Roostn Roy

Feb 22, 2002
Hi,

I just joined DRN. I used to ride alot between the ages of 9 and 22, but have been out of this for 12 years now. I had to sell my last bike when I went to college. Now I'm at a point where I get back into it.

I'm looking for a used bike between $1500 - $2500.

My last bike was an 82 RM250Z. I really liked the power and rear suspension on that machine. Back then, I weighed around 160 so that bike seemed really fast.

I am wondering how the newer MX 250s compare to my old bike. Are they tremendously faster? I know the brakes and suspensions have improved a great deal.

I like the looks of the RMX 250 from 95 -98. Any issues with that bike??

At 6'3" and 210 lbs, should I be looking for something a little more powerful? I like to trail ride, woods, and am not afraid of a little air once in a while.

Looking at the newer enduro bikes, it seems like they have a lot of suspension travel compared to 15 years ago. Are they going to be comparable to a mid 80's MX bike?

A guy I work with has a YZ426F and raves about it. Of course, that's a little out of my price range. But I see Yamaha made the WR400 in '98 and that might be at the top of my range. I'm not averse to four strokes, and I've also owned two XR's, a 200 and a 500. Both were extremely reliable but really undersuspended for my type of riding. Again, I guess the newer ones have much better suspensions than what I am used to.

I like an engine with good midrange power. 125's are not my style.

THe KDX200 I rode handled great but seemed a little underpowered for me.

Sorry for rambling, it's early!

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Roostn Roy

dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
I'd say KDX 220 or mabye even a klx 300. You could look into an Xr400 (all xr's from 250 up have 11 inches or more susp. travel) Or even a DRZ 400 . A wr400 wouldnt be too bad...I've never seen one before though.

The newer mx 250's will eat up your old rm and spit it out. More HP and 12 inches of travel front and rear.

crkid

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 2001
the newer 250 mx'ers have been improved so much since your last bike. they would do exactly what dell said, chew it up and spit it out.
the bigger xr's (250 and up) would be a good choice for what you are looking to do, they've got a bit more travel then when you used to ride.
if i were you, i'd listen to dell, try out the kdx220 or the klx300, both are excellent woods bikes from what i hear. possibly try posting some questions about the kdx's in the "kdx only forum", you should get a lot of responses.

Mojo_Rooster

Dec 30, 2001
The RMX's are good reliable bikes.I've had 2 of them,a 1990 and a 1993.I'm 6'2" and 210#.For the price range you are looking at you can't beat an RMX.

OKKX'er

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 10, 2001
Welcome back! I had a '82 RM 250 myself. The low and mid-range power of the new power valved bikes will make you very happy. I think you be would happy with the RMX, and there is more power easily available with airbox mods and a different pipe.

KDX200Biker

Nov 22, 2001
I would say a kdx would be good. if u got a fmf pipe. the stoke pipe is crap powerwise. If the bike u rode was stock, then try one with a pipe. they have more power then that old 250, with the pipe. some ppl over 230 i know ride kdx's and they pull them just fine. Mine really rips.

TWRT

Sep 13, 2001
where do you live? I have a 1993 Yamaha WR250 for sale. new piston, clutch, linkage bearings, front wheel bearing and other stuff. well maintained, $1850 obo. it's been a great bike:)

Roostn Roy

Feb 22, 2002
Hi,

I live in Baton Rouge LA. Thanks for the offer!

I am a little hesitant to buy a bike without looking at it and riding it first.

I used to live in San Diego, so when I last bought a used bike, I must've had 10 used 250's to choose from and to ride. That helped me choose my last bike.

Here though, the dirt bike market is somewhat limited. There is one place in town that sells used bikes. The have a '98 DR350SE (no), a '99 KX 250 in pretty good shape, and a '94 Husky 620(?) that has dual exhausts but is very heavy compared to what I last rode, and I imagine Husky parts probably don't grow on trees around here!

I've some things about '99 KX 's specifically stating that they had problems with the coatings on the cylinder walls flaking off while the engine is relatively new.

I don't believe everything I read but one thing I loved about my RM and my two Hondas was that they rarely broke or left me stranded. The RM had issues with vibrations, but the engine was a rock solid performer.

Thanks for responding though. The search continues.....

Roostn' Roy

TWRT

Sep 13, 2001
I was just wondering if you were close to me in Greensboro, NC. I would let you ride it first, of course! Too bad I live so far away. We would also have let you ride the other bikes we have, just for comparison. My friend has a 2000 kx 250, good bike, no problems. I like my new 2001 yz 250 better though. It is an incredible ride. I just put the WR back together, spent $1200 on it since last spring, plus it has many extras. I rode it some this weekend, tons of low end!!! It's looking for a good, loving home:)

tigerowner

Mar 3, 2002
You can find a late 90s European Enduro 250 for around 2500. If you are woods riding may as well get a bike made for it like an E/XC or a WR.

parish8

Nov 29, 2001
i just got a wr250f and love it but i am about 50lbs lighter, the same dealer where i got my bike has a 2000wr400f on the floor that could be had for around 3k i bet. it is a little out of your range. the only bike i have seen mentioned that i would avoid is the xr250, i think you will need a little more power than that bike has. at $2500 you will have alot of choices, i just can't believe how good all the bikes are.

Top Bottom