Looking for a Green Sticker 2 stroke.

Hierro

Sep 24, 2006
1: 6'1" 200 lbs
2: pretty physical/agressive
3: 25% Mx 75% Trails
4: Mostly 2 strokes from 80's-500's, quit riding for awhile, been on a clapped out 85 yz 250 for the last 6 months.
5: Possibly hare scrambles, or tiny chance of local MX
6: Yup, do all my own maintenance, but pay for the cases to be split.
7: 2 Stroke, Yamaha, Kawasaki, maybe a european mfg.
8: Everyones within 30 miles.
9: $2500-3000
10: Yup, smack dab in the middle of Red sticker land.
11: 34

I've been looking for a clean 2000-2002 YZ250, KX250, KTM 250sx, or 300MXC. Am I on the right track for a bike that will do alright for an occaisional track day but mostly trail bike. Also had some guy at work start ripping on KX's and tell me I should look for a CR, How's that giant chunk of Aluminum that Honda uses feel compared to a steel frame? Any help would be appreciated.

Hierro

Sep 24, 2006
Ok, in a nutshell, everything before 2003 gets a green sticker, and you can ride anywhere, anytime, as long as you have permission to ride there. Every bike 2003 and older has to meet emissions standards to get a green sticker. There are no 2 strokes after 2002 that have green stickers, and most of the 4 strokes don't either. The WR's, CRF X bikes, and some of the KTM's do. But good luck getting one for a MX bike. My personal conspiracy theory is that this was started by the same people that started the whole Mtn bikes erode trails in Marin County worse than horses do crap.

Edit: Sorry Coors Light induced alzheimers setting in, if you have a RED sticker there are places that limit the time you can ride there, pretty much from April till October, but it varies by location. During this restricted period you can't ride in the area if you have a red sticker, because everyone knows my YZ pollutes more during a couple of hours on the weekend than that Escalade commuting to work all week.

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
I would find (like you said) a 2000 to 2002 YZ, KX, CR, RM 250. Everyone has their own opinions, and will tell you different things.

i like my KX. But find the newest best condition bike you can find in your price range and you'll be happy.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom