looking for opinions/ ulitmate trail bike

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Scar.

If I were you, I would try the XR400. Great trail bike. A little tall for us vertically challenged spodes, but, at your size you should have no problem with it.

As you know, I have an old XR350 and a new WR400. The WR is a fantastic bike. I love it on a track or under racing conditions. But, for trail riding, the old XR is pretty hard to beat. With your experience on the thumper, you would probably like the XR400.

See ya tomorrow at Big Bear.;)

Oct 30, 2000
ultimate trail bike is the topic and the duude is coming off what was considered the ultimate (open) trail bike.

i came to the xr4 after innumerable xr6s' (from an 85rf onwards).

the xr4 is much better in tighter stuff than the xr6 but the 520, wrf & drz are on the next level. they are the next evolution. i rekon the drz will end up replacing the xr6/xr4 as "everymans dirtbike".

go the "best" & newest bike you can afford & RIDE

(hitting the beach, tracks & dunes tomorrow, yay! there'll be a mix of bikes, domoinated by xr4s but including a 520, 620, xr6, husky wr250, rmx250, cr500 all the way down to a tt350 & a xr250. no wrfs in our eclectic group yet):cool:

tm-enduro

Mar 7, 2001
Anyone who has ridden one will tell you that the Husaberg FE (400 or 501) is CLEARLY the ultimate trail bike (or race bike). Cost and maintenance aside, nothing compares withe the 'berg (light weight, narrow, great ground clearance, great handling, extremely forgiving in gnarly terrain, and fast). If I had a local dealer and deeper pockets, would own one again. I owned a '92 'berg FE501 and put over 4,000 miles on it without a single problem (wish I had kept it). Since KTM took them over the valve train needs regular maintenance. If you can afford it, look no further.

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
How about a VOR 400 enduro. The VOR enduros generally come with licensable titles, and all the connections on the wiring harness to add turn signals, horn and such to make it street legal.

RM80kid

Jan 2, 2001
Do you know what i don't under stand? Why peple can't enjoy a stock bike. I have a KLX 300 and it tops out at 85. It is a perfect bike to dule sport its as light maby alittle more then the WR 250 F. So it flys through the trails. Also, it only has alittle less bottom then the XR 250 but much more on top. If u want to go faster then 85 then ur messed up. high way speed is 65-70. So i defidentaly say KLX. But i don't think u need any mods. The only other bike i think would be good is the DRZ-400.Just do the free mods. And if that isn't enoungh for the KLX then the most worth while mod is a Pumper carb.
Chris
97 KLX 300

mtngoat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
I think one of the mods available for the XR4 is an automatic petcock valve which avoids the embarassment of forgetting to turn it back on in the middle of a ride. That will be my final input on that subject. :p

VIRGINIAXR

Jun 27, 2000
I'd have to agree with the majority here that the XR400 would be a better choice than the XR250. I came off a 94 XR250 (older design) and onto a 2000 XR400. I didn't even notice the weight difference and the better ergonomics made the bike even easier for me to handle in the tight trails. I didn't notice the power as much until I got back on the 250, then it seemed like a substantial difference in power. You can probably find an already licensed XR400 if you're shopping the used bike market.

I agree the DRZ400 would be an excellent choice for your size as well. A little tall for me at 5'8".

I've never ridden the KLX so can't offer any input here. For me, it always looked like a good bike being shorter and lighter.

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
Originally posted by mtngoat
I think one of the mods available for the XR4 is an automatic petcock valve which avoids the embarassment of forgetting to turn it back on in the middle of a ride. That will be my final input on that subject. :p

Yeah Yeah Yeah.:confused: :confused: :confused:
thanks again for Sat.

To all: I had a chance to ride, follow, and lead xr400 and klx's this weekend. and I tell you the xr 600 if yu can handle the wieght has the awesome motor of the group. my next choice would be the klx.( it was so light and nimble.) the xr 4 ws good, but lower on power than the 6 and nowhere near as nimble and light as the klx. (especially in the boulders.) :D

Marklx

May 24, 2001
KLX. The trail skills and weight have been covered here already. Just spent a day at an MX track and had a great time there as well. The bike did not embarass. The light weight and tight steering were great. Suspension didn't whimper either. If only my wrist were as capable.:scream:

Have the Baja designs kit waiting to be wired up, so figure I'm getting a bit of everything good with this bike. Lots of fun for the $.

Mark G.

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Questions for you, scar tissue- I've owned an XR600, does the KLX's handling & weight make up for the lack of motor? How much less powerful does the motor feel compared to the XR600? It's the only other 4-stroke I've ever ridden. Otherwise, I've only ridden CR250's & other Euro MX bikes.

Have you seen how cheap used KLX's are? Most already have all the mods you'd ever want, many are even steet licensed. I used to swear I'd only ride Hondas. But I don't know- I'm really starting to think these KLX's are right up my alley, which sounds just like you. :o

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
Originally posted by zio
does the KLX's handling & weight make up for the lack of motor? How much less powerful does the motor feel compared to the XR600?

Have you seen how cheap used KLX's are? Most already have all the mods you'd ever want, many are even steet licensed. I used to swear I'd only ride Hondas. But I don't know- I'm really starting to think these KLX's are right up my alley, which sounds just like you. :o

FYI The klx I rode was stone stock.

