looking for real feedback on 03 cr250 mods

mbaird

May 25, 2006
before I fall prey to marketing hype and inconclusive magazine tests, I was hoping I could get some feedback from guys that have actually done them.
I am thinking of raising my compression a tad and adding
an aftermarket pipe (fatty probably).
I would also like to here from any of you that have done clutch mods. ( plates, baskets, etc.)
My riding consists of moderate to agressive trail riding in the mountains of Idaho. I am also planning to ride the Idaho City
ISDE qualifier next June.

Let me know what mods you have done and how you felt about the results ( were they cost effective?)

tony91

~SPONSOR~
Jan 30, 2002
Initial Mods
MX Bonz Airbox fix
13/49 gearing
Rad Valve
Extensive carb tuning
PC pipe and PC Shorty
Straight C-12

Recent Mods
Eric Gorr Overbore (265) and "Mo betta" Porting
RC valve tuning
All steel clutch plates
Flywheel weight
Stock Pipe and PC Full length silencer
13/48 gearing

Future Mods
PWK
FMF Fatty
V-Force

I started with the gearing, pipe and silencer, Rad valve, and straight C-12. With those "bolt-on's" and lots carb tuning, I had a really fun, capable bike to ride.

I got a little bored and was leaning towards a 4T. As a last ditch effort to stay away from the darkside :p , I sent my jug off for the overbore and porting mods. It came back an absolute beast! I couldn't be happier with Eric's work. It's stronger off the bottom with plenty of over rev. I started fooling with the RC valve, got it to where I liked it (11mm). I liked the mid-range better with the stock pipe and felt no bottom or top-end loss versus the PC pipe. I tried the shorty too which seemed to kill the mid-range and over rev. To help with traction and to tame it just a tad, I went with all steal clutch plates and a 9oz FW weight. You will lose some "feel" with all steal plates, but it did help smooth things out a bit. And along with the FW weight, traction is improved.

I need to work on my jetting more. I think I can improve there. I'm looking for a deal on Fatty as Eric recommends it on his overbore jobs. Also, do a search on the PWK carb swap, lots of folks here swear by it. I’m looking for a deal there too.

I had it to do all over again, I would go with Eric's work and the race gas first...then play with the bolt-on's. And I really can't say enough about Eric's mods....no 4T for at least another season... ;)

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
tony91 said:
I need to work on my jetting more. I think I can improve there. Also, do a search on the PWK carb swap, lots of folks here swear by it. I’m looking for a deal there too.

the keihin solved the jetting problems on my '02.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
I have to second the 2mm overbore (265cc) from Eric Gorr. I had the Mo' Betta porting as well. He does quality work and is a great guy to deal with. I ran a PWK carb with a Fatty pipe. The bike pulled much harder and sooner off of the bottom. Had a very strong midrange with good overrev. Ended up using a 12oz. flywheel weight which not only improved traction, but made the bike almost stall-proof on trails and hills. If I bought another 250, I would do these mods again as they made a night-and-day difference widening the powerband.

Top Bottom