Looking for a good sand tire that isnt horrible on harder pack

sixds

Mar 25, 2007
i ride a lot on grid roads just getting from here to there, and a lot on hard packed track. we go to sand pits a lot and the tire i have now sucks on sand.

i need a tire that isnt bad on hard pack but is really good on sand.

thanks.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Can't have your cake and eat it too. Best case scenario is finding a tire that is average for both uses. I'd try something like a Michelin MS3. The other side of the equation is how worn is your tire? No tire is going to be good in the sand after you've been rounding all the knobs off on the gravel roads around the house.

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Michelin M12.

sixds

Mar 25, 2007
thanks for the suggestions. i think what im going to do is get a soft terrain tire, then get a hard terrain tire and see what one i like more.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
I saw someone at Pismo Beach running what looked like a Dunlop 756 rear tire. He was holding his own against everybody with a paddle. I personally run that tire on hard pack and prefer it over some of the hardpack tires like the 739.

FunkyD

Apr 26, 2007
I saw some guys useing pirelli scorpion tires at the dunes. the knobs are aranged into a paddle-esque shape.
img_scorpion%20mx%20soft%20410.jpg

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Pirelli Scorpions are the sand tire of choice for sand track racing around here. One trip down the gravel road would pretty much destroy them though.

sixds

Mar 25, 2007
i think im going to buy one another rim and get a tire for hard pack and something like that pirelli and just switch off when we got sand riding.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Another vote for Dunlop's 756.........designed as a soft-int tire, works well on int-hard too. Dunlop's newish 952 may be another choice too, perhaps a little longer lasting than the 756, and leaning a little more to soft......(not so stable when cornering on harder terrain)........ based on my experience.

Top Bottom