Looking for a new sprocket for YZ 125

Ryan314

Feb 4, 2007
So my front and rear sprockets are starting to get worn out so I'm thinking it's time to replace them. At the same time, I would like to get a little more torque out of my '97 YZ 125. I believe I'm running 49 in the rear, 13 in the front. What do you guys reccomend for getting some more torque? Also, what brands of sprockets do you reccomend/not reccomend? Are those sprocket and chain kits listed on e bay any good?

As far as installation, I've never put on a new sprocket before. Is it hard to do? Or something that should probably be done by a professional?

Thanks,
Ryan.

woodsrider823

Aug 8, 2005
If you have even a little bit of expirence working with tools you should be able to do the sprocket change yourself. I would go with a one tooth lower sprocket in the front for more torque but thats just me. And as far as brands go I run renthal and havent been disapointed yet.

Ryan314

Feb 4, 2007
Thanks. I thought that adding more teeth will give you more torque? Or is that only for the rear sprocket? Can someone explain this to me! :coocoo:

sixds

Mar 25, 2007
adding teeth in the rear will add torque, and taking teeth away in the front will have the same effect. i think 1 tooth in the front is equal to 3 or 4 teeth in the back.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
If you want a hair more torque, step the rear up to 51 or 53 for a significant change. It isn't necessary to go smaller on the front. For chains and sprockets, I'm partial to DID and Sunstar. I've never been let down.

Ryan314

Feb 4, 2007
I'm not sure the size on my front sprocket right now... I think I'm gonna go with 12/49 or 12/50... Or maybe even 13/53? Ahhh please help me decide!

And where can I find these kits online?

Last edited:
May 9, 2007
Personally I don't like 12T front sprockets, they're murder on the chain. I would stick with 13 on the front, and add 1 or 2 teeth to the rear to achieve what you are trying to do.

Top Bottom