83XR500R

Mar 16, 2007
The 83 XR5 I bought a few weeks ago is LOUD. It has a Supertrap. I got a rediculous deal on the bike and I've done all basics, oil/filter, air cleaner, LED tail light, full suspension lube, fork seals. Should I try to find an old stock muffler or is there an economical aftermarket alternative. I still need to go through the carbs to get rid of a low end stumble when pinning the throttle from low revs, shouldn't be a big deal, if I roll into it slowly into the low/midrange and pin it it's awsome...just received a factory manual in the mail. I want this thing QUIET. If I can shut this thing up I'll be able to ride just about anywhere here in NM. Thanks.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
How many discs are you currently running on the SuperTrapp?

83XR500R

Mar 16, 2007
Looks like 16. I'm not familiar with the Trapps but thats what I count from the end of the pipe to the "end cap".

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
When you get to a high number of discs like that there is very little "muffling" going on. It provides very little restriction, so there is a corresponding increase in the noise levels.

Try running it with around 4-6 discs and see if the sounds levels are more in line with what you are looking for.

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
83xr500r, where in NM are you?
If you change the plates and its still too loud,
I have an old '83-'84 (??) stock muffler out in the shed.
I bought it just to get the headpipes. (package deal)
I will have to check to see if it's any good though, as its been sitting out there for a few years...... :ohmy:
I'm from Farmington, and if it's any good you can have it.

83XR500R

Mar 16, 2007
Thanks

I'll remove a few...more like ten disks and see what happens. I have a feeling it may still be loud...but thanks for the advice. OnAnySunday I was actually thinking of a stock muffler. Are they real quiet? I'm not woried about power...apparently from what my shop manual says they have 41 HP stock...more than enough. I'm quite sure I'll at worst end of with even more low end grunt. I've no need to rev out and go 90MPH or whatever this thing will do. I'm in Albuquerque. There's a cycle junkyard nearby and if they don't have anything I'm happy to use my USPS account and take yours if it's in good shape. I don't mean to be picky about your generous offer but I'm trying to keep the bike pretty tight. Thanks...and I can Paypal you something for your trouble if we end up doing something. Thanks so much.---Will.

83XR500R

Mar 16, 2007
I took out ten disks and ran with 6 with a moderate decrease in sound...still annoying...but a huge decrease in power to my surprise. It lost much more power than sound! I'll keep trying. I'm going to the bike junkyard today.

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
83xr500r, i checked out the old stock muffler in the shed, and i sure hope you find one at the yard!
Apparently the baffle or something inside has broken or rusted off.
There is a loud rattle in it if you shake it, and unlike modern mufflers the endcap is welded shut.
I honestly dont think it could be repaired without cutting it apart, welding the baffle back in, and welding it back together again.

My apologies. I should have checked its condition first.

But if ya need a '79 yz400 muffler i got one brand new in the box!
LOL!!! :whoa:

brushwacker

Feb 20, 2002
83xr500r

You should take the supertrap apart and check if it has any packing in it. There is a rivet under the clamp, take it out and you can get the core to come out of the shell. It will come out the large end. You may have to tap the inner portion of the supertrap with a drift to get it started. Wrap new packing around the core and stick that thing back together. Cut the head off of a nail leaving about 1/4" of the nail with it, line up the hole the rivet came out of, put the nail in and place the clamp over the nail to hold it in place. New packing will quiet that thing down. Supertrap also makes an insert to go inside the core that will quiet it down more. I hope this will be of some help.

Donald

Top Bottom