Looking for a good starter for my 8 yr old son

jbwood

Jan 12, 2004
I haven't been on a bike since the early 70's. I went out as a teen and bought the new and impressive CR 125 Elsinore. Now my son is asking for a dirt bike and I don't know what is good anymore. Price is also an issue. When I purchased that 125 30 years ago it cost me a grand total of $633.00 right off the show room floor and we got em to throw in the top of the line Bell helmut. I stopped by and looked at the newest honda 70 ( I think it was an XL or something like that) $1,500 I am a liver patient so that's about the most I can afford. All sugestions on a good Dirt bike for for about that price would be much appreciated.

dp400

Aug 8, 2001
There are two bikes out there that are great starters and have some room for growing into as well.
First..Kaw KLX (?) 110
and.....Yami TTR 90

We have the TTR 90 for my 8 year old. It;s a great bike but I think the klx 110 is a little taller and also a great bike - might work better for a growing 8 year old.

I would look for a used one - 1-2 years used - in your area.

Good Luck

JoeCharge

Mar 13, 2000
Depending on his size: If you want to ease the learning curve an XR70 would be nice. Shifting is required but no clutch work. An XR80 would have a clutch and be a bit bigger. Both would be excellent choices.

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
KLX110 is a great choice, auto clutch makes it easy to ride. Also XR70 amd PW80 are good bets, depends on the size of the kid.

Man, just get him a bike ...... NOW !

jski

Sponsoring Member
Apr 5, 2001
I just upgraded from the PW-80 to the XR-80 for my 8 y/o son and think that in your case the klx-110 or xr-70 would be a good choice. The PW-80 was my sons first bike at 6 1/2 it was perfect for about the first 6 months and after that he wanted more and was getting to big for the bike. I really considerd the KLX-110 next but thought it was time for a clutch but when talking to people that had the KLX they just loved the bike and I think this year Kawasaki lowerd the price by $100.00 to around $1500.00 which is a great deal for that bike as I was very impressed with the KLX.

Top Bottom