Re: handling vs. power It depends. I didn't do any radical hill climbs on the KLX as it wasn't my bike, and my 600 rocks on hill climbs. In open dessert the xr6 would still be king. but in the tight trees, rocks and track the klx is point and go. I found it smaller (which I like even thought I am 6'3") so I felt I could throw it around.
Secondly I had the opportunity to see some masters at work this weekend in Big Bear (see ride reports ) there were 2 klx's right in front of me going up John Bull the hardest trail and they just walked up and around all the boulders. and I bounced off most of them. ( I 'm not sure how much of that was rider related but they looked sweet).
On the malcom smith steep rocky hill climb (where there were several get offs.) I powered up bouncing off rocks as I went and the KLX's followed just fine.

I did notice I had to shift alot more I seemend to blow throught the power band quicker. I would gear it down a bit more than stock and even go with some engine hop ups. with those mods and being street legal it'll be hard to beat.

I haven't checked the prices but am seriously leaning that way. I to have mostly been on Hondas CR500, CR250 and learned on a CR125, but the KLX just seemed like I could ride it all day and not be wiped out.(which is good now that I'm getting Ol..., well you know)

FYI I did see a license plated CR500 up there. I have no idea how that happened but he legally got a plate for it. WOW. :cool:

One Dollar

Mar 15, 2001
KLX

another vote for the KLX here. I found a 2000 model in March with over $1000 worth of mods for $3500. Look around. Even a stock one used with only the free intake/exhaust mods will be worth it. A pumper and header ($500) really increases the already usuable power. it is much lighter and better handling than the XR's and is way more forgiving to your spodely mistakes :). And don't believe all the hype about hard starting, the proper technique, and possibly a hot start ($75) lliminate any starting difficulties.

KLX4smoke

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2001
My last bike was a DR350 that weighed 294 lbs (fluids but no gas) and now I have a KLX which weighs 244 lbs (fluids but no gas) and I really like it. For trail riding it is real flickable, it jumps way better than I do, and mine starts easy for me. I have no idea why, but when I dump it the bike usually stays running! I vote for a KLX. :)

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Go for either the XR400R or XR250R. If you get the 250, you can add a 280 kit as well as tons of other stuff. Scott Summers is lethal on a modded XR250R.

longtime

Oct 7, 1999
Now Vernon -- you know that that endorsement would carry more weight if you hadn't posted one for sale at the same time, right? :D

One Dollar

Mar 15, 2001
Originally posted by KLX4smoke
My last bike was a DR350 that weighed 294 lbs (fluids but no gas) and now I have a KLX which weighs 244 lbs (fluids but no gas) ...

that's strange...I weighed my KLX with a full tank of gas (up to thr cap!) and it came in at 245 lbs. might want to check your scale.

BTW I have riden a XR250 and the KLX300 with even the free mods will perform better in the tight stuff. The XR's suspension makes it feel like there is a hinge in the middle. (this is my opinion guys, others may vary :) )

KLX4smoke

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2001
One Dollar, I just weighed my KLX again and it was full of gas and all fluids, 260 lbs. The bike was weighed on a Pelouze 400 pound postal type scale that showed that I weighed exactly the same as my bathroom scale shows. The bike has aluminum bark busters, and a roll chart holder, and the stock pipe. Any mods on yours that would make it lighter? Maybe your scale is incorrect? the 2.4 gallon tank should hold about 17 pounds of gas.

One Dollar

Mar 15, 2001
I checked my scale against other heavy objects (mainly myself :) and other portly friends). The dry weight is listed at 231.5 lbs. I know water weighs about 8lbs a gal. and I'm not sure of the specific gravity of gas but say it's close then the 2.6 gal tank (9.8 liter) of gas weighs in at around 21 lbs.

I do have a FMF PC4Q silencer and stroker header which does shave a few pounds (3-4 would be my estimate). I also have taken the lights off and put on a front # plate and mx rear fender (but that shouldn't save too much), and aluminum handlebars

That's all I can think of. click on my sig to see pic.

cujet

Aug 13, 2000
I ride a street legal Husky 360 2 stroke. At 230 lbs dry it is very light. It also is very fast and capable. I used to ride an XR600 so I know where you are coming from. I enjoy the fact that I crash far less now too. As far as low end torque, the Husky is a powervalved big bore so it has way more than enough.

I also like KTM's big bore 4 strokes, A LOT! They are great bikes and very light.

Chris

tlm

Feb 20, 2001
I have an 01 KLX with the free mods and Stroker head pipe, FMF power Core II and a Baja Kit with a Ca. plate. I am 5' 11' and 210lbs. I like moonlight rides, a nice bottle of wine but prefer the sound of a four stroke.

I tried the 400Z-E, too heavy, great motor and love the button. Tried WR-426, not a green stickered bike in Ca. Liked it a lot but my shin hurt after starting it often. Tried the XR-400 and loved the toroque but felt more like riding a rocking horse on the trails.

The KLX is a quick and nimle bike that can be tailored easily to your needs and riding style. I do not regret my purchase.

Tim

Uechi45

Dec 11, 2000
KLX all the way! I have a 1999 with all the free mods. Richen up the jetting a bit (132 main and bump the needle 1 notch) and you will get even more power. Any more power in the type of trails I ride would just give me more tire spin. Starts first kick all the time. Can't say enough good things about it. I'm having just as much fun as my friend is on his new KTM520 for $4,400 less! As a mater of fact, just bought a 1997 for my son and I think it's faster than mine. I'll have to de-tune it when he's not looking so I'll be able to keep up with him!

Top Bottom