Sep 15, 2004
i am in the market for an enclosed trailer.I was going to pick up a haulmark 6x12 single axle trailer....but then i looked at the interior size and i dont think it is enough room.I think i will be getting a 7x14 haulmark.we have 2 250s, 1 85 ,1 kx 100 and a 250 4 wheeler.With all the bikes and a quad i dont think there will be enough room in the 6x12.not to mention room for tools and gas and gear.The 7x14 is also tandem wheel.I drive a ford f250 super duty diesel so i dont think there will be a problem hauling the 7x14.is it worth another $1800 ? any ideas how to set it up?do you need wheel chocks?or will just the d rings do?I am a sheet metal worker so i can fabricate shelves and cabinets and such.Should i paint or treat the floor before using it?thanks

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
Take all of your bikes and the 4 wheeler and set them up in your drive way as if they were loaded in a trailer. Then measure the length and width of this area and you will have an idea of what size to buy.

From by experience of purchasing a enclosed trailer I went with one size larger then I thought I needed. It works for most of my hauling needs, however now I which I would have purchased a trailer that was wider.

Good luck, I really like having a enclosed trailer. Here are two links to give you some ideas for what to do with the inside. :nod:

http://www.crazyted.us/trailer.html

http://home.comcast.net/~ssauer40/cargomate/cargomate.html

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
The tandem axle trailer will tow a lot better than the single axle trailer. I've got a 7x16 now and had a 6x12 and I like the new one better. OK, it also has a ramp door and air conditioning on it, which are two really nice features the old one lacked.

You can never have too much room in a trailer. Trust me. ;)

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
If I was towing with a F250 Super Duty Diesel I would buy the biggest trailer I could manage, assuming I had a place to park it.

Your F250 won't have any problem pulling the 7x14. The added space will make loading the bikes a lot easier, plus you will always be able to throw in extra gear or haul a buddies bike.

The tandem axles may come in handy if you end up loading the trailer up. Probably not an issue with your bikes but you may decide to use the trailer for another purpose. It isn't hard to reach load capacity of single axle and you can really get into trouble if you exceed the weight rating of the tires.

Another area that tandem axles are nice is when you disconnect the trailer from the truck and then mess around in the trailer. If you get a quad and two people at the back of a single axle trailer you may find the tongue lifting up unless you have put stabilizer jacks under the back. Such a thing is very unlikely on a tandem axle trailer.

Rod

Sep 15, 2004
I went out today and picked up the 7x14 tandem axle.NICE TRAILER!! I love those electric trailer brakes too, makes a big difference.I got 5 bikes ( 2 250's 1 85, 1 100, 1 klx 110)and a 4wheeler to fit in it.Even room for my tool chest and foot locker and gas and gear!!! :laugh: Taking a little honda eu 2000 generator riding next time so i can have music and some fans going.I am sure it will take some time to set up just the right way,but i couldnt be happier with the decision to go bigger.The f 250 super duty diesel handles this trailer fully loaded with no problem.I definately notice that it is back there, but i thought it would be harder to pull.thanks for the advice!!!!

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
Trust me, your F250 will have no trouble with that trailer, no matter what you load in it.

My F350 Power Stroke Diesel has pulled a 36' gooseneck flatbed trailer (36' deck, plus 7' overhang; roughly 6000lbs empty) loaded with logs 8-12' long and 30" or larger in diameter. I'm pretty sure that the trailer and logs were in the 12-15,000lb range.

No, I wouldn't do it on a regular basis, but I those logs made it to the sawmill just fine and are now a VERY large stack of lumber. ;)

roadhor

Jun 2, 2004
One of my riding buddies is going to sell his enclosed trailer . He has it all set up ,w/ a gen. living quarters, Air. if you want I can give you his phone # but you live a long ways away.
Later , Rob

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
roadhor said:
One of my riding buddies is going to sell his enclosed trailer . He has it all set up ,w/ a gen. living quarters, Air. if you want I can give you his phone # but you live a long ways away.
Later , Rob
and he also already bought one :blah:

Sep 15, 2004
Update on the enclosed trailer

I went riding with the trailer saturday...real nice just taking a break in the shade in the trailer was a nice change.Worked all day today trying to set it up just the right way.I hard wired the trailer for 110 volts...for house power or a generator.Just put one plug in for a light and a fan or power tools.I also had a spare car stereo and some kenwood 6x9's..so i installed them as well.I bought some floor cabinets for garage storage at lowes...they were on a closeout sale.........or so I told the wife. :laugh: LOL then i built a bench over the cabinets. It goes along the entire back of the trailer. The stereo and speakers sit in a bulkhead above the workbench.Also put in some hanhers for helmets and gear.I will have to take some pics so you can see and tell me what you think.I am very pleased with the trailer. :nod:

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
Does it have a roof vent?

If so, Google "RV Air Conditioner" and go from there.

Mine has one and it is the shizzle. While everyone else looks for shade, I grab a Gatorade and go sit in refrigerated comfort. ;)

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
It was on the trailer when I bought it, which was a prime reason why I bought it. It also has both RV latches and a cam-lock latch on the side door, which works quite nicely for using it as a "trackside motel."

But to get back to your question, new ones run around $700 or so from what I've seen. Mine is made by Carrier. It runs on 110V AC power so you need a generator or some other source of external power to run it. In theory it could be run on batteries and an inverter, but inverters that size are VERY expensive. I've run mine on a ~3500W generator just fine.

As far as installation goes, they are designed to work on trailer roof vents so I don't think installation would be too difficult. No more than most any other modification to an enclosed trailer, which you'll do plenty of before it's all over. ;)

Top Bottom