Looking for advice on a bike for my son

crrod

Aug 14, 2006
I have a son that is 8 years old, will be 9 in Feb. He is 4'9" tall a weighs in at 102 lbs. Pretty good size for his age when I see him with his peers at school.

He has had his first bike this year, a 2003 XR50R, in which he learned to ride on. I went with such a small bike for him so that he wouldn't feel intimidated, he hadn't learned to ride a bike yet without training wheels. To get to ride the 50, he had to learn to ride his bicycle, which took about 3 afternoons. Funny how incentive made him WANT to learn to ride.

He really took to the 50 and had a blast all summer long. From the get go it was obvious he was just to big to be comfortable on this bike, although he loved it. I have since sold it and am looking for another bike. This time I want something with a clutch. I was thinking along the lines of a Honda 80cc 4 stroke. But lately I have been seeing a few KX65 2 storkes for sale. What do you all think about the KX65. Would it be to small physically? I see the seat height is taller than the Honda 80's, but the tires are a size smaller at each end. Wheel base is about 3" difference.

I personally love my 2 strokes and think he would to once he made the adjustment to a clutch. I like the fact that the KX65 is lighter than the Honda 80 too. An 80cc 2 stroke for this kid is definately out of the question.

How well do the KX65 hold up? Do the top ends need done on a regular basis much like the 125's? What is a fair price for an 04 model with an FMF exhaust, runs good and looks good.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I really think you need to be looking at an 80. A little better power delivery so the clutch is a bit less of an issue, a few of them are power valve engines which helps even more and his size will make the 65 too small too fast if it isn't already.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
I bought my boy a KX85 when he was just about to turn 8. He's a big boy too. Probably weighed 90 or so when we got it. Other than having to lower the suspension and cut the seat foam so he could reach, he took to it fine.

The only reason I'd vote for a 65 is if he wanted to race. My boy has run a few hare scrambles and it seems that kids are faster on bikes they are otherwise too big for.

KX250Dad

Dec 4, 2006
Just a thought... should have kept the xr50... in another couple of years you'll son will want it back for a pit bike to throw his money into. Knowing your familier with 2stk's might it not be wiser to get a dependable xr100 to learn the clutch thing and the seat height will be lower? I had a heart to heart talk with my son (too many years ago) and asked him which he'd rather do trails/enduro or mx... he liked tracks and jumping so we sold the xr's and he wound up with an 80. It was ugly, and I mean ugly, off the back, over the bars, casing faces, you name it. Eventually he caught on and does well on his 125 and 250 2stks. Never did break a bone on the 80... Obviously theirs a huge riding difference between a xr50 and a 65/85. If you feel your son is leaning more toward trails I'd consider a bigger 4stk/clutch xr... they sell easier than the smaller two stks so when or if you and your son decide to turn mx selling a dependable xr will happen quickly. Maintenance on a beginner 80 isn't bad, most time is spent fouling plugs and if you get one with a pwr valve you might have carbon issues... beginner riders ride low in the band. WHile we like to keep our sons (daughters) involved in the bike selection process we as parents need be careful... after all what looks cooler a xr100 or a cr80. Be safe and good luck.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Yes, the KX65 is a good bike, but it does require the typical 2-stroke maintenance. Unfortunately at 4'9" and 102, your boy is a bit big. The stock suspension is sprung for a 65-75 lb kid. My son is about 4'2" and about right in height. The good news here is that he started riding it long before he could reach the ground. I used to leave a platform on the ground for him to stop next to. You should look at the 85 2 strokes. There will be a big jump in power, but he should be able to adapt. My son went from a PW50 to a KX65 at the age of 6

ur730im911

Uhhh...
Dec 4, 2006
well a kx65 sounds small for him i think a cr 80 sounds like a great bike for him or maybe a pw80 witch is more easy to ride being a beginer trail bike but id go with a cr 80 for him

crrod

Aug 14, 2006
I think a 2 stroke larger than a 65 would be unstable when combined with this kid. I probably better just look for a 4 stroke 80 or 100. I have another XR50 that I most likely won't sell, my 7 year old rides it, he isn't nearly as big as the 8 year old and the XR50 is just right. And if anyone is making a pitbike, it is going to be me:)

What got me interest in a KX65 was an 04 I seen with an aftermaarket suspension which added a couple inches to the height. Perhaps though, learning a clutch is best on a 4 stroke as opposed to learning a 2 stroke and a clutch at the same time.

I'd look at other makes of 4 strokes but apparently all that is made is an automatic clutch, such as the KLX and the Suzuki counter part.

crrod

Aug 14, 2006
FruDaddy said:
In that case, look ate the CFR100F. Also, take a look at the 125 play bikes.

That is what I was leaning towards. I compared the CRF100 to the CRF80 and think the 80 would be best. I think he'd have a hard time handling the 100.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
My daughter is 4'9" and can ride a TTR125, although she doesn't ride much. I have test fitted her to the CRF100F and it was just about perfect for her. Try it on before you rule it out.

crrod

Aug 14, 2006
Well I test fitted him on the 100 and 80 (Honda CRF). Going to get the 80, only able to touch with on foot, on the ball of his foot on the 100. Just wanted him to have a lilttle more stability since he is still relatively new to MC. If he out grows it faster than anticipated, I have a younger son that will move it to it in a couple years anyway.

Nov 25, 2006
I think you made the right choice. The 80 will be worth just about what you paid for it 1 year down thr road, and at that point, he might want an 85. most of the guys here did'nt agree with you unfortunately.

Top Bottom