Looking for people to ride with in UT

jackdx

Jan 6, 2000
I'm moving to Utah this fall to go to school in Provo. I have been riding bikes for seven years on an assortment of bikes. I like to ride mostly trails and I'm interested in doing some racing. My current ride is a YZ 250, but I'm selling it and getting a DRZ 400 in July (ordered it yesterday).

Anybody that can show me some good hard technical trails please respond.

jim

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
Not BYZoo! The horror. :p

Anyway, if you want to ride tracks there are several in the area. MX Action has a guide to every states tracks on their web site: MX Tracks

E-mail me when you get here and maybe we can go for a ride and drink some beer :eek:

Last edited:

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
Well then, maybe we can have that beer. ;)

Another place a lot of folks ride is the dunes. You need flags and it is real hot in the summer, but when it is wet, I hear the sand is great. There are also some trails around Alpine and between Draper and Orem on South Mountain. My bikes aren't registered yet so I try to stay off public land.

mknight

Jun 14, 2000
Jim.....where in Idaho are you moving from? I do a lot of riding in the Island Park area in the summer and have been to the St. Anthony dunes several times. I hate to advertise it (for selfish reasons), but Utah is a great place to ride. Considering that you are moving to Utah Valley, you are also at a pretty happy medium for riding opportunities. If you are willing to drive a few hours you have access to just about every riding location in the state. A few of the previous posts have given you good ideas. The Motocross Action site with the tracks liste is pretty comprehensive of the tracks in Utah. Additionially, usraonline.com is a good site for the racing schedule in Utah. USRA is one of two race series that occur in Utah. USRA sponsors a motocross series, desert series, and Grand Prix series. Most of the races are put on by local clubs (i.e. SageRiders, Desert Foxes, etc.). I know of only one website for one of the clubs (sageriders.com). The other racing series is the WildWest Series. This is a motocross series within Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, and Nevada. They used to have a decent website last year (wildwestseries.com) but it doesn't seem to be up now. Any of the local dealers will have a schedule.

As far as trail riding is concerned.....there are some great opportunities close to Provo. I have never ridden, but know of a lot of single track trails in the mountains above Provo in American Fork Canyon (check out ruxtonnoble.com). Additionally directly to the west of Provo/Lehi area there is the 5 Mile Pass OHV area. This is a lot of old mining roads and trails in mountains covered with cedar trees. South of that is probably the most popular OHV area in the state, the Little Sahara Sand Dunes (also known as Jericho) (planetsand.com). To the south of Provo you have the San Rafael Swell (vlj.com) and Moab. You can also travel further south to St. George for some great riding. To the north of you, Salt Lake itself doesn't have much other than the Jordan River Raceway (state run track that used to be pretty good when privately operated). To the west of there, about 85 miles there is Knolls.....one of my family's favorite spots. This is a small mountain range on the edge of the salt flats with a lot of very open desert style riding.....a blast if you like to go fast on desert single track and there are a lot less of the drunken idiots you find at the dunes. And then, to the north in the Ogden area there is a great single track trail system known as the Skyline trail. These are minutes from Ogden and you can ride about 30-40 miles of single track. There are comparable trails further north in the Logan area as well.

When you get here send me an e-mail and I may be able to point you in the direction of some trails, or other people/resources, or potentially even hook up and do some riding with you. I'm between Ogden and Salt Lake and usually only get out to ride a few times a month because I have a family and other responsibilities that limit my time.

Also check out http://svtcobra.yi.org/xr400/photos.html for some great photos and ideas of riding opportunities in Utah. The creator of that site is in the Provo area and has a lot of the rides documented via a Photo Journal.

Y

Yz250Noob

Joining a racing association

Does anyone have information on how to join one of these associations? Where the tracks are at I am up to date on but not the joining part? Any help would be appreciated! :)

Top Bottom