Looking for Riding spots in Northern California

billygray

Feb 21, 2004
Good Morning......so nice to see a collection of enthusiasts in one spot. It's always very homey in dirtbike land. This is probably how it felt when I was a baby......wrapped in swaddling clothes, wide-eyed and thirsty. Except one thing. When I was born, my folks wrapped me up in shop rags and freshly laundered cloth diapers and stuck a foam "uni" filter under my head to keep me comfy.

I'm told that's how ya do it when your Father spends 18 hours a day at his struggling 1 year new Honda Dealership. We had no cash for extra stuff so diapers were used on babies and as well as on the showroom floor for polishing up new Hondas everyday. And when the diapers ran out, Pops would strap a clean shop rag on us. No worries when you practically live at the shop. Mom used to brag about her expertise in meal preparation. 6 course meals right out of the vending machine! Didja know that if you take a tootsie roll and set it on top of an Abba-Zabba and then fold the sides of the Abba-Zabba up lengthwise that it looks like a hot dog? Cool, huh?

My brothers and I were the luckiest kids in Southern California if not the World!

I am thankful my Father kept us close and made us work. It made me what i am today. I saw, touched, smelled, and sometimes talked to every single model of Honda Motorcycle that Honda brought to the U.S. from 1963 to 1993. Thankfully my Dad loved racing. Any kind of racing. And so my siblings and I worked our butts off in return for used Z-50's, CT-90's, CT-70's, and QA-50's. My dad used rebuild everything for us into full on custom race bikes. He was an artist! His dirtbikes were fast and clean. He eventually ran a race team out of the shop and custom built each and every rider's bike. He did all the motor work on the CR's all throughout the early 70's and 80's. He carried a porting tool with him in a briefcase. It was just soooooo cool.

We ran D-37 and CRC races every other weekend. Then Indian Dunes for our start as serious mini-cycle racers. I think my older brother might have been the guy to enter the first ever SL-70 in a race in California. We made a special trip to the dock to pick up the bike, assembled it lights and all and had it on the starting line at Indian Dunes for Friday "night" mini-cycle racing. We had the only one......until the next Friday when 30 kids showed with them. It was cool.

Anyhow, I have great memories and feel very blessed. The Business was sold while i was in College and I've sinced married the coolest gal on the planet, Fathered 6 kids, enjoy life in Laguna Beach when I'm not 50 floors up in the downtown hi-rise where I making a living as a maniac Wall Street guy. Which leads me to my point and my presence here. It's time to go riding!!!!!

We're heading to Northern Cal for a couple of years and I've got the kids all set up with two new Honda XR-70's, an XR-50, and an 85 SX KTM. M. Smith set up a new KTM 525EXC for me. It's beautiful!

We plan on riding a lot. We're going to take a year or two off from 5 soccer games every saturday, and the weekday parade of kids to swim team workouts, jr lifeguard, lacrosse, basketball, baseball, gymnastics, and ballet to go riding!!!!!!

I need help....I have no idea where to go???? We prefer to steer clear of MX tracks with the little ones at first. I would love suggestions on open area and trail riding anywhere North os San Francisco on up to Sacramento. My kids are all under the age of 14. Two are already fast fast, but the young ones need space.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks a ton! Apologies for the ramblin' stroll down memory lane.

Billy G

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Billy,
Rick's link and map has most of the good places. There is some GREAT trail riding in Northern Cal. Most of the better places are several hours drive from SF, but you can do day trips if you don't mind a long day. You are in for a treat exploring. Also check out the AMA District 36 web page for more info. www.ama-d36.org

FWIW, popular national forest areas are Stonyford (reached via I-5), Georgetown (between I-50 and I-80, east of Sacto), and Middle Creek. On the map at Rick's link, these are USFS #22, #8 and #24. Each has excellent, marked trails. Something for all skill levels. I'd try to hook up with someone who knows the area, as these places are vast.

If you call the USFS HQ for the Mendocino and El Dorado Forests, they should be able to mail you trail maps.

Last edited:

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Great story :thumb: WHereabouts in NorCal are u moving too?? My Favorite place too ride at is Hollister hills, trails are nicely marked, directional.. ANyways, welcome back too DirtBikes :thumb:
Rick
PS.. Hollister is roughly 2hrs south of SF..

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
Hollister is definitely a great place to ride if you've got small kids. There is a small oval "track" (no jumps) for little ones to get comfortable on and there are miles of trails that even beginners would have fun on. I learned how to ride there as a kid and I'm currently teaching my wife to ride there. Plus, me and rickyd could show you some fun trails if you want to go on a ride without the kids.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Nice to get to know you, billygray. When you get settled, check out Mace Mill riding area outside Georgetown. They have a small kiddy corral there for the tots. That's where my kids learned to ride. Also, check out Foresthill in Placer county. Elkins Flat in El Dorado Co. is my favorite with many enduros held here. When you're ready to do an "Adult" ride and get the socks scared off you, PM me and I'll take you in to some of the secret places. (Of course I will have to blindfold you, so you don't reveal where ******* is). If you and the kids are ready now, sign up for the Wild Piglet Family Enduro March 13 at Clear Creek. It's held the day before the Wild Boar Enduro. If you hang around, and ask, you will get lots of folks filling you in on riding areas.
See ya out there!!!

oops!! almost forgot! http://www.ama-d36.org/Raceinfo/2004FamEndR01Flyer.pdf

Last edited:
I

Irene

Where to ride?

I have a quad, and I want to see if anyone can help me find or knows of a place where you can ride in the beach in northern california( half moon bay, pacifica, monterey???)??

Thanks lots!!!

You can reply to i_rubio@sbcglobal.net.

Can anyone help me find or knows of a place where you can ride in the beach in northern california??

Thanks

Top Bottom