looking for opinions/ ulitmate trail bike

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
Here the deal" I'm never satisfied" I like my current XR600, yet it's heavy and bulky for tight trails.

I'm looking for a semi-street legal bike I can play ride and take on trails. I don't ever ride on the street but alot of the local trails require duel sport. I am considering a used xr 250 and going with a 280 kit, pipe, and gearing it way down. I've heard alot of good things about this little thumper. I don't care much about top end speed but I don't want to be shifting like crazy either. What do you guys think?

I thought of the xr400, but the 250 only weighs an advertised 240lbs.

Fyi I'm 6'3" and weigh 220 lbs.

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
I never thought of that bike. I see it wieghs only an advertised 230lbs. I might have to look into that one also. Do you know if you can get a plate for them???

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
What about a WR250 with a 300CC kit, Dirt Bike liked it a lot. My personal choice is a KTM 200 because I too had a XR 600 and I hate hard starting heavy bikes, better to have light easy starting and good handling bikes! That said, I loved that engine on the 600! So I guess I have not helped you much, but I'm not sure you will find a consensus on this because like they say.... opinions are like #@#% everyone has one.
Do you homework, figure out what YOU want and go for it!

Good Luck !!!
Kevin
:cool:

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Also if you are not into REALLY being street legal, you can license it in Vermont!!!!!

Kevin

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
You could go for an XR250L, they are street legal and will go on any trail you can find, unless it involves going over big jumps. I vote for an XR250R or L. Good bikes, and you can pick up a nice used one for a good price. Hop up potential galore!!

longtime

Oct 7, 1999
Scar -- Yes, you can plate a KLX300 in Cal. -- legally. They, the Xr's, and the ATK's, are the only bikes that the manufacturers bothered to get Cali. emissions clearance for. I have been thinking long and hard about a KLX -- do a search for them and you'll see they have a lot of "true believers". They are last generation (like the XR's, and thus behind the new WR-f's, etc), but they are very lightweight, great-handling bikes. Remember, though, that they'll have a lot less torque than your 600. But with the pumper carb, idler gear, etc, I'll bet you could grow to love one. :) I know it's on my short list. . . . :p

TTRSean

Jul 5, 2001
How about the TTR250

I have a ttr250 and it handles trails very well. It is not the fastest bike out, however, it is strong trail power. E-Start helps when you get stuck on a hill and don't have an easy way of kicking it b/c of lack of leverage. I have dumped it, stalled it flooded it and it always starts with a push of a button. It is heavy but if your not doing freestyle and motocross than you don't notice it. The bike handles junk well and rocks and hills and mud ruts with ease. It has a full loop under the rear fender for mounting things like L-Plates and turn signals so conversion would be simple. I have a friend that has a kdx and that is also a nice bike 2 stroke fast but I like 4 strokes.

Oct 30, 2000
if you dont want high end -ultimate- stuff (ktm520, 426, ect) get an xr4; cheap, relyable, still pretty small and manouverable, ok power (more avail with carb & bore), ok trail suspension, ect.

i'd probably only go smaller (xr280 or bored ttr or drz250??) if i was really only riding tight snotty stuff all the time.

for general trail riding (includes fanging around as well as cruising) a bit of extra power = extra fun

enjoy!

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
Since you are comming off a big heavy fast XR, I say WR 426. It will be lighter than the XR by far and just as fast. I think if you go with anything less you will be disapointed with the power or suspension. What good is a light bike if it wont go as fast or handel as well as you are used to?? Justify the higher cost by knowing that it will need very little aftermarket stuff and you can ride it for many years before it will be as outdated as the KLX or XR 400 will be when you roll them off the showroom floor.

sparkymarky

Feb 21, 2001
i can't imagine you'd be that happy with a 250 at your size. i'd look at an xr400 or klx300. both are easily street licensed in california (i have a 2001 klx300). as a 160 lb intermediate rider, i wouldn't want any less power than the klx. the 400 would probably be satisfactory without any motor mods.

either one is way lighter than your xr600, and also way better handling on tight trails. i also considered wr426 and drz400, but i'd have to do the big runaround to get one of them registered in california. if i were doing it all over again, i might get the xr400, but i was just a beginner then, and i couldn't imagine needing more power than a 300 off-road. haha.
mw

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
thanks for all the reply's. as LT said, getting bikes plated in Calfornia limits the choices. :(

Without a plate some of the fun trials are eliminated out here. :( Iknow thunbs gets bummed when we go and his red sticker is out.

