theroyz71

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2003
First off, I don't think I have asked this question here before. If I have, I apologize for the repost. If this belongs elsewhere, please move.

I want to get a bike to put around on with my son who's on a kdx50. Most of our riding will be open pasture. We may do some trail riding as his skill level improves. We may also do some track time. The track time would be for fun and not include serious racing on my part (40 yrs old). I am 5'8" with a 29" inseam and I weigh about 185 pounds.

I am thinking about getting a KLX125L. I figure it would make a decent playbike with some stiffer springs and a few mods. Also, it would be a decent bike for the wife to learn on.

What does everyone think about this bike for the type of riding I plan to do? What might be a better choice?

burchdogs

Mar 7, 2003
YOU MIGHT FIND IT A LITTLE SMALL FOR YOU BUT IT WOULD BE GREAT FOR THE WIFE TO LEARN ON. I WOULD SUGGEST LOOKING AT THE CRF230F FOR YOU.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Nothing wrong with the mid sized 125ish 4T's. The Honda CRF150 is heavier but has more power and is on the larger end of this bunch. The Yamaha has the L model with better brakes and an E version with the magic button. I don't have any experience with the Kawzukis but they look to be pretty much like the Yamaha which I find as a hoot. For anything more serious than just playing around though you might find any of them a bit undersized. Might as well start someplace though, nobody says your stuck with the first bike you buy. :thumb:

C

CaNaDiAn,Eh?

On your signature it says that you already ride an SV 650. If you have any previous riding experience I seriously doubt your going to be happy with a 125 playbike, especially at your size. Why not try to find a used Kawasaki KDX 200 or 220? They are great bikes that you can putt around on or ride hard when you don't have your kid along. They aren't motocross bikes but if you are planning on going to the track non-competitively it'll be a far sight better than the KLX 125. It is a 2 stroke so you will have to mix oil and gas of course. But other than that you don't need to do anything other than the usual maintainence. I've never had any problems with mine. If you want a four stroke a XR 200 or 250 would also be a good choice. Neither are quite on the scale of the KDX though, you also will probably find the 200 a bit small. You can't buy a new XR 200 as they have been discontinued (and replaced with a CRF 230) however, you can always find them used for a good price. The KDX is liquid cooled and has more hop-up potential than the XR's which are aircooled. Personally at your size I would go with a KDX 220/200 or an XR 250 I am your height and feel pretty cramped on those little 125's. You won't have that 125 long before you get hooked on dirtbiking and wish you had gotten a bigger more powerful bike.

theroyz71

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2003
Thank you for your thoughts. I was leaning to the klx125L for a couple of reasons:

1. It's cheap.
2. It's a 4 stroke and should be good for low speed 5 year old chasing.
3. It would make a good bike for the wife to start on. She is 5'7" and 150#.
4. Did I mention it's cheap.

I know this will not be the last dirt bike I buy. I would consider it a foot in the door. I agree that the kdx200 is a great bike and would probably my first choice, all else being equal.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Originally posted by TwoStroker
How tall is you wife? Maybe your play bike can become hers when you son gets a little faster.

How'd you ever come up with that idea? :laugh:

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
My dad(6'1") and I(5'7") both have KDX's and my step mom(5'10") would have rode my dads bike on rides(he would ride his D/S). But then she had my baby sister so now we don't get to all go very often(sitters are hard to get around my place). Also I've seen a lot of women on TT-R125's and KLX125's lately. I was figuring he didn't want to ride a KLX125 for the rest of his life.:ugg:

theroyz71

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2003
How'd you do that. You read my thoughts exactly. When I get my KDX, the wife gets the KLX. If I don't get a quad that is.

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
I'm about 5'3" & ride a KDX200 & TTR125LE. The TTR I find a bit small, until I hit the ****, then it's almost perfect. It's also great for following/leading kids on 50s & other small bikes & learner riders. Having the magic button & sidestand makes my life so much easier.

However, I wouldn't want to be any taller, but I have been riding for a few years (my ability doesn't reflect this).

One of the best things I've found about having the TTR is that when I'm riding with other women on baby bikes, they see me do something & then give it a go - which if I was on my KDX I know they wouldn't. Then again, I'm keener to try things on the TTR I'm not likely to try on the KDX (too big & heavy if I have to start again).

There are taller women who've had baby bikes, but generally they want something a bit bigger as they get used to the bikes. Another bike to look at is the GG Pampera, which is a trials motor in an enduro frame & has a lower seat height than other 250's (also becoming popular amongst women over here).

theroyz71

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2003
Michelle,
Does the seat height on the KDX give you any trouble? I know the KDX is really the best bike for me but a new one is not in the budget at the moment. Perhaps I should look at a used one. Although, Kawasaki has pretty good terms right not.

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
It depends on where I'm riding. I don't notice it being too tall when I'm riding it, but then can get myself into more trouble on it than I do on the TTR. It's hard to explain. I have got the longer dogbones on it for me and a lighter spring (stock is 5kg, I've gone with 4.4kg).

Have a look in the for sale forum. If you know it's really the best bike for you, go for it. You may never pass it on to your wife, but I'd guess you'd be better off with the KDX. You can do all sorts to suit your riding style/preference, so could alter the bike if you do decide to get your wife to try it (i.e. stock pipe over an aftermarket one is a huge difference).

As for new v used, the KDX hasn't changed since 1996, except BNG's (bold new graphics).
Hope that helps some - I just don't think you or your wife would be happy with a KLX125 for very long as neither of you are small folk (my husband is 5'11" & enjoys riding the TTR, but that's more as a joke & never for long). He steals the KDX when I'm on the 125 & it's become another bike for him (stock dogbones go back into it).

Whoops, forgot to mention - until I got the TTR, I used to follow kids on a LT80 (quad, slow rider) and XR80 (or lead, whichever). The bike handles this fine too (got a PC pipe & FMF muffler, rad valve, modified airbox lid) but is fine handling the quicker rides too. The one pain is I've taken off the sidestand due to it being bent because of the lowering of the bike. I've changed the spark plug a few times in the 3-1/2 years I've had the bike - fouled it once, replaced twice due to wanting a fresh one for a race. The time it fouled was due to a rag being left in the carb (both my husband & I thought the other had taken it out, of course as it's my bike I get the blame totally for it).

Depending on how confident I am of the kids riding, if I'm following them, I either let them go a bit & then chase them down or go right behind them - same as leading. I don't have my own kids (thank god), but ride with friends & theirs, hence I ride with different abilities & ages & bikes.
Michelle

Last edited:

Workman

Oct 26, 2003
I have owned a KLX 250, RM125, WR250F, and now own a KDX 200. All of the bikes were great at low speeds except the RM (obviously because it is a race bike). My old KLX was a great first bike. My only complaint was it was sometimes hard to start when hot. I am 5'9" 170lbs. The WR is usually a great bike but mine was a lemon. I had it four months and had nothing but trouble so I sold it. Not to mention it was very expensive and is a heavy bike. My KDX is not a whole lot lighter but the 2 stroke carries its weight lower and doesnt feel tippy. Had I known how much fun the KDX was and how easy it was to ride, it would have been my first and last bike. I do not race but ride a lot of trails with friends who are experienced riders. We usually ride pretty aggressively and I dont have trouble keeping up. But I can also lug it around at low speed whenever I want. Also when we stop, my bike is always easy to re start due to the 2 stroke engine. KDX's can be found used at very reasonable prices you just have to look around. Good Luck!

Top Bottom