Java

Sep 13, 2007
Hey Folks,

It's been 3 years since I last had a bike. My last ride was a 96 XR250. I currenty have an XR80 that I picked up for my daughter and need to pick up a ride for me now.

I loved the XR250, but looking for something with a little more punch but still has the strong reliability like the XR had.

Looking for some advice since I have not kept up with bike technology.

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)

I am 5'8" tall and weigh 170 (trying to lose a few pounds.LOL)

2) How physical / aggressive are you ?

I would say I am about middle of the road on riding style. Like to get somewhat aggressive, but don't like to push my luck. I don't heal as fast as I used to when I was a kid. With all my adult responsibilities, I need to stay somewhat healthy to pay the bills.

3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????

Typically woods, fields and trails. Most time will probably be with my wife (if I can get her to go) and daughter until she moves out for college (Also, she is just learning to ride). However, I do plan on getting out there with some friends that are much more experienced, so tearing it up will certainly be a part of the fun. Not a big fan of track riding (too redundant for me), however will occasionaly take a lap or 2 around the track.

4) Do you have any riding experience?

Yes, 30+ years with the occasional gap of 3-4 years during that period when I did not own a bike.

5) Do you think you will race?

No.

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?

I can, but would rather not. Willing to sacrafice performance for reliability. However, I always do the routine maintenance (oil changes, etc.) myself. Loved my XR, just want more juice!

7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?

4 Stroke. Hate mixing gas. Also prefer reliability of the 4 stroke family. Have been a long time Honda fan for their performance and reliability. However, Yamaha has been a favorite of mine as well.

Not sure how these new 4 strokes perform, but they look like a blast.

8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?

Probably will buy private party once I make a selection of best bike for me.

9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?

Approx. 3K. May go up a little depending on info obtained here.

10) Do you live in California?

Born and raised there, all my family still lives there, but I currently live in Texas. Work could pull me back into CA though. However, 90% of the riding will be in the Lone Star State.

11) Your age?

12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion

Can't think of anything.

Last edited:

Sahinoz

Sep 2, 2007
You want a 4-stroke, you like Honda and Yamaha, you won't ride on track, I have some suggestions to you.

Firstly, real dirtbikes: Honda CRF250X-CRF450X or Yamaha WR250F-WR450F.

Secondly enduros, great endurance and reliability as you understand from their name
Honda XR400R or XR650R, Suzuki DR-Z400S.

But I think Suzuki DR-Z400E is just what you need. Can work perfect in trails and pretty good even on track, it's a dirt bike with a ultra-reliable engine. This bike is the mixture of an enduro and a special dirt-bike. It's like dirt-duro :)

Java

Sep 13, 2007
Thanks. Had a friend that had the DRZ, I rode it a few times. Good bike, but felt too heavy making the handling a little sluggish in the corners. But it did have quite a pop to it.

I have heard that the new Honda's go through valves pretty quickly, any truth to this?

It seems that most reviews/comments I have seen show the Honda has the better suspension set up.

I am leaning towards the CRF250X but the valve thing has me concerned. It seems a pretty good mix of weight vs. performance.

Anyone have an idea how much more punch the CRF250 has over the XR250?

Sahinoz

Sep 2, 2007
I have no idea about valves, but I know that CRF's have great suspension. XR is not a competitive bike, so you can be sure that CRF will punch you much more than XR. If I were you I would get CRF250X for trails..

Java

Sep 13, 2007
Sahinoz said:
I have no idea about valves, but I know that CRF's have great suspension. XR is not a competitive bike, so you can be sure that CRF will punch you much more than XR. If I were you I would get CRF250X for trails..

After looking around, I think I found a possible solution. This forums very own Patman put together a hybrid that seems to fit the bill...

Forum does not allow links, but do a search on Dirt Rider.net for "Calling Patman ref XR284" and it should come up.

A little heavier than I would like, but I could stand to work out more anyway and lose a few pounds would not hurt either.

I think this is pretty much what I was looking for.

Top Bottom