lwhiteb

Jan 7, 2002
hi im looking for a good mx/woods bike ive looked at a 99 vor503e/a2000 husaberg fc501 this is a new bike/ive also looked at a ktm sx400/and would liketo know about maybe a gas gas of these bikes which is th better bike as far as power and reliability any helpwould be great

Eric82930

~SPONSOR~
Oct 26, 2001
It sounds like you are in the market for the same thing I am.
I haven't rode all these models, because aside from the KTM, they are pretty rare bikes. I asume your'e interested in a 4 stroke and I don't think the Gas Gas 4 stroke is available yet. As for the others I would say the KTM would curently be the best choice because it has a six speed and is Pretty light. You may wan't to gear it down a little for the woods but I hear about MX guys gearing them down to so I don't think it would be a problem if you race MX. The husaberg is light too but I don't like the left side kick starter. I am waiting to see what yamaha and Kawie do for 2003 and if they aren't much better the KTM will be my purchase.

mkuder

Jan 3, 2002
I too am looking for a MX/Woods bike, KTM is my first choice, but the new Husqvarna's are looking good, I'm concentrating on the 400s. The MXC has the larger tank and gearing for woods but the suspension is a bit light for the MX that I would be riding. The SX is the opposite in those areas and the price is considerably less. This would be easily converted to a larger tank and more woods friendly gearing, which on a 4 stroke I probably won't even bother with. I haven't read to much on the Husky's but don't plan on making my purchase until later this year and will have read a few tests by then!

Mdkuder
2000 Suzuki DRZ400s
1998 KTM 125SX

Coach in ND

Mar 19, 2001
I had a 2001 KTM 400 SX last year and race all kinds of off-road and motocross. It's the perfect bike. I geared it down a little....they come geared way tall from the factory, installed a steering damper and some exhaust and smiled big everytime I rode it. You can't go wrong with this bike.

Coach

Coach in ND

Mar 19, 2001
The SX came geared sotck with a 14-50 combo. I dropped the countershaft to a 13. This makes second gear perfect for motocross tracks but still leaves the power plenty broad. Some guys are going to 13-52 for the woods but I don't like how in narrows up the powerband and makes you have to shift more often. On my 2002 on plan on trying 13-51 and 13-50 to see which works best.

Coach

Top Bottom