min for the KTM (plus oil needs to be changed more frequently). A minor hassle, but well worth it for such a great bike.

E-Ticket

~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2000
Thanks for all the input. .... 'cause

bingo-bango-bongo.... there's a "pumpkin" in the garage!

Yup. Thought about it, came to the conclusion that life is *way* too short, said what the hell... and went and bought the KTM 400 MXC.

woo-hoo! And yes, it does start just a *little* bit better. (grin)

Ride reports to follow! Cheers! - E-Ticket

whyz

~SPONSOR~
Nov 18, 2001
Alright !! I was at Pro-Caliber the other day in Wash.. Drooled over the 400's
I want one.. What's the diff. with the 400 sx? Is it the E-start?Suspension?.. Is the suspension for the sx better than the mxc or exc?
Have fun with your bike Yo!:confused:

Unit74

Dec 16, 2001
19" wheels, 1/2 gal less fuel, 48 mm forks vs 43's, no e-start, torqueier exhaust pipe/no sparky, 1" shorter wheelbase, 10 lbs lighter, no lighting coil and that's about it.

Top Bottom