Re: lack of power of the xr250 or klx 300. thats my biggest concern. but with the 60+lbs lighter wieght(over my XR600) and engine mods + gearing them way down, I'm curious how they'd do.

mtngoat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
For your size and weight (and considering that you ride an XR6), I wouldn't consider an XR250. The XR4 weighs about 16 lbs more and has more suspension. That weight difference is somewhat tempered by practical trail-riding.

The XR4 is dated, but in many respects I think it's timeless. And, there's a boatload of very effective engine and suspension mods, which can make it one of the most trail-worthy bikes available, IMHO.

Plus, there's just something neat about refining a dirtbike to suit your personality that makes it uniquely yours. On the other hand, there have been times when I wish I had what I want out of the box.

Considering the number of XR4s (with various mods) that'll be on the Big Bear ride, you should have an opportunity to fly-before-you-buy.

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
Farmer:

I two have graced a CR500 saddle. Shockingly straight off a CR125. Believe me I learned throttle control quickly :cool: Lets see maybe I should run for govenor and change the laws on what we can get plated:D That would solve my delima.

Mtngoat.

I was always leaning towards that bike, but was thinking even lighter if it'd work. Honestly I'd love a ktm 520 (best of both worlds) but price and plates are an issue.

As for customizng and making it your own, that what I'm al about, always hav been. you'll probrably notice that on my xr600. see you this weekend.

Last edited:

Derhntr

May 1, 2001
Sounds like you need the Suzuki DRZ400s. Street legal, add new tires and play in the dirt.

Me I only play in the dirt so I went with the DRZ kicker came with a title so she sporting a plate.

Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
I really can't imagine that you are going to be happy on a XR250 coming of a 6-hunny. As mentioned before, the 400 would be, no, is my choice. I am selling it, but that has nothing to do with the bike itself.
I actually have mine plated and ride it to the grocery store every now and then.
Yes the XR's are dated....until you modify them. They can still turn heads except for in the woods...that's where YOU will have to turn your head and look behind you wondering when they'll catch up:p

WR 250

Mar 17, 2000
I definitly consider the KLX 300. Because it hasn't changed in the past few years it doesn't get any press. My brother has one and ironically enough he had a used '87 XR 600 for years before he bought the KLX. He likes his bike, it is light, decent power, slim ergos, lower seat height from the XR and has been reliable. It is sometimes a ******* to get started but he has been doing a lot better now that he has had some time and experience with the bike.

The XR 600 was a big heavy pig with a lot of power. The XR 400 is a big heavy pig with less power. Check into the KLX.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
The XR400 may have more low end power, but the DRZ400 is a better performing bike in every other way, IMO. It's heavy, but carries its weight well, though you do notice it under braking and when weaving through the tight stuff.

Even though you are not supposed to be able to get a CA plate on the DRZ or other 'red sticker' bikes, there are thousands of guys who have figured out ways to do it.

The KLX is light and a lot of fun after you put a big bore and some suspension work on it. With the right mods, I'd say it is right up there with a well set up DRZ.

BTW, I had an XR280 dual sport and was dissapointed with the performance. My '90 KDX200 would run rings around it, so I dual sported that and sold the XR.

For me, the ultimate trail bike has to be a 200-250 two stroke, but I could live with a KTM400 or DRZ if I had to. :)

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
The XR400 belies its weight when you're out on the trails. I came off an XR500, and there is no comparison. Even with the same basic engine the 400 is light years ahead in the suspension/chassis department.

And when I get an A-Loop kit, it'll be even better!

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
I rode an '88 XR628 - Al Baker kit - that was street legal. Big, heavy, hard starting but Oh, my god fast. I currently own a '99 WR400 - dual sported. My wife's bike is a '92 XR250R - street legal. If I'm riding by myself I take the XR - the worse the trail the better the bike performs. The XR IS the ultimate trail/survival bike - it has never let me or anybody else that has ridden it down. It's been to Baja a couple of times. The only things it doesn't deal well with are deep sand & whoops. The tractor low 1st gear makes up for the lack of power in the truly ugly situations. Will the bike win any drag races? Who are you kidding. Does it have the right combination of power & gearing to make miserable trails enjoyable? Absolutely. I say it's a trials bike with suspension & a seat. The KLX is even shorter than the XR & at 6'3" you'll have trouble with it.

I was seriously considering doing the 6 Days of Nor Cal this year & I was probably going to take the XR instead of WR. There's a lot to be said for bullet proof. Not to mention the fact that the XR seat is soooo much more comfy.

Oh, yeah - I'm 6'4"/250#. My wife's XR has Thumper Racing +1" bar risers & a 1.5" taller seat - she's 5'11". The seats a little tall for her but just right for me:) The XR250 will remain in our stable for a long, long time

Brian

Top Bottom