looking for a dirt bike and street bike

thejealousarm

Jun 27, 2010
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
5'11" 185lbs
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
i can be at times, but pretty subdued most of the time.
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
mostly street, dirt roads, and a monthly trail or so
4) Do you have any riding experience?
none
5) Do you think you will race ?
no
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
no, i want a hassle free bike
7) Do YOU have a preferrance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
none really, probably 4 stroke though.
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
not really
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?
no more than 2000
10) Do you live in California?
nope
11) Your age?
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
i want something to get around within 30 miles, taking twice weekly trips down dirt roads. I just want something to get me around, not be a mechanical nightmare. acceleration isn't an issue so much an issue, just want something that will do 60-65mph, and yes, it needs to be street legal

any help or further questions appreciated.

thanky!

ws6transam

Nov 17, 2005
Any old Kawasaki KLR250 would fit the bill. That was my first motorcycle and it got me around central Australia pretty well, until I started getting really aggressive with my riding & started breaking off license plates. Nice & reliable, water cooled, easy to start 4-stroke. Been the same design since 1983.

Here's an example, though personally I think the graphics on this one's a bit on the gaudy side.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230492504832

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
How much highway is in your road riding? If it's local surface streets and nothing over short rides on 55mph state roads something in the 250 range would work. If you have something like some interstate roads in your plans look at something in the 400-650 range. They will be heavier bikes but also able to deal with the speeds and wind buffeting much better.

Any of these can be made road legal pretty easily or come ready to go.

Honda = XR250, XR400, XR600, XL650, XR650
Kawasaki = KLR/X 250/300, KLR400, KLR/X650 or Super Sherpa
Suzuki = DR250, DR400, DR650
Yamaha = WR250, WR400, and old DT250/360/400

IMHO sticking with a basic air or oil & air cooled bike would be your best bet. Less to damage and less to maintain, most were seriously tough engines that just ask for the occasional oil change and air filter cleaning.

thejealousarm

Jun 27, 2010
so there is an '85 yamaha 600 for sale for about 950. most of it is rebuilt, the previous owner before the seller had gotten drunk and took a hammer to the motorcycle, the current owner put in a new muffler, gas tank, piston heads, spedomoter, handlebars, brakes. it is street legal and has a clean title. it's not the prettiest and i'm thinking it might be a bit too big for me.

it had been used primarily for trail riding but then a couple years ago the guy got the title and rides it on 30 mile journeys every day.

thoughts?

Top Bottom